Baldur's Gate 2: EE - Patch 2.6 released

That argument might actually have some merit if everyone who's played them had done it 20 years ago. ;)

Well, the merit of the argument is that times change, and the only fair way to judge things is to take them in their own context. I'm fine with someone thinking that BG1 is the best RPG of all time. Their opinion is as good for them as mine is for me, of course.

I'm not so accepting when that opinion is imposed on me in a way that I can not have my own opinion because they have the BG trump card. My opinion is that whatever enjoyment I got out of BG in 1999 was great, and honestly I don't remember much of it. I can tell you it did not age well, at least for me. I can also tell you I've had a great time with a number of other games that to me are as good or better than BG, because they have objectively offered me many more hours of enjoyment, or because they have inspired emotions in me similar, or stronger than the ones that BG did. Those are the only tools I have to measure what I found enjoyable, trump cards be damned.

Again, someone can say "Well, in BG I cried with this NPC interaction, and this plot twist actually made me gasp, I spent the night sleepless as I got to play next day in almost depression at the loss, but then this plot thing happened, and I thought that was the most inspiring scene I've witnessed in any storytelling I ever read or watched" and I will believe them. I believe it can feel like that for them, and so be the best RPG experience they ever had. I respect that. Only that to me, it's different, and the blanket statement "BG was the best RPG and there won't be another like it for another 20 years" doesn't have any value in my book.

Kingmaker is on my list now, too. I'm not expecting it on my phone, but at least I have it running on my work laptop. :)

Well, the merit of the argument is that times change, and the only fair way to judge things is to take them in their own context. I'm fine with someone thinking that BG1 is the best RPG of all time. Their opinion is as good for them as mine is for me, of course.

I'm not so accepting when that opinion is imposed on me in a way that I can not have my own opinion because they have the BG trump card. My opinion is that whatever enjoyment I got out of BG in 1999 was great, and honestly I don't remember much of it. I can tell you it did not age well, at least for me. I can also tell you I've had a great time with a number of other games that to me are as good or better than BG, because they have objectively offered me many more hours of enjoyment, or because they have inspired emotions in me similar, or stronger than the ones that BG did. Those are the only tools I have to measure what I found enjoyable, trump cards be damned.

Again, someone can say "Well, in BG I cried with this NPC interaction, and this plot twist actually made me gasp, I spent the night sleepless as I got to play next day in almost depression at the loss, but then this plot thing happened, and I thought that was the most inspiring scene I've witnessed in any storytelling I ever read or watched" and I will believe them. I believe it can feel like that for them, and so be the best RPG experience they ever had. I respect that. Only that to me, it's different, and the blanket statement "BG was the best RPG and there won't be another like it for another 20 years" doesn't have any value in my book.

You keep quoting things that no one has said here and using them as the basis for your replies. I'm not sure if you're referring to things that were said in a different forum, but it's sort of confusing. Just saying. :)

As far as opinions, of course we all have different opinions, and that's fine. I certainly wasn't trying to imply that you had to share the same one. I'm sorry that you feel an opinion was being imposed on you, but I don't see that.

You were quite fair and respectful with your opinion JDR. I sometimes get quite vehement with my own opinion, veterans in this site know that well, so I'm not about to lecture anyone how to express their views.

It's just everytime BG1+2 come up in a thread, there is this feeling that if you say anything bad against those games, or even dare contest they were the greatest RPGs of all time, you'll have the holy inquisition coming after you with torches.

Again, you did nothing of this, I'm just ranting a bit.

I still love these games, but I wouldn't dream of claiming someone else has to love them because I do. It's not like my enjoyment becomes less because someone else doesn't like it. Even if people claim they are abhorrent dangers to society I wouldn't mind, as long as they don't try to ban them or stop me from enjoying them :)

Anyone who has ever watched a classic comedy movie their parents loved will understand that enjoyment is subjective...

It's just everytime BG1+2 come up in a thread, there is this feeling that if you say anything bad against those games, or even dare contest they were the greatest RPGs of all time, you'll have the holy inquisition coming after you with torches.
Yeah, just ignore it. Whoever means that a certain game has no flaws should not be taken seriously.
For me personally BG2 and TW3 (especially B&W) are the greatest RPGs of all time. But still I see their flaws and the fact that strengths and flaws are weighted differently by different gamers.

Have to agree try making fun or criticizing the Gothic games around here as well.:biggrin:

Yeah, just ignore it. Whoever means that a certain game has no flaws should not be taken seriously.
For me personally BG2 and TW3 (especially B&W) are the greatest RPGs of all time. But still I see their flaws and the fact that strengths and flaws are weighted differently by different gamers.

I think opinions are ususually very reasonable here at The Watch, but that sort of thing is exactly why I avoid sites like Reddit and other more frequented places on the net. I think the Steam forums just might be the worst.

It's funny, I do own BG2:EE on Steam, so it thinks I also own BG1:EE, at least up until I try to grab Siege of Dragonspear. I wanted to play SoD, but to play that you have to buy BG1:EE, which I can't. It's mucked up somewhere.

It's funny, I do own BG2:EE on Steam, so it thinks I also own BG1:EE, at least up until I try to grab Siege of Dragonspear. I wanted to play SoD, but to play that you have to buy BG1:EE, which I can't. It's mucked up somewhere.

I don't understand. What makes you think that Steam thinks you own BG1EE if you don't? The only thing I would think could make you think that would be BG1EE being in your Steam library… are you saying that it shows up there but you're unable to download/install it?

Yeah, my first thought is that he should double-check his library to make sure he doesn't already own it. Perhaps he accidentally put it in hidden mode. That wouldn't explain why it won't let him purchase SoD though unless he already owns that too and doesn't realize it.

Only other thing I could suggest is to submit a ticket to Steam support.

I don't understand. What makes you think that Steam thinks you own BG1EE if you don't? The only thing I would think could make you think that would be BG1EE being in your Steam library… are you saying that it shows up there but you're unable to download/install it?

Well because when I go to the BG:EE store page, it says I already own it. But it's not in my library and I don't have anything hidden. I figured it's some sort of bug.

Hmm, I just checked now and it no longer says I own it. I guess they responded to my query? Well that's good. Now I just need to wait for another sale; there's no way I'm buying that game for like the fourth time at full price.

BG1/2 were groundbreaking at their time, opening the doors for players like me who had never played D&D and associated "gaming" with being an aggressively competitive shooty, shooty boys club. The game seemed to comfortably cross over to a new audience. I've tried to play it a few times since but find it too slow and visually dated, but it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Amazon has sold Steam games for quite some time. I tend to forget and rarely check there when I'm comparing prices.
The only things I buy from Amazon are hard to find movies, and ebooks. It's such a bad interface I always get annoyed with it. And the search and filter functions are atrocious. Ugh... Just thinking about it makes my blood pressure rise :)

Back
Top Bottom