Fantasy Wars?

I had some trouble with the demo, too and had to download it twice; the second time it ran okay. It's a short demo, took me about twenty minutes or so to play the Orc sample, which looks like one segment of a scenario.
It's hard to tell from such a small sample, but it looks like it could be a decent turn-based strategy game--there's a little discussion about it here in this thread.

The demo was great. I just ordered the game and should receive it next week. The game got two editors awards allready:

Fantasy Wars receives another Editor's Choice Award!

Fantasy Wars scored 85% out of 100 and gained the Editor's Choice Award again. Famous Russian magazine Game World Navigator (www.gamenavigator.ru) published the review on the game and the gameplay video can be found on its DVD.

"The significance of Fantasy Wars to hexagonal games can hardly be overrated" writes Navigator. - We received a chance to bring the popularity of forgotten genre of Turn-based Strategies back".

Fantasy Wars scores 85% and receives Editor's Choice Award!

The leading Russian gaming portal Absolute Games (AG.ru) has posted a review of Fantasy Wars. The game has received an overall score of 85% out of 100 and an Editor's Choice Award.

“You fall in love with this game at the very first sight” points out AG.ru. Fantasy Wars is described as “the most colorful turn-based strategy ever created" which “deserves being the successor of Fantasy General”.

I only played the demo shortly but heres few things that came to mind:

(1) The sounds might need just lil bit of tuning. I.e the walking sounds are so silent that I can barely hear them. I really like to hear my troops march.

(2) Units seemd to gain "levels" or somthing for which you can choose perks. I didnt notice any graphical "ding!" indicator that would say which units have unchosen perks. Now I just accidently found that som units had them.

I played both missions in demo and I really liked the orc one. Not so much of the human mission but that was simply because I was overwhelmed with units and stuff. In the real campaign Im sure the units & stuff are brought to the player gradually instead of throwing it all at once.

Overall its a superb game. Especially I like the way the zoom workes. Its just so fluent and full of detail. And you can even see the individual soldiers in a unit! It works really nice. Its a good evolution for the general-series.

I enjoyed the demo. I'd been playing a lot of the great Fantasy General (a game which heavily influenced Fantasy Wars) recently and am not crazy about the presentation in the Fantasy Wars demo but it will probably be fine once I get used to it in the full game.

Back
Top Bottom