Battle Chasers: Nightwar is released on Steam

Sneaky_seal

Sentinel
Bought it, with minimal sale it's not cheap (nor that expensive) and it's JRPG at least for combats, so I took a risk, but it was looking like a quality Mac release, and anyway for some mysterious reasons I wanted try it. :)

I'll probably wait some patches, anyway I'm playing another game, Super Dungeon Tactics.

This game came out of nowhere and really surprised me positively.

It's a very good and polished throwback to the Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger style. It has quite a few twists and tricks up its sleeve though, such as world map design, quest and dungeon design etc.

Characters are all voiced most of the time, they're really likeable and each has a personality to match.

Combat wise, it's Final Fantasy with a few tweaks. You have to assign specific roles for each character or you will lose. That is nice because each character (6 in total), has a host of perks you have to choose in order to fill a role in your party of 3. The amount of content (loot, skills, perks, equipments, crafting, game length) is awesome and will keep you busy for many hours.

The story is passable but that did not disturb me at all.

All in all, a very good game. If you are into JRPGs, this is a must have.

It's a bizarre game, not exciting, but it's like you are in comfort at home doing some quiet but pleasant activity. I suppose it could please to fan of RPG in general (not those that can bear only this or that), be able explore a world and dungeons, discover NPC and lore, manage your inventory, shops, find the best way to manage combats, and so on. From about 2H of play, I haven't see anything amazing, and frankly no element seems amazing by itself, but it's a whole pleasant, coherent and you feel at home. :)

After many more hours of play, my opinion is it's an unpolished great RPG. I'm not in JRPG at all and I enjoy a lot the ride.

The key point is it is full of cool details evoking marvel of RPG, many little secrets to find, many little trick to notices, treasure maps, demons to summon, battle arena, many cool stuff to find find in the corner, a good amount of light puzzling and tricks to solve. At a place I found a device, it allows capture old memories, I activate it and then could see cinematic of the game. It got me a smile, and I though, simple but nice care of details. The fishing is well developed, the crafting is a bit complex and a garbage going into many directions, but it is vivid and not the cold math system I have seen in countless modern RPG from The Witcher 2&3 to DA series and Diablo or Torchlight series. Even Grim Dawn that surpass most in that aspect, deosn't achieve to make the system as vivid than it is in BCN. In short BCN is without pretension and quite rough on many edges, but it has a RPG soul.

At a place I found a device, it allows capture old memories, I activate it and then could see cinematic of the game. It got me a smile, and I though, simple but nice care of details.
That's fairly common in JRPGs. Final Fantasy 10 had one, for instance, as did Tales of Berseria.

That's fairly common in JRPGs. Final Fantasy 10 had one, for instance, as did Tales of Berseria.
Sure my comment wasn't about originality, but about many details. I'll take another example, in DOS1 treasures mechanism is rather basic, in this game they use a nice trick to provide a description of the place so you have to figure where it is. Nothing complex but it's well done, and it's care of details. Another example, all the lore is always provided through stories, it's a lot more interesting, it's a detail they put care on.

In fact about non originality, I enjoyed how often the game revive old memories though some details.

My opinion, not build on an in depth analysis, but a feeling, is that it would be better for the game that there's another update related to difficulty.

I have a blast to play the game, and have only last area to play, but it required a lot of cooperation from myself to not have the game disband in a too low difficulty. It's not a detail because too easy can definitely break most of the charm of the game.

The patch didnt change that much. Increased XP towards the end game so less repeat of the dungeons. The good thing is that interior of dungeons do change so its not that terrible to repeat a few times.

I don't know if the patch applied fully for a game already started, but with zero grinding, the level difference between expected and achieved is smaller and smaller for last dungeons. The spike was 3/4 levels, and still quite playable, when at start of last dungeon it's just 1/2 level, and for now very playable, from what I read it's possible I'll have troubles with last boss and will have to do a bit of farming or grinding.

In my opinion it's a wrong reflex to grind to reach the level of first enemies of the next dungeon. It's pointless grinding.

Back
Top Bottom