Last game you finished, tell us about it

Finally finished the Witcher! Took me 74 hours according to GOG Galaxy over the course of 7 months or so.
I loved the story, setting and general atmosphere, though I was kinda glad to get to the end. All the backtracking, the incredibly painful inventory management and the constantly respawning monsters were becoming too annoying.

Finished No Truce with the Furies after cca 30 hours.

Elsewhere wrote based on early game it's horror/thriller, but it's not. Apart from horror elements, the story has elements of every possible genre (scifi, fantasy, tragedy, comedy, romance, melodrama, etc), but once it evolves past initial setups it's an obvious noir thriller.
Won't go into story details, the less you know about anything, the better.

Also said before, the game is p'n'c adventure/rpg/vn hybrid. Means what?

You'll be moving around the Unity based clunky world and clicky clicky on stuff for different reasons which makes the game nearimpossible on mushrooms (god save the isometric point'n'click!). Often stuff require passing a skillcheck and that's where we get rpg, you gain new levels and improve skills, but also have traits with skills bonus (called "thoughts") and equipment that buff/debuff certain skills. The game will not lock your progress upon failing a skillcheck, in fact many failed skillcheck have nice, or should I say, secret outcomes (example: fail glasses store browsing and you'll be offered glasses you'd otherwise miss).

While this looks great on paper I have to say that traits aka thoughts are basically irrelevant, the only one worth taking is metal armor (that boosts combat agaiinst armored opponents) while the reason to pick any other is if required for a quest. But okay, it's easy for me to say this, a newcomer to rpgs will most probably have fun with exploring this stuff.

The VN part means tons and tons of dialogues with choices (and consequences). Tons. Told crpgnut that this game contains more text than all of posts made by dartagnan combined. You don't have to believe me, but it's really so.

The game has unpredictable twists even if you're a thriller junkie. If someone tells you they knew what's gonna happen at every moment, tell them they lie, they suck and you don't want to have anything with an obvious bs-er. Me? No, not me, but okay, deal. ;)
Puzzles, sadly, are too easy. All. Even some you expect to be a challenge end with a letdown where all you needed to solve them is to play the game a bit more. :(

This game is an unique hybrid and that's why critics are extatic about it.
As a blueprint for next evolution of VNs, the game deserves every praise. Enough please of VN clones where each and every single one plays the same way, the only difference is amount of pr0n stills. There was a time I loved VNs, but I grew annoyed with the stale design that offered absolutely nothing new. And now a game appears that feels exactly what I wanted, although, not being perfect (no minigames for example).

I'm saying do not go for this game just because critics were amazed. Or because I am.
The game won't escape anywhere and you still didn't complete Greedfall plus Outer Worlds is getting released in a week.
Wait for a rainy day or a sale.

As everyone knows my 7/10 means above average and I'm putting it here. It's not an earthshaking product as you might think based by others' input, definetly not a masterpiece as suggested by many sites that showered it with almost 10/10 scores.
Came close to 8, but there is one thing I won't forgive. Timers with day/night cycle and weekdays tracked in the mix. Perhaps the best time passing system I've ever seen so far in any game, yet I still hate it.

Deliberate out of tags spoiler:
Upon opening a night club you'll be asked how to name it. You may choose to name it: Disco Elysium. I don't like it thus named the club: No Truce with the Furies.

Last edited:
Thx, bumped this from "Follow" to "Wishlist".

Well I think I am finished with Enderal. I got my avatar just about fully built up. I explored all the lands except the last land that locks you into the end game. And I even explored that land (in mid game) with some trick maneuvers that got me into the land temporarily. (I played and then used a prior save to get back on track).

Overall, it is clearly one of my Fav RPGs of all time and it just boggles my mind that the game is basically a mod!!!!!!! I happily feel totally obligated to drop the developers a few bucks. After all I put in almost 450 hours and I didn't even enter the end game progression.

Spectacular job SureAI.

The reason I need to quit is I have a few small games I want to play and then work on getting my new rig up and running by the time Cybertpunk come out.

Last edited:
I recently finished Bound by Flame, an RPG by Spiders.
I think it's a nice game, although a step back from Mars: War Logs which predates it by one year. If you can get around the combat: combines HP-spongy enemies with a very rippy player character… ;)

The writing is sometimes a bit odd, which hints at missing introductions of NPC and PC backgrounds (potentially cut off in a rush?), but they still manage to get a good atmosphere across.

Good to see they started to get much better at designing combat with Technomancer.
I'm still waiting a bit before I have a go at Greedfall, but from what I read, it has many of the elements I like in Technomancer. Apart from the setting.

Last edited:
Just finished The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (2016) by Tin Man Games (not to be confused with many other computer games with the same title).

A choose your own adventure game, or CYOA game, that sees you traverse a wizard's tower as an adventurer on the dual quest of your personal mission combined with your desire to unseat the wizard. Options and RNG galore, with so many different paths and options it's quite intimidating at first glance, eventually turns into a test of memory as you gradually discover the quickest and easiest way to navigate all the pitfalls.

There are 15 (you gradually unlock 11 of them by earning them) different adventurers to choose from, each with their own quirks and abilities, the funniest of which is, of course, the character trait Illiterate. Each one has their own quest to solve in the dungeon, which greatly benefits replaying the game as you usually get an option to get and end-game screen after completing the quest without having to bother going all the way up the whole tower yet again.

The achievements are quite carefully worked out so that by the time you've only got a few left then that's at about the point you've fully explored everything there is to see and 95% of the games myriad of options. After solving all 15 character's individual quests and also beating the head wizard 4 or 5 times I only had four achievements left to find (I wasn't even actively achievement hunting, I was just playing the game), and I then used the four remaining achievements as my last quest to finish up the game with.

All in all Steam says I've played for 33 hours in total and this probably amounts to about 30 runs through the game. Your games do speed up considerably once you've got more used to the game, but even after 20 runs you still wont know every nook and cranny, which is genius really.

It's riddled with combat but at the same time it's quite easy to navigate most of the game with barely any combat when you do want to bee-line a specific destination. The combat is very entertaining and quite deep considering the extremely basic mechanics it uses. Again, the more experienced you get at it the easier it becomes, to the point where, after about 20 hours play, you should be finding yourself never losing any fight in the game unless you roll snake eyes every time you even need to roll. It's comparable to real-time dancing blobber combat like Legends of Grimrock but it's isometric and turn-based.

There's some really funny moments but also moments which can be quite serious and it straddles this line to a very neat perfection. The whole atmosphere and ambiance is really well done and the game feels thoroughly foreboding and menacing until you're fully mapped out. It's also quite childish but also requires some real intellect to enjoy, it's not a game you can leave your brain behind to play. Sort of like a cryptic crossword puzzle but the answers are juvenile rude words and the questions are written in comic sans.

All the complaints I have about the game are the generic complaints you can field at every CYOA game, most importantly that, at the end of the day, I'd rather be playing a 30 hour normal RPG where each new scene is different than keep replaying the same game from the start 30 times (I got this game from an RPGwatch key giveaway thread). Which is quite a big issue for me. Still, I'll be lenient here because the game is so maze-like that within those 30 replays quite a lot of the runs managed to be completely different. Hated the maze section though and the starting Orc section is mostly boring padding, but the middle two sections are phenomenally diverse. 7.5/10

Last edited:
Yesterday I finished Queen's Wish, Spiderweb's newest offering. I had really high expectations during the kick starter period, but those were tempered by the development going in directions that didn't satisfy me. I am a huge fan of the company though, so I held out hope that this game would be fully worth playing, that in the end they knew what they were doing and the result would shine.

It's good. It is really good. The story is deep and involved, and you can really dive in deep if you wish, or simply handle the quests as they come your way. Those opposing factions will keep you guessing the entire way, because nothing is as it truly appears. You can make your own characters and update them as you slowly conquer the playing field, or you can stick with the crew you initially assemble. The sheer amount of options should satisfy just about any particular way you might want to play. I really only had two issues the entire time I played, those being that found treasure seemed pretty limited/weak, and in combat I never care for opponents that simply appear out of nowhere, which happens frequently in this game. You really just have to accept that. If you like past Spiderweb games, I think this one would fully engage any fan.

Finished KOTOR, went full on the dark side and it was very entertaining, most of the answers and evil doings of the MC were very enjoyable.

I can play an evil character, but just as you said, it's always badly implemented characterwise or storywise. It's just not fun generally. Apart from rare scenes I mean that can be, umm, satisfying?

I have yet to see a game where I'll end up jailed for avoiding taxes because all my misdeeds were profitable, noone could catch me for doing anything else and I could boast about all of it. ;)

Note that some party based games have boring good sidekicks and awsome evil sidekicks (BG2). But those are sidekicks, it's your MC who is running the show.

Eschalon Book II (2010) including the expansion The Secret of Fathamurk by Basilisk Games. Default difficulty setting. 65.5 hours completionist.

I tried the first game about six months ago because it's now free, so why not. I liked it ok enough and found it to be a very good rubbish game. You essentially just wander about killing monsters and looting stuff on your way to solving the plot crisis. A sort of bare bones genericness that has enough of its own charms to adequately stumble over the line of dumb nonsense and become something interestingly unique that is worth the experimentation. I felt it was worth money and so I had no hesitation in buying Book II.

My first attempt at book II, about five or six hours, I absolutely hated. The redundant food mechanic from the first game has actually been implemented this time, so there's now an active food and drink meter. I quickly ran out of food and then discovered that there was no organic supply of food in the game, it can only come from three natural sources, that of dead monsters (that don't respawn unless you spam rest, but then you're using food to rest), loot containers (empty forever once used) and from purchasing from innkeepers (who only restock once every seven in-game days). So at the start of the game, with only one innkeeper available and all food sources quickly used up it felt like a no-win scenario.

I did not give up though, because other than that I was really enjoying the game. In every respect Book II is a big improvement over the first game. So I cancelled that run through and looked up any other means to acquire food and it turned out there was a spell to create food. So I simply started my next character with a point in the skill tree which would allow me to cast this spell and quickly bought the spell at the first opportunity.

From then on the game was great. Lots of quests to solve, lots of territory to explore, lots of hostiles to vanquish, lots of loot to ponder, no end of skills to aim for and plenty of secret areas to baffle your brain. The entire expansion The Secret of Fathamurk is itself a secret location that needs to be found off the beaten path and is a whole lot more intense than the rest of the game combined. Because the game isn't level-scaled you just have to be careful not to go into this area before you're feeling at least a little bit invincible as it's a lock-in scenario. To the game's credit, it does give you ample warnings and "are you sure" boxes to click OK to so you'd have to be very deserving of your fate if you went in there too early.

The only secret area I think I didn't complete was the Bronze puzzle portal. Looking at a walkthrough upon completion it's kind of what I expected the solution to be but the reason I never solved it was because my build never would have been able to solve it. Which is a bit of a shame as this puzzle leads to the Bells solution and although I really enjoyed lugging around four colourful bells that each made a different dong sound I was slightly gutted that this was also the one puzzle I could never have achieved without foreknowledge of how to complete it (due to my build). I'm sure most people will have a build that will solve it quite easily.

The game has no real bugs that I noticed, the only minor one being that sometimes my character would suddenly start walking about at one-half speed. Only once in the 65.5 hours that I played did I get so exasperated with this that I exited back to main menu and rebooted the game (which seemed to help) although before that, at the peak of frustration, I had been switching between low and high graphics in the options to try and shake it out, which also kinda worked for a bit.

The main flaw with the series as a whole is definitely that it's a single character game, but a turn-based single character game, so it's kind of like playing Diablo really really slowly. Sort-of like imagining a turn-based Baldur's Gate 1 that doesn't have any companions. This is acceptably counter-balanced however by the unique personality of the game which is rich in character creation and development and nicely steeped in it's own lore to be a fully realised own universe with it's own monsters and landscapes.

I found tremendous enjoyment in slowly progressing through the game to the point where I'm nearly tempted to jump straight back in with another character. A great addition here over the first game is there are now 'challenges' that experienced players can build towards, such as a pacifist run or a sneaky run or a spell-free run and, all in all, there's about 13 different challenges that one can attempt to take on to add spice and direction to any replay. It's quite an achievement of design that the game can be completed with such a vast difference in combat between the Pacific run (kill less than 20) and a Hellbringer run (kill over 700).

It would be nice if the game had some means to walk quicker generally though as the biggest detriment to replaying it is the inherently slow walking speed (let alone the additional slow downs to even this) considering it's a completely open world where one may explore anywhere at any time. This overlooked minor masterpiece deserves a lot more love from the general rabble 8/10

I was playing Book II also, till I bought Outer Worlds. I agree it's a pretty decent game, slightly marred by a bad food mechanism and too many maps that just contain walking and maybe one or two fights and a chest. Streamlining may not be a bad idea if BW ever makes another game. I vaguely remember he was going to try non-rpg and it failed or didn't ever get completed.

The bells and bronze quests are lame because it kills the mage play through and a few others. Stupid design, period.

Welp, finished Outer Worlds on Hard difficulty. Overall a wonderful gem of a game; what truly stuck out in my mind was the brilliantly interwoven quests and dialogue. Looking forward to any expansion/dlc and seeing where Tim & Leonard take us next.

Pros:
- Dialogue, dialogue, dialogue, so good.
- Great humor that doesn't hit you over the head.
- Companions you care about (well, mostly).
- Genius quest design: multiple ways to approach things w/ relevant NPC reactions.
- The economy of the game, thanks to crafting, does not get bloated.
- Might as well mention this here: a LOT of varied art assets - Leonard went nuts. Stepping into Byzantine was like stepping into a different game.

Cons:
- Over-reliance on guns, armor, and drugs as the only loot in the game. Would have liked to see more world-building in this area; sometimes felt like Borderlands because of it. The groundwork has been lain, so perhaps in a sequel/expansion...
- Poor combat AI; I'd often find myself slowing time and just picking off enemies as they ran towards me, one by one. Along these lines, keeping companions alive could sometimes be downright frustrating.

8.5/10

I finished Might and Magic four a couple of days ago, it was awesome upon release and remains the same till this very day. I always judge if I'm ready for the dark side by how well my squad performs in the dragon dungeon, so when I had no issues in there I went for the kill, took out Xeen and scooted over to the dark side right afterwards. I quickly knocked out the first town and tower, now I'm romping around the wilderness, hitting the occasional mine and building some resources for advanced weaponry.

Welp, finished Outer Worlds on Hard difficulty. Overall a wonderful gem of a game; what truly stuck out in my mind was the brilliantly interwoven quests and dialogue. Looking forward to any expansion/dlc and seeing where Tim & Leonard take us next.
Finished the game last night, and pretty much agree with your assessment. Loved it, despite some serious balance issues.
I went the goody-two-shoes route, and I'm looking forward to trying the other paths (i.e. being an arsehole) to success in a future play.

Some serious c&c in this game, folks!

Steamworld dig 2, and unavowed. Two games that serve as appetizers for my next gaming round. Steamworld dig 2 was ok, but unavowed was excellent.

It drew me in with its premise, but I stayed for the characters and story. I like the discussions (bantering) between companions (good voice acting). There are even hard choices involved, though I'm not sure how much impact they had in the end. A minor point is the relatively easy difficulty level, but rather that way than having to pixel hunt or randomly trying all combinations in the inventory. In that regard, I liked the limited interactions and people to talk to on each screen, makes adventure games much more digestable and to the point for me.

Now I'm in the mood for something more heavy (I got xbox game pass pc). Really had my mind set on Kingdom come deliverance. Turns out it requires 65 gb of free space and I only have 40 gb. It seems like yesterday I bought the 256 gb SSD for 100 euro. Now you get 1 tb for that.

In sum, installing the outer worlds for now. It has not really sparked my interest yet (based on screenshots, reviews, and video) but I should give it a fair try. After all, I had a fantastic experience with new vegas.

Finished the game last night, and pretty much agree
with your assessment. Loved it, despite some serious balance issues.
I went the goody-two-shoes route, and I'm looking forward to trying the other paths (i.e. being an arsehole) to success in a future play.

Some serious c&c in this game, folks!
How is the story of the outer worlds? Haven't read much about that on the internet.

The story starts by you being awaken from hybernation, tasked to help others from your ship who're still "asleep".
If you want to. You can choose to screw them all. :)

But anyway, you're dropped in a system with a few "terraforming in process" worlds and it's all breaking apart of course as there are no natural resources nor aliens to plunder yet classic politicians of several types pushing their ideologies and agendas are alive and kicking. You'll decide who do you care about and if, then based on your choices the system will blossom in the end or will crumble wishing you've never existed. ;)

Of course that's not all. You're not playing a predefined character (Witcher, Greedfall, Risen), but it's your choice who your character is. A goody two shoes, a psychopath or maybe a scammer, etc etc again, your choice.
Just don't choose to be a reviewer please (fastrunner).

Only one thing you can't choose. Music style preference. I guess they left that for the sequel. ;)
Yea and you can't get married. You will say at one moment, if you choose to, that there's nothing wrong with your bits. But damn. Right?

Of course that's not all. You're not playing a predefined character (Witcher, Greedfall, Risen), but it's your choice who your character is. A goody two shoes, a psychopath or maybe a scammer, etc etc again, your choice.
Just don't choose to be a reviewer please (fastrunner).
Only one thing you can't choose. Music style preference. I guess they left that for the sequel. ;)
Yea and you can't get married. You will say at one moment, if you choose to, that there's nothing wrong with your bits. But damn. Right?
Wait, are you recommending this game or not? :)

If you want to. You can choose to screw them all. :)
Ah, indeed you are. Should compensate for all the flaws.

(except, seems it runs very choppy on my r9 280, even at low and medium settings at 1080p).

Read my lips: goty.

Of course some will vote the ridiculous mediocrity lure into whatnot mmo:
http://awkwardzombie.com/awkward-zombie/mail-cod
1572228554-comic638.png

No, that's not all!
https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Jeremy_Gill
Jeremy's appearance in 1899 is the same as it is in 1907. This makes him one of several characters to not visibly age in between the main campaign and the epilogue.
We sure no vampires in that mainstream?

Back
Top Bottom