Upgrading CPU to Ryzen 2700x

Hello again. I've decided to keep my current PC and just upgrade the CPU and RAM. Can someone tell me the highest quality parts that would fit that current motherboard of mine? It currently has the i5 4670 cpu and 1333hz RAM. Thanks!

The best LGA1150 CPU is i7-4790K. Since you won't be overclocking anything on your chipset, pick i7 4790 CPU (non K).

That motherboard of yours supports max 1600Mhz DDR3 so buy any that's not slower or faster than that.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and type i5 4670 vs i7 4790 in to google. You are literally throwing money away if you upgrade to that for gaming purposes.

I’m shocked joxer didn’t say so.

There’s no upgrade path with your current chipset that’s going to net any real world noticeable gains.

I've posted it numerous times, feeling like a parrot but he doesn't listen. Because if, dunno, PCGamer said i7 or i9 then they're right.
Lost every bit of energy and won't bother any more. He asked about particular mobo, I answered.

is it worth upgrading the RAM at least? also it's not just gaming but basic audio/video editing too, if that makes a difference.

With 90% or more of games being GPU bound, there's really no point in upgrading your CPU right now to be honest.

16GB of RAM is also still enough for gaming in the near future. You could get faster DDR 3, but the difference probably wouldn't be worth it.

is it worth upgrading the RAM at least? also it's not just gaming but basic audio/video editing too, if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately no. A memory speed bump wouldn’t be noticeable.

Your best bet would have been to overclock but unfortunately your motherboard doesn’t support it.

With your current chipset you’re at a dead end.

I've already offer my advice but if you do upgrade the cpu to an i7 - esp the 4790 be aware it runs hot and you should use a cooler better than the oem. Also you should make sure that your mb firmware supports haswel refresh; if it doesn't and an upgrade is not available than skip the 4790; you won't be able to upgrade the firmware if you install the cpu first other than changing the rom chip (if your mb supports that).
-
Given your technical level of skill i would not replace the cpu yourself if you go that route. It isn't difficulty but it is easy to bend the mb pins or mess up the heat sink.

From what I hear, Intel is no longer including stock heatsink/fans with their CPUs so you have to purchase them separately now anyways.

I have an i7-4790K myself, and I had to replace my cooler earlier this year because the pins on my stock Intel cooler broke. I can highly recommend Arctic if you want solid coolers at reasonable prices. This is the one I have. Very cheap, and it's cooler and quieter than Intel's was.

That is just certain new cpu - i forget when that happened but it was after refresh haswel. Old stock still has the oem fans; unless you buy a used or oem cpu (oem cpu never included heat sinks).

From what I hear, Intel is no longer including stock heatsink/fans with their CPUs so you have to purchase them separately now anyways.

A) his last question was about upgrade for his current mb so only old stock relevant

B) his current mb does not support over clocking, but the k processors do have higher clock speed without over clocking.

Cool, but it's still something that other people might want to know. :)

If he does decide to get a new CPU, the 4790K would make the most sense. Last time I looked, there was only a $30 price difference between the K and non-K versions. Imo though he should just wait.

Yea I think he should wait and said that like the first or second post; but he feels that video editing would be faster with a faster cpu. The 4790k has a fairly fast clock so competes well with many newer multi-core processors but runs very hot. Also when i did a quick price check there is a bit of price gauging taking place on some old stock parts so there might be better bargins but the prices changes rapidly so it might be lower when/if he buys.
-
I have a couple of those and they are ok - i still prefer my old 2500k for gaming.

Cool, but it's still something that other people might want to know. :)

If he does decide to get a new CPU, the 4790K would make the most sense. Last time I looked, there was only a $30 price difference between the K and non-K versions. Imo though he should just wait.

Yea I think he should wait and said that like the first or second post; but he feels that video editing would be faster with a faster cpu. The 4790k has a fairly fast clock so competes well with many newer multi-core processors but runs very hot. Also when i did a quick price check there is a bit of price gauging taking place on some old stock parts so there might be better bargins but the prices changes rapidly so it might be lower when/if he buys.

I can't speak for others, but I've never experienced any heat issues with my 4790K, and I'm in a fairly warm environment. I also didn't see that mentioned in any reviews.

Old parts are almost always overpriced due to limited supply. Another reason not to upgrade without getting a new mobo.

When I noticed the issue I did a bit of search and there are several 1000+ threads over at intel about the issue. If you are curious take a look.

I can't speak for others, but I've never experienced any heat issues with my 4790K, and I'm in a fairly warm environment. I also didn't see that mentioned in any reviews.

I've decided to just hold firm with the current computer, and wait out a full upgrade. I mean, that money can go further in other areas, like a really nice joystick controller for Elite: Dangerous, and other little things like a wireless adapter for the Vive Pro and so on. My computer serves well enough at the moment, so I'll just wait until the CPU really becomes long in the tooth. But for my audio and editing AND gaming needs, it works well enough as-is. Thanks for all the advice everybody, I truly appreciate it.

When I noticed the issue I did a bit of search and there are several 1000+ threads over at intel about the issue. If you are curious take a look.

The only thing I get out of that is that some of them run hot. The 4790K is basically an overclocked 4770K, and the stock cooler probably isn't sufficient for some units.

I've never had an issue with mine despite using the stock cooler for the first several years. That said, I'd recommend to anyone getting a K processor to get a quality brand-name cooler.

I mean, that money can go further in other areas, like a really nice joystick controller
You know how a person can feel when their pet die?
Well, I feel down exactly like that after reading this.
The only thing I get out of that is that some of them run hot. The 4790K is basically an overclocked 4770K, and the stock cooler probably isn't sufficient for some units.

I've never had an issue with mine despite using the stock cooler for the first several years. That said, I'd recommend to anyone getting a K processor to get a quality brand-name cooler.
What issue with stock cooler on your specific CPU? That doesn't exist. Never heard of it. Ever. I don't care about tinkerers and their selfinflicted problems, normal user will never ever have any issue. Unless they think overheating with unoptimized unity games and similar crap is on CPU to blame.

What issue with stock cooler on your specific CPU? That doesn't exist. Never heard of it. Ever. I don't care about tinkerers and their selfinflicted problems, normal user will never ever have any issue. Unless they think overheating with unoptimized unity games and similar crap is on CPU to blame.

I didn't have any issues. Well, not until the pins broke on it. :)

Stock coolers included by the CPU manufacturer are generally very basic and not very efficient.

Back
Top Bottom