River City Ransom - A RPG Beat'em Up

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
River City Ransom: Underground is a new kickstarter looking for $180,000. I can't call the game a true RPG but it's described as, "An officially licensed, North American follow-up to one of the most beloved RPG beat'em ups of all time."

The Legacy

It's barely 1990. Technōs is already a household name for creating the beat'em up genre of fighting games starting with Renegade, the inaugural title in the Kunio-kun franchise, which would go on to become an iconic and prolific gaming franchise in Japan, as well as spawn the legendary fighting series, Double Dragon (1987). While most Kunio-kun games never made their way to North America, a few were localized for Western audiences: Super Dodgeball (1988), Nintendo World Cup (1990), Crash N' The Boys Street Challenge (1992), and River City Ransom (1990). The latter was unlike anything ever seen before: a "belt-scrolling" fighting game with role-playing elements. The charming North American localization only added to the game's appeal.

River City Ransom is an irreplaceable part of our gaming history, both for fans from the beginning, and those who discovered the game later during the emulation craze. This title is often cited as one of the top NES games of all time, and one of the most deserving of a sequel. We have a chance to make this a reality and give you the game you deserve. Let's do this!
More information.

hmm, nobody here played these Jp beat'em ups?

Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu was my favorite console game when I was young. It was so fun to play with friends unlike anyother game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQmNQl_yaE

here's a sample of the old one. The gameplay is as solid as they come.

Really hope to see this project pull through

I played the original back in the day, but can barely remember it now.:) Thanks for the video.

Any trime I read "ransom", I must stop myself from reading "random" ...

Back
Top Bottom