What games are you playing now?

I didn't get very far into River of Time yet, but what I immediately noticed, is that it has the same beautiful views as the first game. Like, whoa. I don't know if people consider this as "modern-age graphics", but it certainly is a pretty view. Which is one of the things I was hoping for; I think I made over a hundred screenshots in Drakensang - I hope this game is as much inspiring. It runs smoothly on my rig with pretty high settings. As for the music, it almost instantly set this kind of fairy tale atmosphere, so that also seems promising. The character system seems to be pretty much identical.

I have a question, though, to those who played the German version: do the one-liners and dialogues between NPCs have voiceover? I see the subtitles on the screen but I hear nothing, and I remember that this stuff was spoken in Drakensang. I'm worried it might be problem with my sound card, as it often is. Usually I tinker with some options and it helps, but TRoT doesn't have any sound options besides volume…

Elven Legacy - kinda boring and difficult, a strange mix indeed. I'll have to play it some more later after Ive brewed some coffee.

Blade Kitten - kinda fun platformer, played the x360 demo.

FIFA 11 Demo
Finally a decent football game on the PC.Very addicting.Recommended.

I installed Morrowind GOTY a few days back and have been experimenting with mods. Most of the mods have been to enhance the audio-visual experience which means enhanced pixel shaders, speedtree landscapes with animated grass, upgraded textures, expanded ecology, atmospherical sound effects etc. The end result looks visually stunning.

However, I did ran into a halt when it came to actually play the game. I thought that maybe things have changed considering I am a vastly different person today than I was in 2003 so I should give the game a new chance. But maybe it haven't changed.

It's interesting how visually great the game can be for simply strolling around, but when it comes to gameplay the game is best described as "wall of text". You have to read all the time to grasp what's going on, and since most NPC's say the same things in response to the keywords you are using, I found myself quickly resorting to "pump the walking signposts for something new" by quickly clicking through the keywords, instead of relating to them as people. I am a social person, so I really crave personalities that are more than generic infostations.

I believe one of my greatest issues however is that text and inventory icons are very small if you use higher resolution. This makes things harder to read and it's harder to see what you are carrying. I found a mod to produce custom fonts, so now I scaled the font to 24, which isn't entirely compatible with the hud (too large for the ##/## values in bars like health/stamina/mana and how much a npc likes you) but at least make the dialogue readable.

Also Morrowind is oldschool enough to not be intuitive when it comes to questions like "what skills should I take for the character I had in mind". Last time I played I used Hand-to-Hand, which was a terrible skill. The problem with HtH was that despite having 100 in it you took much much longer to kill a foe that you could easily kill with a hammer and 25 in blunt weapons.

I have a question, though, to those who played the German version: do the one-liners and dialogues between NPCs have voiceover?

I think yes. I'm not quite sure what you mean with "one-liners", but if you go through Nadoret and see people talking with one another - in the German version, if they have dialogue-lines floating above their heads, then it is usually also spoken in German language.

Which implies that this might have been to cost-intensive for the international publisher, it seems to me from your question.

I didn't get very far into River of Time yet, but what I immediately noticed, is that it has the same beautiful views as the first game. Like, whoa. I don't know if people consider this as "modern-age graphics", but it certainly is a pretty view. Which is one of the things I was hoping for; I think I made over a hundred screenshots in Drakensang - I hope this game is as much inspiring. It runs smoothly on my rig with pretty high settings. As for the music, it almost instantly set this kind of fairy tale atmosphere, so that also seems promising. The character system seems to be pretty much identical.

It had almost exactly the same experience when I played Dakensang 2. Including the screenshots. ;)

You could contribute your best to the database here, maybe ?

I, partially due to New Vegas and partially due to a topic started by another member, decided to reinstall FO3 and a handful of mods (Although nothing that added to the gameplay beyond the effects of the unofficial FO3 patch). One of my major problems with FO3 was how unstable it was, for me, above a certain driver version. I finally upgraded my drivers today just to see if anything improved...

And wow. FO3 felt smoother and it didn't blue screen on me for once. Oh, and I was playing Fallout 1 today. Did my first ever quests in it, although I'm still slightly turned off by the lack of direction, at least where I am (Shady Sands).

if you go through Nadoret and see people talking with one another - in the German version, if they have dialogue-lines floating above their heads, then it is usually also spoken in German language.

Yes, that's what I meant. It seems it's not a sound problem on my part, since others have also asked about this, and I've already seen that the German demo *has* voiceover for these lines. Maybe something is messed up in this version… or you might be right - they didn't record the English voiceover for them at all, the cheapskates! :(

Alrik Fassbauer said:
You could contribute your best to the database here, maybe ?

I just might do that sometime later, I already have a handful of them!

or you might be right - they didn't record the English voiceover for them at all, the cheapskates! :(

This is what I suppose myself. Publishers (or whover did it) seemed not to have faith enough in this game to have spoken voiceovers ;) , I guess.

Riiight… Note the fish, the birds and the grass…
Full screen

morrowindmodded.jpg

Spent the weekend with Master of Magic. Still haven't finished my first game... do people remember rushing to take out the other wizards ASAP or fully explore / build up first? I've compromised by taking out only the most irritating wizards first while also fully exploring, but it's taking a LONG time... I have about 30 towns to manage!

Spent the weekend with Master of Magic. Still haven't finished my first game… do people remember rushing to take out the other wizards ASAP or fully explore / build up first? I've compromised by taking out only the most irritating wizards first while also fully exploring, but it's taking a LONG time… I have about 30 towns to manage!
Kinda in between for me. I'd generally take them out as I grew. Certainly not a Zerg rush for conquest, but I'd have swallowed some of the competition before the map was completely exposed.

Yep, they started pestering me about halfway through, assuming I finish soon. Perhaps I shouldn't have mosied my way through their territories, inadvertantly scaring them with the sight of my godly Paladins? ;)

I took over one wizard mid-game, but should have taken over the other same island irritant right away too. Probably could have gobbled all four at that time, leaving much of the world unexplored…

Thanks, DTE!

Last edited:
Played a bit of Westward today at lunch, a fun little western-themed RTS/citybuilder type thing. I can see me burning a few lunch hours on this one.

As far as Elven Legacy goes - I'm now officially getting my ass handed to me on the i think 4th or 5th mission, the one w/ the Orcish hexer. I've went back twice and taken it from the beginning of the mission, only to get totally squashed at the end. My fault both times was heading up the middle going for a bit of bravado, eventually succumbing to the combined force of the mobs in the east and west clamping down on me like a vise, and of course the awaiting end-mission baddies charging at me head-on in the middle of it all. Total Ownage

I underestimated those wee goblin units too, they really do begin to take quite a cumulative toll…..

I, partially due to New Vegas and partially due to a topic started by another member, decided to reinstall FO3 and a handful of mods (Although nothing that added to the gameplay beyond the effects of the unofficial FO3 patch). One of my major problems with FO3 was how unstable it was, for me, above a certain driver version. I finally upgraded my drivers today just to see if anything improved….

What OS are you playing it on? I'm using Windows 7 64bit, and I had an issue with random freezing for awhile. It would lock up, usually during gun fights, while the sound would continue to play. I was having to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and end the program in Task Manager.

I found a fix this weekend that includes editing a few lines in the config file. It turns out that FO3 doesn't like quad-core CPUs in some situations. I had to force it to use only 2 cores.

What OS are you playing it on? I'm using Windows 7 64bit, and I had an issue with random freezing for awhile. It would lock up, usually during gun fights, while the sound would continue to play. I was having to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and end the program in Task Manager.

I found a fix this weekend that includes editing a few lines in the config file. It turns out that FO3 doesn't like quad-core CPUs in some situations. I had to force it to use only 2 cores.
XP Home 32bit. I'm old skool :p

I just got BSODs and CTDs.

I bought Two Worlds Epic Edition at Gamersgate, even though I had the original version somewhere, but I couldn't be bothered to find it.

I was longing for an open world game after trying the Arcania demo, and I gave up trying to enjoy Nehrim - because I find that I simply hate the Oblivion engine.

To my big surprise, I'm really enjoying it. I think it has to do with already knowing what to expect - and accepting the weak parts.

So, it's definitely still flawed and somewhat clumsy - but the actual gameplay and character mechanics are oddly appealing. I don't remember exactly why I gave up the last time, but so far - I'm having fun experimenting with builds and exploring the world.

It's strange, because at the time of release - I clearly recall thinking it looked like crap compared to Oblivion. But it seems I've changed my mind. It's not that it LOOKS better, as such, but that it FEELS better. It's just a much more fluid engine without the overly stiff movement and crappy 3rd person camera/animations. I can even fight from horseback, which I'd forgotten about - and it works pretty well.

I'll probably get bored eventually, however, but until that time - I have something to enjoy until TW2/Arcania.

It also gives me great hope for the sequel - as it seems all my issues with this one, have been reworked and improved.

Last edited:
But, man, is the mouse laggy! Saving and loading takes 20 seconds, opening and closing menus takes 3-4 seconds, turning a page in the spell book take 2 seconds, etc… etc…

If anyone knows of way to run this puppy faster, please let me know! I'd be willing to sacrifice sound if it helps…

I don't know how experienced you are with DosBox, so sorry if I'm asking about the obvious… but have you tweaked the "cycles" value in the config file?

DOH! Sorry - didn't see that this post was already a few pages back :)

I recently finished playing Mafia II, and now I'm playing a few different smaller games in the "hole" up until the release of some of the CRPG giants later this month (mainly FO:NV and TW2).

Newer games I'm playing:
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • GTA4: Episodes (Lost and the Damned atm)
  • Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual

And some retro games:
  • U7 Serpent Isle (not sure I'll continue this)
  • Realms of the Haunted

Back
Top Bottom