BG3 Tips and Tricks

Baldur's gate 3

wolfgrimdark

Follower of Fenris Wolf
Original Sin Donor
I am finding out many things late. Sometimes by chance, sometimes by google. So much content I missed the first time as well. I am going through three times - Tiefling Warlock, Drow Ranger, Half-Elf Rogue ... and finding new stuff as I do.

I am avoiding tips and tricks related to quests and the like as they would be too spoilerish. These are just general things.

Anyhow I never knew how to change character direction w/out moving in combat - which is important. So a few things I have picked up - if I think of more will add them.

- Use CTRL to change the direction your character faces in combat

- If you want to take screenshots it seems to work best in DX11

- When in stealth it will remove all non-stealth characters from moving with you. This is important if you take your rogue fairly far and then get into combat .. and you wonder why none of your companions have your back!

- Crowd control, movement spells, healing ... I find these give you a great edge in combat. I love the feather fall and triple jump spells to really cover distance (without falling prone in the process).

- Use stealth to get surprise when you can, you get a free round. Remember to bring your teammates into combat as well.

- Save all the time. Especially before sleeping at camp.

- You get 2, not 1, ability points to spend at level 4. That may affect your ability points initially selected (like maybe have a 15 and 17 you want to make 16 and 18 ... or save them to boost one ability into a new modifer base).

- The "Sleight of Hand" skill is used for traps and lock picking, not just what it says in the description. My Ranger took the urban ranger and urchin background and was able to pick locks.

- It pays to explore and notice your passive die rolls when you do. I also make sure all the companions check with their skills (i.e. bring them along). Found a few secret areas I had missed the first time.

Not really a tip and more an annoyance. I couldn't find any post about how the ranger's animal companion works. I had hoped it would be a true companion. Alas finally got my ranger to level 3 and come to find out it is just a summons spell. Can't even name them. Pretty much killed most of my desire to even play a Ranger.

On the plus side I can have my Rogue and Warlock select "Folk Hero" background to get the animal handling skill. The warlock can also get the speak with animals ability. I think the rogue can later on as well depending on what sub-class you go with. Will know soon.

QUESTIONS:

Anyone figure out how to actually chose the ability to apply guidance to? Maybe its not fully implemented yet:

Guidance – Target receives a d4 bonus to an ability check of its choosing

I cast it but never gets asked what ability. I vaguely remember once casting another type of spell that adds to an ability and seeing a pop up row - but I couldn't select it and never saw it again. Forget which spell it was to try it again though.

JDR mentioned elsewhere that your party is set in stone. I have no idea what he ment with that. But if I understood right... If you pick a sausage party no way to switch to boobs party later. Or vice versa.

I really need some details.

JDR mentioned elsewhere that your party is set in stone. I have no idea what he ment with that. But if I understood right… If you pick a sausage party no way to switch to boobs party later. Or vice versa.

I really need some details.

There was an FAQ entry that indicated after the first act you need to make you final party selection. You can change them around in Act 1 which is the EA part. So all we have at the moment is the FAQ entry.

Here is the bit that has caused the stir:

Is your party permanent or can you change members out throughout the adventure?

Recruited companions will be at camp when not in the adventuring party, and can be swapped in and out at camp. After the first act however you are going to have to commit, also just like in real life.

Quick one:
- In the inventory screen, you can select any inventory slot and it will open up related items you could equip. Hovering over them then shows the comparison between the equipped and selected items.

Quick one:
- In the inventory screen, you can select any inventory slot and it will open up related items you could equip. Hovering over them then shows the comparison between the equipped and selected items.

This is awesome! Thank you.

A few more:
- In combat, you can easily get advantage by jumping behind your enemy. Backstab gives advantage - it also raises your chance of getting critical strikes (as you will be rolling two dice).

- Many enemies have certain resistances/vulnerabilities. These can be seen by right clicking on an enemy and pressing Examine. Make sure to arm the right weapon for the situation (e.g. bludgeoning for skeletons).

- You can change spells at any point, you don't need to rest to do so. Just press K and change spells around.

Oh another one, which may be obvious to some.

The game is heavily dice roll based. I started a game where I was literally just reloading every time a roll did not go my way. I realise now that this is not how to play this game. If this was a 15-hour game, I'd say go for it. But the game is already 20+hours in just Act 1 in Early Access. Reloading is not the right way to approach this.

I suggest playing the game and going with it. You can reload if you lose fights of course and if something goes horribly wrong - e.g. entire allied camp attacks you.

Otherwise, try to just go with it. Start up a new character and try other possibilities next time.

Thanks @Pladio; !

The backstab and examine I knew about but hadn't figured out how easy it was to change spells - I was only doing that at camp ... because of habit I guess because that is how most games do it (i.e upon rest).

The dice rolls are great. I can't say I always accept them :p But I am trying hard to only scum-save on ones that really bother me (like the child and the druid one).

Not really a tip/trick but more an awareness thing - the game is really good about reacting to certain classes and races. Lots of specific dialogue I have scene for Tiefling, Drow, Ranger, and Warlock. Then last night had the best ever exchange with my rogue that went on for some time.

I was in a small town (grove) that had a child Tiefling hawking cheap goods. They try to pull a con but my character had a lot of special rogue dialogue options - to turn the table on the kid, do special moves and checks based on dexterity, and then get into a discussion with the kid about various rogue techniques and cons. It was so much fun!

And even though I have been through a certain area 4 times now ... last night found a side corner I had missed and I got to listen to a bard sing a song and it was so well done I just sat back for the whole experience and watched. She had a beautiful voice.

if I understood right… If you pick a sausage party no way to switch to boobs party later. Or vice versa.

What, no magic girdles in the game? Have they no respect for tradition?

Yea, about that… I doubt Edwin or Edwina, depending on what you did, will make a cameo appearance. Such a shame.

I'd like to know where to find that Bard; I haven't come across her yet either.

I'd like to know where to find that Bard; I haven't come across her yet either.

Well if you don't mind a small spoiler. Also note you may have to pass some dialogue checks to encourage her.

She is off to the side of the druid grove - at the heart where they are doing the ritual, there are two paths opposite the path that leads to the stone door entrance. Facing away from the stone door the path on the right leads up a small path and the Tiefling bard lady is there.

This image shows the path: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50492854316_3e3020c8dc_k.jpg

Here's another easy one, but useful:
- Some characters have spells that increase skill rolls or even provide advantage. For example, if you have Thaumaturgy on your character, you get a bonus to Intimidation for 10 rounds (around one minute). If you use Shadowheart, you can use guidance on your character that will speak to give up to a +4 roll bonus to one check. There are several other ones you can use too.

Note: they only tend to provide that bonus for one check as far as I can see, but I may be wrong..

Here's another easy one, but useful:
- Some characters have spells that increase skill rolls or even provide advantage. For example, if you have Thaumaturgy on your character, you get a bonus to Intimidation for 10 rounds (around one minute). If you use Shadowheart, you can use guidance on your character that will speak to give up to a +4 roll bonus to one check. There are several other ones you can use too.

Note: they only tend to provide that bonus for one check as far as I can see, but I may be wrong..

Aye my Warlock has used the Thaumaturgy one. I always have Shadowheart case hers on my main for stuff. No idea if it is actually working as it sounds like you are supposed to pick an ability but maybe it stacks a pure bonus on any roll.

Had an epic battle last night and was up to 2am as no way to save. Basically got the entire area into battle thanks to pulling in aggro. Somehow managed to clear the entire place even though all I had were a few potions, food, and cantrips. One person did die. What helped is I got a breather where no combat so was able to eat food, resurrect, and hae one short rest available. But was trapped with no option but to enter combat again. Whole fight was just over 2.5 hours long.

Aye my Warlock has used the Thaumaturgy one. I always have Shadowheart case hers on my main for stuff. No idea if it is actually working as it sounds like you are supposed to pick an ability but maybe it stacks a pure bonus on any roll.

Had an epic battle last night and was up to 2am as no way to save. Basically got the entire area into battle thanks to pulling in aggro. Somehow managed to clear the entire place even though all I had were a few potions, food, and cantrips. One person did die. What helped is I got a breather where no combat so was able to eat food, resurrect, and hae one short rest available. But was trapped with no option but to enter combat again. Whole fight was just over 2.5 hours long.

Yeah the descriptions are not well done, but I think it just picks the first ability check you make.

One tip I wish I had known earlier: sometimes the dialogue bugs and you will not get any choices. Your character just stares at the one you are having a dialog with and nothing happens: press the space bar. Magic!

You have to really explore in this game to find some of the nicer items. On my third, and most thorough and complete, play through and finding so much stuff I have missed in the first two. Plus learning how to manage the game much better.

Stealth, along with things to enhance it, and movement related enhancements, with decent perception, and lockpicking and trap disarm, make a great character to explore with. So loving the thief class.

I have gotten away with some very risky but clever solutions to getting around enemies and obstacles. I will spend a good hour, or more, sometimes just looking for ways to do things without getting into impossible fights. It is a lot of fun with the rogue. But also enjoy the Warlock and Ranger a lot so far.

If you want some simple magic (like +1) items, the smith has some weapons and the druid traders supply sometimes changes a little. My Rogue now has two +1 daggers (and a recipe to make a masterwork dagger once i get the final ingredient I need which will be sweet), a +1 bow, a purple (ultra rare) stealth hood (turn invisible and stealth), Drow armor +1 stealth (and equivalent of +1 leather armor), a necklace that gives "misty step" spell, a ring that prevents the tadpole from doing things and protects against psionic attacks, boots that make you immune to web spells … so getting nicely decked out for level 4. Nothing to overpowered - mostly greens, two blues, and one purple (colors indicate power level and rarity). Here he is in his drow armor which I found last night in the Underdark:

There is so much to find. Found some harpies, a secret thieves den, a singing lady, and exploring last night I found a hidden campsight with a necklace that gives guidance spell, a secret basement (vague to avoid spoilers) … that then had a second secret area … that then led to a third secret area!

Found a very nasty book (won't show image although it really isn't a spoiler - just an image of the book):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50528201487_eb183b1cbe_o.png

Which I later destroyed.

Also had my ass handed to me by a Spectator, which is s lesser version of a Beholder:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50527321673_96d08c671b_o.png

And I found a small little grave … and well won't go into details but it was sad and very sweet.

So many things! The map is chucked full and like half-of it you will never see if you don't explore. Jumping (and things that let you jump farther or teleport) are very useful. Someone in the party with good perception is also good.

Having multiple characters increases your odds. I am sure I miss somethings when I just let my Rogue roam … but too difficult to do some of the harder to reach areas with the full party sometimes. Sometimes I scout then pick a better character to do the work that is needed.

Up to 78.3 hours played so far o_O guess I am really enjoying the game.

EDIT: A shot of his nice hood: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50503605343_1c412c627d_o.png

No tools yet to unlock camera or hide the UI but if anyone curious some random images in an album, nothing special though, things I share with friends: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfgrimdark/albums/72157716572717946

Last edited:
I noticed that anyone can cast magic from scrolls even my fighter. Is that part of the 5E ruleset or just something that Larian decided to allow for gameplay reasons?

I'm trying to remember how that worked in 2E and 3E. Weren't scrolls restricted to certain classes? Or did the character just need a minimum INT that depended on the level of the spell?

I noticed that anyone can cast magic from scrolls even my fighter. Is that part of the 5E ruleset or just something that Larian decided to allow for gameplay reasons?

It says in the screen tips somewhere that you could only cast scrolls with casters as far as I remember. Could be that it said it elsewhere in the game. Probably a bug?

It says in the screen tips somewhere that you could only cast scrolls with casters as far as I remember. Could be that it said it elsewhere in the game. Probably a bug?

Yeah sounds like a bug to me. Rogues get UMD at level 13 and if I recall correctly they can use scrolls with it but no other core classes should be able that don't have arcane/divine levels.

Back
Top Bottom