Fallout 3 - Review @ RPG Codex

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A less than positive review of Fallout 3 can be found at the Codex.
More than anything else, Fallout 3 suffers from a lack of cohesion, consistency and craftsmanship. Across the board, the quality of content runs the whole gamut (though moments of brilliance are particularly rare.) The game's highest "achievement" is the quantity of content and to this end, I feel like Bethesda have achieved absolutely very little. There's nothing in Fallout 3 that couldn't have been accomplished in four years by a hundred enthusiastic kids with rich parents.

There's really no critical justification for something that prides quantity over all else. Nobody lauds a movie that runs for 8 hours just for the sake of it. Nobody takes a ruler to a library and judges books by the width of their spine. Nobody pretends a gallon of waffle-house coffee has any worth beyond the caffeine it contains. Same goes for a four litre box of cheap wine. Fallout 3 shares the same metaphorical space as fast-food, bulk buys, movie marathons. If the only thing you care about is having a metric fuckton of something, then it's probably worth getting. But even then, there are far superior products in the form of MMORPGs and games with "unlimited" procedural content.
More information.

Although I'm not a fan of Bethesda and their vision of FO3 I can't agree to that conclusion. In my opionion it's not a critical review, it's simple another step in codex' crusade against Bethesda.

There's really no critical justification for something that prides quantity over all else.

Kind of like their article, lots of quantity or hot air as we like to call it.
I was expecting something like this. I feel a bit for them because to hear them talk the industry ceased producing games after Fallout 2.

So far this review was the closest at describing how I felt playing Fallout 3. Quickly bored, failing to be interested by the NPCs, their lives, the history and fate of the places I was visiting.
To me Fallout 3 felt like a mindless and repetitive exploration of uninteresting locations, and using a combat system (FPS) I am not particularly fond off in general (and it's not even on par with Bioshock, Half-Life, and the like in terms of action game).

Sure many won't agree, some people even went as far as naming it GOTY. Just because a majority doesn't feel this way doesn't mean RPGCodex... or I... aren't allowed to feel disappointed by Fallout 3. It just means we have different tastes and expectations.

Fallout 3 is the first Fallout game I didn't feel like replaying once I finished it... I even replayed Fallout Tactics, twice.

PS: My only good moment in the game was when I got to blow up Megaton because at that very moment I knew I WASN'T GOING TO HEAR MOIRA AGAIN, EVER! THAT ***** IS FINALLY DEAD.

"So far this review was the closest at describing how I felt playing Fallout 3. Quickly bored, failing to be interested by the NPCs, their lives, the history and fate of the places I was visiting."

This is the complete opposite of how I felt playing Fallout 3, fortunately for me I seem to be in the vast majority so hopefully game designers will make more games like this.

So far this review was the closest at describing how I felt playing Fallout 3. Quickly bored, failing to be interested by the NPCs, their lives, the history and fate of the places I was visiting.
To me Fallout 3 felt like a mindless and repetitive exploration of uninteresting locations, and using a combat system (FPS) I am not particularly fond off in general (and it's not even on par with Bioshock, Half-Life, and the like in terms of action game).

Sure many won't agree, some people even went as far as naming it GOTY. Just because a majority doesn't feel this way doesn't mean RPGCodex... or I... aren't allowed to feel disappointed by Fallout 3. It just means we have different tastes and expectations.

Fallout 3 is the first Fallout game I didn't feel like replaying once I finished it... I even replayed Fallout Tactics, twice.

PS: My only good moment in the game was when I got to blow up Megaton because at that very moment I knew I WASN'T GOING TO HEAR MOIRA AGAIN, EVER! THAT ***** IS FINALLY DEAD.

Go back to Megaton Ruins.
Moira is NOT dead.
She's a radiated mutant now.

Exactly, the game is trash just like all of their games. I wish they would stop making games, but idiots keep buying them that's why they keep making the same crap, over and over again :(

Obviously the Codex gave Wanderer a day pass for Christmas!!

Exactly, the game is trash just like all of their games. I wish they would stop making games, but idiots keep buying them that's why they keep making the same crap, over and over again :(

I hope they keep making games like this so "idiots" will keep on whining and being disappointed :)

So how many reviews is the Codex gonna publish? I smell a secret ploy to keep the NMA review roundups running to 100...

I only just started into the game myself, and so far it doesn't have a classic vibe to it. On the other hand there are few games where I felt like that, and the original Fallout wasn't one of them. And despite what the review says, neither the Codex nor the rest of the world will quickly forget FO3, and ironically, it maybe sites like the codex, that are largely to blame for that -they have imbued the series with a sense of drama, that is, in my opinion, disproportional even to the quality of the original games. Still - thorough, largely well argued review-

Well it was less sarcastic then i would think.

One thing i would change was the part about " Fallout far exceeds its third installment in every way, except for the graphical tech (obviously), but this is vastly overshadowed by the superior art direction of the original games."

Fallout 1 and 2 is game that i never finished. I got tired about the teadious slow combat. And when i did re-started fallout 1 after i finished fallout 3 ( I WANT TO FINISH THEM!) i was really amazed how familiar i felt in the art department.

Hm. Seeing they think its a step up from oblivion was also a surprise for me. So, i guess this game got better review from them then i thought. Many points i agreed on and many points i thought made the game great, and they thought it was awful.

Its different taste.

Well, for me the review was more useful then the glowing review since i got the feel for the game and knowing i love bethesdas game i just had to turn all the bads to greats! :)

I haven't had a chance to play Fallout 3 yet, I was laid off for 6 weeks and now Christmas gifts are eating all my spare change, but I'm not surprised the Codex hated Fallout 3. These guys are all living in the past, and can't accept the changes to crpgs that have taken place over the last 15 years. I feel really sorry for them. I generally love Bethesda Softwork games, so I'm hopeful for F3.

Anybody have a guess as to whether it will play on a P4 3.0 processor that isn't dual-core but is hyper-threading? I've got 1.5 gigs of ram and an BFG overclocked 7800 gs iirc. It was the fastest AGP card you could buy for my system.

So why do all the morons use guest accounts to post stuff like this? I'm willing to bet he has an account and was just afraid to stand behind his arguements. Chicken.

What a very unprofessional review, another in the many reasons I avoid the codex.

This pretty much sums up what I feel about the game. I had some fun and felt it was a welcome improvement over Oblivion, but Bethesda has a long way to go before they make a real Fallout game.

Anybody have a guess as to whether it will play on a P4 3.0 processor that isn't dual-core but is hyper-threading? I've got 1.5 gigs of ram and an BFG overclocked 7800 gs iirc. It was the fastest AGP card you could buy for my system.
Definitely,I think you can run it on medium.I have P4 2.2 1GB Ram and 7600 and it runs great on medium-low.

It could be better (review and game).I don't know why but after lvl 16 I typed qqq in console and never even bothered in playing it:S

Codex reviews usually have the 'Trillion Year Spree' effect on me, so I'm afraid I must get FO3 after all.

I haven't played the game, because I know the type of game it is, and I don't care for that type of game.
I do have to say that review was just a venemous spew of ranting. I hope the reviewer can show us all his new game that he produced and is shipping soon? No?
To the reviewer: stop, go do something else, bowling is good, canasta, dominoes, really, it'll be a much better world then.

"So far this review was the closest at describing how I felt playing Fallout 3. Quickly bored, failing to be interested by the NPCs, their lives, the history and fate of the places I was visiting."

This is the complete opposite of how I felt playing Fallout 3, fortunately for me I seem to be in the vast majority so hopefully game designers will make more games like this.

How the hell do you take pride en being one of a stupid mainstream crowd thats being spoonfeed braindead games, books, movies etc. Geez some people just give up dont they.

How the hell do you take pride en being one of a stupid mainstream crowd thats being spoonfeed braindead games, books, movies etc. Geez some people just give up dont they.

This makes you a much smarter person. I love this arguement. Not only is it rude and derogatory but it also makes you look like an ass.

Harsh but fair. The way it's gotta be.

Back
Top Bottom