Rampant Games - Five Things I Love About Modern Mainstream RPGs

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jay Barnson posts Five Things I Unequivocally Love About Modern Mainstream RPGs:
#3 – Emphasis on Story and Characters. Sure, don’t sacrifice my game mechanics and interesting choices on the alter of storyline – I’m still here to play a game, not watch a movie – but story and characters are still what turns a good game into a great and memorable experience. That’s really a focus in most modern RPGs, and I’m pretty happy about that. Really, in many older games, as much as I loved the story, like the graphics it was usually the story in my head that I created as I played that I loved, not so much what was there in the game. I think modern games could do a better job outsourcing some of those critical story elements to the player’s imagination – as the old games had to do – but what’s “on the page” has far more depth to it than almost anything created before the era of Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout. I should probably include jRPGs in that list, too, but you know what they are. Bravo, designers. While missteps have taken place and some games may have been made worse by truly crappy stories, this seems to me to be the right direction.
More information.

Thank you Jay! This is the best online article about RPGs that I have read in quite some time.

Full ACK on all your thoughts. As much as I love retro gaming, I hate the thought of playing 1985 style ever again.

I still retro-game and love many of the older games. Played through Ultima III to completion again just a couple of months ago. But playing them again today does help tear away the rose-tinted glasses a bit. If only we could get some more old-school sensibilities combined with some of these more modern features... But that would take some game developers working totally independent of publishers 'n stuff... ;)

I still retro-game and love many of the older games. Played through Ultima III to completion again just a couple of months ago. But playing them again today does help tear away the rose-tinted glasses a bit. If only we could get some more old-school sensibilities combined with some of these more modern features… But that would take some game developers working totally independent of publishers 'n stuff… ;)

Mmmmh. This reminds me of some startup on the internetz I read about somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom