Planescape Torment's brother is no more, it's dead

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Sorry for the clickbait title.

The game was released in 1999.
Imagine, after so many years, you can forget ever enjoying it, you can't even share chatty about it with those who'll just try it for the first time because now they can't.
Imagine someone told you that you can't watch Modern Times any more, a century old masterpiece movie that's better than everything Hollywood made in the past decade.

It's not PST, it's Asheron's Call that appeared in the same year so this isn't Corwin:
http://kotaku.com/74-year-old-grandpa-says-goodbye-to-mmo-hes-played-sinc-1791074761

Stop buying DLC? Stop buying season passes? Stop preordering games? Stop paying to win phonegames? Stop buying Candy Crush lollipops? No, don't stop doing those things.
Stop playing MMOs.

P.S. I'm still playing League of Legends periodically, I know I shouldn't, but I'm a smoking addict and it's too late for me. It's not too late for you. Uninstall the damned WoW killer wannabe.

Now there's a role Tom Hanks can play in a future movie, the highs and lows and eventual morbidity of an MMO addict that has to face the reality of the ephemeral world he inhabits evaporating into the ether, epilogued by a happy ending of finding a new community to join after the support of the greater populace! The script almost writes itself.

big-joint.jpg

<--- doesn't like to be told what to do or like or bemourn (and what not).

<--- doesn't play nice. :p

"Everything out there looks like crap compared to this game." Hmmm, who does that remind me of?

Asheron's Call was great stuff back in the day… I remember making pizza (oregano let you make an even better pizza) for healing, making "mule" characters and letting them hold things when I had too much stuff, Hopeslayer appearing in the sky when lightning flashed, gromnies that would kill you but not drop their agro so they would come running after you when you re-spawned to kill you again and again, a level 666 white rabbit (Beal'z'bunny!), trying to get a cow to climb a tower… fun times!

Though back in the day was a LONG ways back. I'm really surprised the game lasted this long.

P.S. I probably shouldn't ask why there's toilet paper there. I mean, come on, that's what socks are for!

Damn. I can't believe the game is done. This was my first MMORPG and at the time it was simply crack cocaine in computer form. One of the most mindblowing experiences I had in gaming. I have fond memories of recovering corpses, seeing glowing/crazy decked out looking characters running around and exploring the huge world. But my fondest memory has to be borrowing the game from a friend and charging the credit card on file (his mom's) for another month's subscription. Good times (sorry Mike's mom!). :)

I also played the game a bit a year or two back and was having a blast all over again. I got farther than I ever did as a kid, made a few online buddies and explored areas I had never seen. The connection stayed green for longer than 30 minutes, which was a rare feat back in the day when playing on a 18.8k or 56k modem. They streamlined a lot of stuff and made it easier to quest for beginners and find content. Great game, man. Sucks they are going away because there really isn't anything else like this one out there that I know of. Project Gorgon is interesting, but this game will always be a very special one to me.

So long, Asheron's Call! Until we meet again in the internet cafe in the sky.

Thats a heart warming video. Videos like this really make people understand the importance of online worlds and how important they can be to people of all ages. :)

Back
Top Bottom