Elex Motion sickness

Dilvish

Sentinel
What is up with this game? I am mostly at 50fps, but the game/camera is still jerky. I had to stop playing before I puked!

It's been a while since I played a non-isometric game, but had similar feeling with MOTB, though it took longer to feel sick.

No issue on my side. Game is silky smooth on Ultra, whether 60 FPS (1080p) or 30 FPS (1440p).

I don't get motion sickness - but my last girlfriend had that problem big-time with all FPS/TPS games.

In her case, I found that by locking the FPS to 30 - it all but went away for her. Personally, I could never live with 30 FPS - but she didn't care at all.

Might be worth a shot.

As for ELEX - it's silky smooth for me.

I tend to get motion sickness in pure FPS games, especially older ones where the physics were crap, but it's very rare in 3rd person games for me.

The only time I can think of was Morrowind, using the boots of speed to sprint around like crazy (use an anti-blind kind of thing before putting on the boots to counter the blindness thing).

Sorry to hear that ELEX is causing such issues. I guess you could try to turn down the graphics (view distance for example) to ensure that it's always smooth.. ?

I don't play Elex but know a couple of people with motion sickness, including my father.

Now one thing which seems to help a lot is to increase the Field of View (FOV).

And apparently it'set rather low in Elex to 85 Degrees. And while there is a setting in a file, this one does not seem to have any effect. Normally you'd want to change itin games to about 110 Degrees.

Maybe you'll find a mod for that or they'll patch it in later on.

Don't suffer from it but have a coworker that gets instantly nauseous when FOV is messed up or they have a fiah eye lens bubble effect.

How do I lock the game at 30fps?

Ripper posted a link to one way of doing it.

Personally, I prefer using a simple frame limiter - because it's easy to switch on and off, and you can be more specific about frame rates and what not.

I use Bandicam:

https://www.bandicam.com/downloads/

It's really a program meant for recording video - but you can just enable the frame-limit and ignore the rest. It works really well, in my experience.

All I'd add is that it might be worth limiting the refresh rate, too, which is why I picked a guide that mentioned it. It might be that limiting frame rate alone gives perfectly good results, but some people maintain that syncing the refresh rate too also helps. I don't have a strong opinion as I've rarely done it, but it makes sense as a factor worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom