Outward - Gameplay Preview

1 save slot? lol
Well the game is considered hardcore you know.:lol:

Surprised @joxer; hasn't commented on console crap systems yet.:biggrin:

Only watched the first few minutes, not going to spoil anymore as this is a day one purchase for me, and its on steam (well, at the moment)

The more i hear the more i like. Combat looks a little more stiff than i first thought but not too bad.

As long as the game isn’t crashing or bugging out i have no problem with 1 save spot. Living with my decisions is a plus for me.

I'm somewhat intrigued but still not quite sure what to think of this one yet.

1 save slot for an open-world game is definitely a big minus though. I really don't get that decision.

Interestingly enough, I noticed this game has been available for preorder on the Epic Store for awhile now but not on Steam where there's still not even a price listed yet. Hmmm… could it be possible? ;)

The publisher is Deep Silver so yes it will probably be another Epic exclusive. This time I wouldn't care as I don't see another debacle like other games in this last few months.

Update: Steam says Available: 26th of March, 2019 so yeah.

Also this.
Our experience with pre-purchases (or pre-orders) is that they tend to be ineffective unless it’s a heavily anticipated, heavily marketed title, and even then we encourage titles to have short pre-purchase periods on Steam.

For most games, we've seen much better success if you wait until release and run with a discount off your product during the first week of sales. This gives your title the biggest opportunity to create buzz and visibility at a point where customers can actually play the game and share their excitement with their friends. Customers playing your game also means those customers’ friends are seeing them launch the game and post screenshots, discuss in the forums, etc., which can drive those other users to check out the game themselves and take advantage of the limited-time discount.

Most pre-purchase campaigns just don’t bring in much in the way of sales, and it's far better--in terms of both revenue and customer awareness--to save that buzz and excitement for when customers can actually play your game or use your software.

Running a prepurchase/preorder can also be a risk for both customers and Valve.

For these reasons, we do not support running a pre-purchase except in a few rare cases with partners with which we have a well-established relationship and that have a proven track record on Steam.

Not sure what to make of this one. I think the graphics are fine, at least good enough to give a decent sense of place. I just wonder whether all the ideas will come together into something engaging, or just an awkward and tedious experience. One save slot is not a good omen, IMO.

Well it's not permadeath is it? Are there NPCs, dialog, quests, any storylines? (I mean even a little of that stuff could go a long way in a survival RPG).

I really like the visuals and the exploration could be good (if there's enough interesting stuff to find/encounter). I'd have to play it to see if one save slot works for me or against me.

Update: Steam says Available: 26th of March, 2019 so yeah.

Yeah, I was just fishing for reactions there. I already knew a Steam release was confirmed because I saw a developer reply to the question in the Steam forum.

The butthurt around here would have been glorious though. :biggrin:

The one save slot probably isn’t an issue because it works for Souls games but the death mechanic might. Souls never leaves you weaker than when you died but this game can strip you of equipment and leave you stranded. Imagine playing 40+ hours and you end up a nearly naked prisoner having to fight your way out of captivity. Sounds ok except there is only one shot to make it happen. Could be a real problem for this game.

The one save slot probably isn’t an issue because it works for Souls games but the death mechanic might. Souls never leaves you weaker than when you died but this game can strip you of equipment and leave you stranded. Imagine playing 40+ hours and you end up a nearly naked prisoner having to fight your way out of captivity. Sounds ok except there is only one shot to make it happen. Could be a real problem for this game.

I thought the death mechanic sounded really cool at first, but after thinking about it you may be right.

If your dying a lot, you could be spending a lot of time in these scenarios. Also, they would need countless scenarios to avoid getting repeated scenarios and getting bored.

Hmmm, I'm on the fence with this one. It looks interesting, but from everything I've read it seems lite on purpose. If I'm going to micro manage things to stay alive, there needs to be well defined purpose for it all. Another concern I have is the small size of the development team… not that small development teams are bad, but too many times games from small developers start out well enough but become increasingly watered down and lite in content as you advance through the game. In a game like this, where spending a lot of time and energy staying alive, I'd really hope that as you move through the game there are a lot of great experiences for having survived.

I don't mind the one save slot, assuming I can save whenever I wish. I just don't like waiting for a check point to show up, when I'm done and want a break I tend to want to close down immediately.

I don't mind the one save slot, assuming I can save whenever I wish. I just don't like waiting for a check point to show up, when I'm done and want a break I tend to want to close down immediately.

I don't think having 1 save slot means you can't save manually in this case. You're just limited to only having 1 save per character.

I could be wrong about that though. If it does indeed turn out that it's a checkpoint-only save system on top of having only 1 save slot, that would probably be the final nail in the coffin afaic.

I’m guessing it works like dark souls. It save basically after anything you do to prevent save scumming. You can exit anytime and it will save. No checkpoints.

I’m not going to be happy if I spend a bunch of time finding and crafting equipment and supplies just to lose them to the death mechanic. It will discourage me for taking advantage of the whole crafting system and revert to using generic finds.

I don't want to have to exit the game to save, and I certainly hope it doesn't work that way. This is supposed to be a fully open-world game, isn't it? I want to be able to save whenever I like.

I'm already disappointed about the single save slot. They're promoting that as a feature when, to me, it's an unnecessary limitation.

Those are the kind of things I'd expect to see in a more linear action game or shooter not in an open-world RPG.

Back
Top Bottom