Indie RPG of 2008 @ GameTunnel

Spirit Engine, I guess. We've mentioned it but I'm not even clear what the gameplay is (side-scrolling...is it a "real" RPG or a platformer or a bit of both?) and we report news - which means someone needs to preview or review it or whatever.

Give it a try - if we should cover it more, let us know.

Looks like an rpg to me not a platformer. I'll check the demo out later today.

I went to the home site and the developer says that GameTunnel is the only non-blog that's ever mentioned his game, and that he's "not much of a salesman".

I'd say that's an accurate self-assessment, and a solid indicator of just how far you'll go with viral-only marketing.

Well, I've seen Spirit Engine mentioned here too, even if only once. GothicGothicness seems to like it a lot, maybe he/she could write a review for us? ;)

The only platform RPG I ever played is the ancient but still awesome WonderBoy III: Dragon's Trap.

Out our curiousity I dowloaded and played a bit. Yes it is an RPG not a platformer, but a very curious RPG. The writting has been okay thus far but I haven't been able to figure out the combat. You start off picking three characters types ( probably Priest, Musketeer and Knight) and then it's off you go. The music is surprisingly good but the grapics are early 90s. Reviewers have stated the game has some depth, but I am way to early in to see if that's true. But thus far it seems to be enjoyable and I am heavily leaning towards the 18 dollar download/purchase.

Tried the demo yesterdays evening. The graphics are decent enough... it's just the combat system which I find so far particularly mind-boggling and the total lack of freedom. You have no option at all concerning the story, what your characters do or don't, it's all about reading a story and fighting battles. That's a major problem for me.

Back
Top Bottom