Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen

I think that they should be reported to Kickstarter for not keeping backers updated, nor delivering as promised. Nothing new, but nevertheless as many backers will be feeling cheated/scammed.

According to several German gaming magazines, one of the founders of the company that's developing Realms Beyond was trying to find a publisher as they had run out of money. He didn't find one and hasn't gotten in touch with his colleagues since. They have no idea where he is, but they can't finish and release the game without his permission. So, RB is dead, I suppose.

That sucks if it's true. I'm glad I didn't back it, but I feel bad for those who did.

I sincerely hope this wasn't a scam or ploy from the beginning. I'm apt to give people the benefit of the doubt, until proven otherwise. In any case, we're all the poorer if this project never sees the light of day.

In any case, we're all the poorer if this project never sees the light of day.

Indeed! I, for example, have this game wishlisted and I feel very sad because of all its troubling development, which may (or should I use "will"?) result in the game not being released at all :(

I don't reckon it was a scam, as such. If I recall, I eventually called them a bunch of Codex hacks with delusions of grandeur. :p I still think that's in the right ballpark.

I don't know - if what one of the devs said in discord is true then I actually consider this as a scam (i.e. full knowing KS goal wasn't enough but decided to go with it anyway, hoping KS will raise twice its goal - basically, you get money from backers even if its not enough to complete the game)

I don't know - if what one of the devs said in discord is true then I actually consider this as a scam (i.e. full knowing KS goal wasn't enough but decided to go with it anyway, hoping KS will raise twice its goal - basically, you get money from backers even if its not enough to complete the game)

I agree, but to me that's not quite a scam, which I see as a straightup attempt to cheat people (like that Ellis weirdo.) I can only go on my instincts, but I think the guy might actually be being honest to a fault here - that the whole thing is an embarrassing mess, with a "Managing Director" that shouldn't be allowed to run a lemonade stand.

With regard to knowingly asking for less money than they know they needed, I suspect that's honestly true - because I think almost every KS project does the same thing these days. They don't have a prayer of getting realistic funding, so go for what they think they can get, and hope for the best. I don't approve of it, but it rings true.

Last edited:
Hmm... If I recall not much was shown or released since the combat beta.

Yeah, but just the fact that it reached any kind of beta shows that a significant amount of work was put into it at one point.

I heard a rumour that Realms Beyond devs made a decision to provide combat beta to all backers now.

These types of things are what killed my interest in ever backing kickstarter. I remember backing Sui Generis and the programmer admitted he spent most of the money moving abroad; supposedly to be near the rest of the team. At least they did kind of release a game called Exanima. It was the combat demo of SG.

These types of things are what killed my interest in ever backing kickstarter. I remember backing Sui Generis and the programmer admitted he spent most of the money moving abroad; supposedly to be near the rest of the team. At least they did kind of release a game called Exanima. It was the combat demo of SG.

So they are selling a combat demo from a kickstarter game they failed to deliver? Wow, talk about bad practices… Exanima has pretty positive review so I suppose most people don't know about Sui Generis (like me until now)

Last edited:
Yeah, the last three years or so I'm taking a much harder look at kick starter projects now, say, compared to eight years ago. Too many shady projects left me a bit stingy and weary, at least for gaming endeavors.

So they are selling a combat demo from a kickstarter game they failed to deliver? Wow, talk about bad practices. Exanima has pretty positive review so I suppose most people don't know about Sui Generis (like me until now)
Heck I was always vocal about calling Sui Generis a scam, and got into arguments with the developer on Steam and on this forum. Nothing has changed my opinion.

The developer doesn't even have a public place to discuss as they hate any criticism leveled against them. Anyway don't except both games to be finished anytime soon.

Sure they update Exanima but it's still nothing but a combat beta.

I wouldn’t call it a scam, but it did feel like they wanted to do too much. The game was supposed to be huge, even after it was broken down into chapters, a single chapter would already be the size of a game. Every single item in the game would be hand-made. There would be loads of side quests. There were different factions and loads of C&Cs. With just a few developers this game turned out to be too big for them. They would have been better if they did not develop their dream game, but a more realistic one. And so would we.

Although we probably would complain about all the things not in the game then, but at least there would be a game to complain about :)

Too much dishonesty from developers has soured my interest also. Its okay to have a smaller Kickstarter goal but the devs should advise backers that they are seeking a publisher to pick up the rest of the tab so that backers can correctly assess the risk.

I don't believe it's a scam, but perhaps we need to scale back our expectations a bit. They may be able to put out a smaller module in the near term, then fund development as they go.

Back
Top Bottom