|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize

Default RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize

May 9th, 2018, 16:12
I've been looking over failed KS RPGs I've backed & other promising RPGs I've been following and wondering if they'll ever see the light of day. What vaporware RPGs do you really hope will see a release some day? Here's some of mine:

Seven Dragon Saga
- CRPG from SSI veterans, but hasn't had an update in about two years (which barely talked about SDS).

Deathfire or really any CRPG with Guido Henkel as lead developer. He seems to have some great ideas about how to make any interesting RPG, but unfortunately just isn't well known enough to have a big crowdfunding success. Seems like he might be a designer for Realms Beyond or else "Dragon" is just a really big fan of his.

Zaharia- never officially cancelled but the KS funding failed. Since releasing Icy: Enhanced Innervoid have teased that they're working on a new game, but probably not an RPG (clues suggest it has something to do with cooking?). Still hope someday they'll find the funding for Zaharia.

Americana Dawn Seemed like a cool premise, definitely something different. No signs of life since sketches posted on twitter over a year ago.

Prisonscape Apparently still in alpha. No blog posts since last Fall. Somewhat more hope for this one than others, progress has just been very slow.
--
Currently Playing: Battletech
Last edited by daveyd; May 9th, 2018 at 16:23.

daveyd

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

May 9th, 2018, 16:18
This won't match the criteria listed above, but I'm still sore about Van Buren. I keep hoping that one day it will magically be revived, somehow.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

May 9th, 2018, 16:30
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
This won't match the criteria listed above, but I'm still sore about Van Buren. I keep hoping that one day it will magically be revived, somehow.
I didn't have any timeline or other criteria in mind for this. I'll leave up to others what qualifies as vaporware. I'm still bummed about Van Burren, too. I also wonder what might have been if Troika had somehow been able to stay in business & acquire the rights to Fallout instead of Bethesda, and / or make Arcanum 2 with a better combat system… Even though it seems like there's no chance we can always at least someone comes out with a worthy spiritual successor.
--

daveyd

Keeper of the Watch

May 9th, 2018, 16:46
Definitely agree with the listed games above, and here are a few more.

Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound - Black Isle

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur…he_Black_Hound

Torn - Black Isle

loading…

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 - Trokia

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troika_Games

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic III - Obsidian/Bioware

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W…_3_(cancelled)

Aliens: Crucible RPG - Obsidian

loading…

All these game were in development at one time but were either shut down or cancelled. Some might not be considered vaporware but they can still be resurrected.
--
"Nobody can ever simply disagree for their own personal preference. If you disagree, seems your logic is shit, your tastes are shit and you're just shit. No wonder the internet is full of shit. "
Last edited by Couchpotato; May 9th, 2018 at 17:04.

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

May 9th, 2018, 17:26
Regarding Seven Dragon Saga, the most recent communication I could find from TSI was on facebook in January.

Sounds to me like they might be in negotiations with a publisher.. Either that or they're planning another crowdfunding attempt & saving updates for KS / Fig. Only possible reasons I can think of as to why they're being so quiet.
--

daveyd

Keeper of the Watch

May 9th, 2018, 17:37
Knights of the old Republic III

Ultima Online 2
(Don't care if it breaches RPG definition. Game had perfect blend of crafting, housing, exploration, PvE, PvP, class choice etc. Nothing has come close as complete package)

HalfLife3 just because I enjoyed the first two and by now its the longest running vaporware joke ever.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

May 9th, 2018, 17:38
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Regarding Seven Dragon Saga, the most recent communication I could find from TSI was on facebook in January.

Sounds to me like they might be in negotiations with a publisher.. Either that or they're planning another crowdfunding attempt & saving updates for KS / Fig. Only possible reasons I can think of as to why they're being so quiet.
Good news as I thought it must of been put on ice, or just had enough money for part time work. Hopefully they have more game footage, and details to get funded.

Anyway it's not needed if they found a possible publisher instead. Probably the best way to go at this point. So here's to hoping both option's do happen in the next year.
--
"Nobody can ever simply disagree for their own personal preference. If you disagree, seems your logic is shit, your tastes are shit and you're just shit. No wonder the internet is full of shit. "
Last edited by Couchpotato; May 9th, 2018 at 17:50.

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

May 9th, 2018, 18:08
I hope that's the reason for the silence on Seven Dragon Saga. I was thinking more dire possibilities, but I prefer a better outcome. Fishing for a publisher isn't a bad move at all, and if they find one that could be used as the launcher to revitalize the whole project.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 9th, 2018, 18:19
Yeah any time they've been asked about it in the past 2 years, all they've say is "no it's not cancelled but we have nothing to share yet". I can only assume that if it was utterly hopeless they would have officially cancelled it by now or just stopped responding. Hey, if Grimoire can be released, never say never.

Oh I thought of another one. The Dark Triad: Dragon's Death. I missed the KS & was hoping there'd be another. They managed to get Greenlit but the game is cancelled. Saw something about plans to release their editor / assets to the public but not sure if they ever did.
--
Last edited by daveyd; May 9th, 2018 at 19:37.

daveyd

Keeper of the Watch

May 10th, 2018, 10:01
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Van Buren content is going into Wasteland 3.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

May 10th, 2018, 10:31
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Van Buren content is going into Wasteland 3.
Hmm I remember inXile trademarking the name back in 2015, In one interview Fargo stated he would like to save the IP for a rainy day, and it could fit in wasteland 3.

Link - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2…uren-trademark

Of course there is one problem so we wont see the original concept.
While inXile now owns the trademark for Van Buren, the developer is unable to use any Fallout-related material in a possible game. Everything brand Fallout is owned by Bethesda, and it keeps a tight ship when it comes to copyright. Perhaps more likely is the Van Buren name is used for a new post-apocalyptic role-playing game unrelated to Fallout.
--

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

May 10th, 2018, 12:08
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
BIS/Obsidian list of canned projects…
You forgot Stormlands.

loading…

Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart shares his side of the story.
When he spoke to IGN, he said that the game’s budget and that no one at Microsoft “championed” it are the two major reasons why it was never released. “Why did Stormlands get canceled? Stormlands got canceled because we didn’t have an advocate [at Microsoft],” he explained.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

May 10th, 2018, 12:11
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
You forgot Stormlands.
Almost forgot about that RPG, and just makes me hate Microsoft once again.
--

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

May 10th, 2018, 13:06
Personally, I was so sad to see The Broken Hourglass cancelled. Had high hopes for that one, since I was fan of many modders who worked on it with Jason Compton.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, The Aielund Saga, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

May 10th, 2018, 17:14
Now you've made me even more hungry for Wasteland the third.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 10th, 2018, 19:18
Dungeons of Aledorn. I was excited about the last kickstarter I ever backed. No updates since 2016

https://www.aledorn.com/
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

May 10th, 2018, 19:46
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Dungeons of Aledorn. I was excited about the last kickstarter I ever backed. No updates since 2016

Actually, the last Kickstarter Update is from October/2017. See: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects…/posts/2004819

And before that, there were two other Updates also in the same year: April/2017 and January/2017.

I believe this game doesn't qualify as "Vaporware". Not yet.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; May 10th, 2018 at 22:05.

henriquejr

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

May 10th, 2018, 20:13
It is a shame when they take so bloody long to actually get the game out that you almost forget all about the thing. I remember being so hyped for Aledorn, now I barely recall the project.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 10th, 2018, 21:36
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Personally, I was so sad to see The Broken Hourglass cancelled. Had high hopes for that one, since I was fan of many modders who worked on it with Jason Compton.
Can't believe I forgot about that game and I was looking forward to playing it. It was sad day when the announcement came that all development was stopped.
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post

Was following the game until they mentioned the English version was not a priority. The focus was on the Foreign version, and you can read that update on this site.
--

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

May 10th, 2018, 23:29
The Orb and the Oracle
I'm not kidding.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Tags
development, kickstarter, vaporware
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize