Quantcast
NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon - Page 6 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

Default NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

November 21st, 2017, 12:51
This so called EE seems very very underwhelming… I don't understand why people are having orgasms about this announcement. What am I missing?

NWN runs fines on modern PCs. Its not like the BG titles where you had to mess around getting things to work. As far as i can see, they have not done much at all…

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 12:52
NWN works just fine in 4k for me as is but more and better scaling options sure would be welcome.
Backwards compatible alone makes it a likely buy, though if it will be at full price or from a 90% sale is the real question.

six

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

November 21st, 2017, 13:10
I wouldn't mind seeing improved imbedded support for multi-player and persistent worlds added to NWN.

HellRazor

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 15:26
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
The big question is whether player modules will work with the EE. If they don't, this rehash is dead on arrival.
Backwards compatibility is mentioned straight in the opening post.

Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
I still replay NWN occasionally, and it still works just fine. I assume there's more to it than what little we've heard, because UI scaling and a slight polish on the graphics doesn't seem like something that would occupy them since the PST: EE. Either that, or they're also doing something else at the same time (it's a decent sized company now, after all).
About 25 employees. A few of them have been working on a IE EE patch 2.5 for all versions after PS:T EE was released and some of them are working on a new game from scratch since last year (with Gaider and Brent Knowles).
--
Mission Impossible: clean that overgrown backlog. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 15:27
I'm kinda excited. Will they fix the camera angle? If so I will buy it most likely. I enjoyed what they did with Icewind Dale EE.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 15:33
Community Endorsed: Original developers have teamed with key members of the Neverwinter Nights community to curate important fan-requested improvements to support players, storytellers, and modders.
This strikes me as one of the key points. If it really does bring things to the table for the modding community, and fix some longstanding issues, it might be worthwhile.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

November 21st, 2017, 15:55
Some more info and screenshots straight from the press release.

Looks like it will includes the premium modules not in the Diamond edition (like Wyvern Crown of Cormyr). While you can use them right now using loopholes (i.e. fake the authentication), these are not available anywhere legally. That's 3 new modules with 10+ hours of content each that used to cost money added to the game.
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 21st, 2017, 15:59
Hmmm, this might be my first EE. I loved NWN.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

November 21st, 2017, 16:41
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Arcanum would be a good one to fix.
If anyone should get the rights to an enhanced arcanum, it's Obsidian w/ Tim Cain & Leonard - not these exploitative hacks.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

November 21st, 2017, 17:05
While I am very excited to see this enhanced edition, I definitely agree with those saying that for the money this should include, at the very least, updated textures with bump mapping and other modern eye candy. Improved models should also be on that list.

But what I really want to see from Beamdog is new premium content, either as free modules or as full-fledged, paid DLC campaigns. In fact, I can't imagine why they wouldn't have this planned.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Clocknova

Watcher

November 21st, 2017, 17:34
If they're really planning new content, then I hope it's for NWN2.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Elex

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

November 21st, 2017, 17:36
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
If they're really planning new content, then I hope it's for NWN2.
I agree. The original NWN2 campaign was a bit cumbersome, as were the modding tools, but the actual implementation of the rules was excellent.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

November 21st, 2017, 18:15
Oh FFS. Having this EE NwN can only be a good thing.

It will reintroduce the game to new players, including people who can't or don't want to run an AAA RPG on their machines. Plus, it's (maybe) get ported to iPad, etc. So: MORE D&D GAMES in front of people's eyeballs!

Getting more, younger people interested in these kinds of games is a positive no matter how you look at it. And assuming a casual user will find GOG and download the original, then find the various scaling/graphics mods, etc… For what? A 15 year old game? Only people like us who played the original would EVER do that.

Yeah, some people will make money! So what? It's a new product, for new systems for a new consumer base. Plus you always have the option of not buying it.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

November 21st, 2017, 18:52
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
It will reintroduce the game to new players, including people who can't or don't want to run an AAA RPG on their machines. Plus, it's (maybe) get ported to iPad, etc. So: MORE D&D GAMES in front of people's eyeballs!
Yup. Steam + Linux/Mac support should add new players. While the original game worked on Linux/Mac, the Diamond version on GOG do not.

Also, if anyone has requests for NWN:EE, it was suggested to post them on the official forums because "we have the code and we have the time". There is already a growing thread on the general section.
--

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

November 21st, 2017, 19:04
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
On the other hand, people like me don't see the "enhanced" features bringing anything worthwhile to the table, hence cannot justify any extra cost to the original price.
I know, you and countless other people own it already. So what's the complaint?

We see this every Beamdog release in these forums: "How dare they release something improved and costs a little more (even though it's still cheaper than what I payed for the original especially due to inflation) that I will never buy because I own it already!"

--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 19:11
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post

We see this every Beamdog release in these forums: "How dare they release something improved and costs a little more (even though it's still cheaper than what I payed for the original especially due to inflation) that I will never buy because I own it already!"

If this happens every time - then I'm sure we've already had this debate several times.

You didn't understand that point of view then, so why would you understand now?

But I'll make you guys a deal.

You stop praising Beamdog for these wonders of the world editions - and I'll stop mentioning that they're cash grabs.

Deal?

NewDArt

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 19:15
Two people with different opinions!!!
Ahhhh.. world is ending

I like Darts deal but don't think anyone will take him up on that.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 19:19
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post

I see these so-called EE on the same level micro transaction or DLC that don't really add much value. In other words they are indeed cash grabs…

Maybe some EE do add real value but this one look like a fan mod! And thats also the point, in that it sort of disrespect all the fan mods that are free and add lot more than this so called EE…

lostforever

SasqWatch

November 21st, 2017, 19:25
This is definitely the weakest EE I've seen, so far.

If they decide to add anything significant - I'm happy to change my mind.

It's especially weak when you consider how easy it would be to create enhanced textures and do some actual work improving meshes and poly-count. Lord knows NWN needs it.

But, no, that would mean they had to work for a living

NewDArt

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 21st, 2017, 19:31
IMHO there is nothing wrong with remastering a classic title to make it work in modern systems easily. Actually there are several titles which I love to see in remastered form like Wizards&Warriors, Diablo 2 or Wizardry 8. Only thing that could bother people with is the price. But they can always wait for a sale or play the old version in their hands, right?
--
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon