Wizardry 7: Crusader of the Dark Savant

OK my love hate relationship with this game continues. I hate giving up and looking at a walk through but again forced to. No Spoilers. Trying to get into the Land of Dreams in Munkharama and I get a 2 part question. The second answer is total BS. There is NO WAY I would ever pick that response. I simply don't get how these designers thought some of these puzzles were a good idea. There is just ALOT of bad design in this game and if I had to pick the better game at this point I'd probably vote Grimoire.

OK my love hate relationship with this game continues. I hate giving up and looking at a walk through but again forced to. No Spoilers. Trying to get into the Land of Dreams in Munkharama and I get a 2 part question. The second answer is total BS. There is NO WAY I would ever pick that response. I simply don't get how these designers thought some of these puzzles were a good idea. There is just ALOT of bad design in this game and if I had to pick the better game at this point I'd probably vote Grimoire.

I really like Wizardry 7's class system and character development, but otherwise I agree with you. Wait till you get to the ratkin funhouse. That is just an exercise in frustration, if you ask me.

Yeah I can't wait for Ratland then. Still can't handle the 3 phase combat in the grove to get there. Pretty soon though. My favorite area so far has been Dionysceus. That was done right. Plenty of puzzle content but not overly obtuse. I still haven't hit the top of the tower but I do love the game - currently trying to level my Mage turned Samurai back up a bit so I can use my Nuclear Blast again. Pretty hard losing all my panic AOE even for a short while! But nice she can handle melee now :)

Also I have to say I’m glad there are other folks out there who have struggled and it’s not just me. I feel bad criticizing such a golden classic like Wizardry 7 because it is beloved and a pinnacle of the genre in a way. But boy can it get frustrating. You’ll have to excuse my periodic venting. I’m sure I’ll do so again soon!

I think the game story logic already lost me in Wizardry 6 when I had to give a product serial ID to a giant snail...or something like that...

Also I have to say I’m glad there are other folks out there who have struggled and it’s not just me. I feel bad criticizing such a golden classic like Wizardry 7 because it is beloved and a pinnacle of the genre in a way. But boy can it get frustrating. You’ll have to excuse my periodic venting. I’m sure I’ll do so again soon!

You have to remember how revolutionary Wizardry 7 was when it was released. It had the complex character system of a dungeon crawler, but had an open world. It was one of the first games to have competing factions, and those factions had people working dynamicaly in the background competing with you. It was also absolutely huge, had a ton of non-mandatory secrets, and was extremely brutal at the end, so anyone who actually finished the game had bragging rights, since that was not easy to accomplish.

Agreed. And for the record I haven’t found a single map. Every chest has been raided and when I ask for rumors they are all in various factions now. I ran across 1 NPC with a map (T’Shober the drunk Munk) and he wanted 10K for the Temple Map he apparently stole from under my nose. Tempted to kill him but he is also a roaming vendor so I haven’t and I completed the Temple anyway. I know Ratsputin has another one. I’ve decided to do without. Given the game difficulty it would have been nice not to have lost the race for every damn map though.

Killing Faction heads will often gain you one or more maps. Also the NPC map hunters will often kill each other as the game progresses concentrating maps slowly with certain faction heads.

I'm shelving the game for a bit as it has become a chore instead of an enjoyment. I do that with some hesitation given the amount of time put into it (including massive map annotating offline). My party is an untouchable wreaking ball of Monks, Ninja's and Samurai spell casters that make short work of anything. But the puzzles have done me in. I just burnt out. Finding the blind rat signet ring to get the red ball to acquire magic rubber band to solve the 6 spears sequence hidden by the Phoozhang as foretold on the Dragon Map. Ugh. I don't want to end up like Russel Crowe in a beautiful mind so I'm taking a step back. The only thing driving me at the moment is the challenge of puzzles and its just not enough to keep playing.

I'll come back later and slaughter the NPC's to get the maps with all the poetic hints. Maybe...

Back
Top Bottom