TSI - New Studio Founded by SSI Alumni

Possible, but given neither of those were developed by SSI it is unlikely.

You could be right, as I don't know anything about the legalities - just that SSI published them.

I love the Spelljammer setting - and would love to see a proper computer adaption. Is it still a thing in the PnP world?

You could be right, as I don't know anything about the legalities - just that SSI published them.

I love the Spelljammer setting - and would love to see a proper computer adaption. Is it still a thing in the PnP world?

No. Spelljammer has been dead for a long time. Almost as soon as it started.

No. Spelljammer has been dead for a long time. Almost as soon as it started.

Well, I used it for years in my PnP days - so it was alive for a while.

Strange that it never took off, but I guess fantasy pirates in space isn't as appealing as I would have thought.

Let's not have them do a sequel to one of their worst games, please.

I'd rather have Spelljammer 2 or something.

Veil of Darkness 2, anyone?

Which SSI RPG's do you rate higher, then?

I am/ was pretty glad that after the umpteenth remash of the standard 80's AD&D RPG, they cooked up something new. No one cared for the first anymore when Ravenloft came out, and certainly not by the time Ravenloft 2 came out. I rate Thunderscape relatively highly for the skill and attribute system, even if it needed some refinement (it irks me there's no drawback to armor). I also like the exploration in this atmospheric game, though I know you abhor exploration in closed world games ;)

Jumping on the nostalgia bandwagon, I guess. But it could be good. I suspect they won't have a D&D license, so not only will they need to build a modernized game engine but also an IP. Unless they can get a license from Pathfinder, say.

The old Goldbox games are also creaky and tedious now.

I am/ was pretty glad that after the umpteenth remash of the standard 80's AD&D RPG, they cooked up something new. No one cared for the first anymore when Ravenloft came out, and certainly not by the time Ravenloft 2 came out. I rate Thunderscape relatively highly for the skill and attribute system, even if it needed some refinement (it irks me there's no drawback to armor). I also like the exploration in this atmospheric game, though I know you abhor exploration in closed world games ;)

Most of them :)

Thunderscape was a chaotic mess - and it looked like a chaotic mess. There was no exploration to speak of - as everything looked and felt like the same brown cavern to me. It did have nice music, though - and it was one of the first steampunk games - so it gets a few points for that as well.

Personally, I would prefer a modern take on Buck Rogers. I would also love a proper sequel to Sword of Aragon or Storm Across Europe.

Goes without saying that Pool of Radiance in any kind of modern iteration could work as well :)

Jumping on the nostalgia bandwagon, I guess. But it could be good. I suspect they won't have a D&D license, so not only will they need to build a modernized game engine but also an IP. Unless they can get a license from Pathfinder, say.

The old Goldbox games are also creaky and tedious now.

Two things: Firstly, it need not be nostalgia based interest. The goldbox games especially stand alone as fantastic role-playing games in their own right, regardless of when they were made. I'm sure some new players are even discovering them for the first time after enjoying their time with the enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate for example. Other players simply exploring the history of the genre may even be coming to play them. Thus again, it need not be nostalgia which drives interest: How about the simple fact that they're plain ol' good games! :)

Secondly and I believe I've corrected you before on this - they may be creaky and tedious to you, but many other players can still happily come at these games and play them for what they are; it becomes a question of mentality as to how you approach them. In short, don't let modern games spoil you too much!

I agree with DArt on seeing a new Buck Rogers game: I loved Countdown to Doomsday (beat it on C64 and PC) but never quite completed Matrix Cubed as some of the later fights with the many grenade throwing robots were quite brutal and lengthy.
A third game would be very welcome indeed. Moreover, a modern party based, turn based sci/fi RPG? Yes please! :)

I guess we'll wait until more news is released to fully comprehend the nature of TSI's focus. I don't particularly want to see a rehash or remake of old games: I'd most certainly much prefer new campaigns; as surely there is ample material to do so.

We will get our first tease in just under 4 days from now so hopefully that will make things clearer on which direction they are taking.

If you saw my posts on their facebook you would see that Dave is responsible for some incredible encounter designs, like the derelict maelstrom rider encounter in Countdown to doomsday and the finale of secret of the silver blades against the dreadlord. His design were well ahead of their time and he does have good tastes in games (of course that is my opinion).

Dark sun would probably be the best example. But then again Ravenloft 2 is one of my favourite dungeon crawlers of all time ;) But as I posted before, most of these games being mentioned are not even true SSI games (which these guys worked on) including both Ravenloft games and veil of darkness which are Dreamforge games. Having said that, I am sure they will certainly be an inspiration just as much as the special projects games.

Hmm, I like the ravenloft campaign world, but haven't played any of the classic ravenlofts (just a NWN conversion or 20). Which would oyu recommend? Sorry, for OT.

Going back to my original comment on the C64, I am sadly all too aware that every single one of the 4 different gold box series of games did not see the finale on the C64. They were each missing the last game. I won't hold that against them, though… :)

However, I really hope they stay away from DnD and do their own system. I have played almost all the DND computer games over the years and have loved them, but now the idea of an established rule system with established monsters, etc., is more of a drawback than an asset, in my opinion. I would try it if they do it, but I would prefer something more original.

just to give my two cents - the ssi adnd series, while pivotal, and delightfully nerdy, were not something I would ever want to be subjected to again. almost entirely devoid of fun, life, and after you played one, combat became almosr unbearable. basically like reducing dnd back to being a miniatures game.

Dark sun would probably be the best example. But then again Ravenloft 2 is one of my favourite dungeon crawlers of all time ;) But as I posted before, most of these games being mentioned are not even true SSI games (which these guys worked on) including both Ravenloft games and veil of darkness which are Dreamforge games. Having said that, I am sure they will certainly be an inspiration just as much as the special projects games.

Dark Sun was my #2 favorite game for a time, but it's really just the atmosphere of desolation that made every NPC and object count that created this feeling. It started out strong with the unique gladiatorial beginning and the multiple ways to facilitate an escape, but after reaching the open desert it's really just very loosely or mostly disconnected kill quests.

Back
Top Bottom