RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2019

No GotY 2019 for me since I didn't play any that came out in 2019.

Games I'm looking forward to in 2020, there's only two, so that was also very easy:
1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2

That's it :)

I did:
1. TOW
2. GF
3. None

1. None
2. None
3. None

It's weird that it's almost common for some of us old-timers to not be jazzed about a new gaming year.

The poll will be live for a few days more, you could at least try some game that looks promising to you.
When I haven't felt that a game was worth checking out til now I won't change that for a GOTY poll.

It's weird that it's almost common for some of us old-timers to not be jazzed about a new gaming year.
O_O
You planning to die or something? I mean, I'm in fact interested in more than 3.

Because am still unsure which ones to vote for and if I started talking about each why and why not it'd take me days, thus why my stalling...

Yeah, this is more like a what 1 game did you play this year than GOTY vote.

I’m not really in favor of having people try a game quick and then voting for GOTY. A game should earn GOTY not just get a vote because it’s the only game you’ve played or just tried.

I put 6-8 hours or so in to greedfall but I wouldn’t feel right voting for it.

As for most anticipated I feel that should just be a write in vote rather than limit it to a list of games.

Speaking as a player over the age of twenty-one, I think the current year has plenty of great games in store for us. Or at least gaming opportunities, as you really don't know how a game will actually play until you put it through its paces.

I'm just sad that I can vote on Phoenix Point but not on Sekiro or Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, when the latter games, while not being true RPGs, have a hundred magnitudes more of a RPG than the overhyped X-Com ripoff/clone.

GOTY
Outward (underrated af!!!)
Disco Elysium
The Outer Worlds (also underrated!)

Most Anticipated
Copper Dreams (oooh, gooey RPGness, can't wait!!)
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 (probably my most anticipated but had to give the indies some love!)
Knights of the Chalice 2 (super gooey RPG goodness!!)

Thanks for holding the contest, it was fun to participate in and will be fun to see th results! :party:

I'm just sad that I can vote on Phoenix Point but not on Sekiro or Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, when the latter games, while not being true RPGs, have a hundred magnitudes more of a RPG than the overhyped X-Com ripoff/clone.

There was already a thread where you could raise such points. Making an issue about it now is akin to the old phrase "locking the barn door after the horse has already bolted".

There was already a thread where you could raise such points. Making an issue about it now is akin to the old phrase "locking the barn door after the horse has already bolted".

Risen they were, by several people, not just one. No action was taken, so it deserves mention so it at least gets noticed. If someone gets red faced out of it, maybe we get a better poll next year, though the amount of "None" votes in general is telling on its own.

Perhaps we should just call it our GOTY awards and actually allow other genres to be included? That would work for me anyway. Chances are most points would go to RPG's anyway, considering the crowd on this site and the games that are generally covered.

I for one appreciate the fact that the news posters include strategy games with RPG elements in the feed since it's my other favourite genre (games like Phoenix Point and Age of Wonders.)

I think the method Myrthos used to shortlist the nominees was perfectly appropriate.

Last edited:
I kind of thought that was the entire reason for the thread, that if your choices weren't available you could simply type yours out and include them in your response. That way we can eliminate all the pouts.

Risen they were, by several people, not just one. No action was taken, so it deserves mention so it at least gets noticed. If someone gets red faced out of it, maybe we get a better poll next year, though the amount of "None" votes in general is telling on its own.
The problem is not the bad poll but the bad year of RPGs.
Actually I don't see the problem. A lot of watchers voting vor none doesn't mean we won't get the 3 top spots.

none
none
none
----------
Cyberpunk
Realms
Wasteland

My most promising for 2020 are the same three that won most promising last year. I guess 2019 really was the "lost year" :(

Wow, the first time I've ever voted "None" on something I think.

• The Outer Worlds
  • Greedfall
  • None
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • None
  • None
I wasn't even aware that 2020 was as dry as it is, until I saw the list. I'm still hoping we might see ELEX 2 or something towards the end of the year.

If you played Greedfall to the end, I feel confident you have more to look forward to in 2020 than just Cyberpunk!

1. Greedfall
2. none
3. none

1. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2
2. King's Bounty II
3. Cyberpunk 2077

The lack of Elex 2 was really disturbing. Would make to the top in an instant.

It has also been discussed, including reasons why the games suggested by you should not be added. So I did act on your suggestions, but not to your liking. That is different from what you are suggesting in your post.

The lack of Elex 2 was really disturbing. Would make to the top in an instant.
As nobody has been able to show some mention of a release date of ELEX 2, it has indeed not been added. I don't think it has even been formally announced either.

Not having a release date with some level of reliability also influenced why BG 3 and many other games are not on the list.

Back
Top Bottom