BioWare - Yet More KotOR MMO Rumours

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A site called Primotech is the latest to claim BioWare's MMORPG is based on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, according to unnamed source "close" to BioWare:
A source close to BioWare confirmed to us today that the studio’s upcoming untitled massively-multiplayer online RPG will be centered around the Star Wars universe, specifically that of Knights of the Old Republic, which the developer released in 2003. The game garnered critical acclaim and spawned a less-popular sequel, released by Obsidian two years later.
More information.

And what about the multi million dollar one Sony runs? I can't see Lucas backing 2 competing Star Wars MMOs.

Gamespot reported that SWG is down to 100,000 subscribers or so. If the game comes out in a year or two, it will probably be a good time for a new Star Wars MMO. Whether or not it will be any good is a big question, since the Star Wars universe isn't very good material for an MMO.

I am yet to understand how "SW: Knights of the Old Republic" is a special sub-setting/sub-universe in the Star Wars setting/universe. Either a game is based on the Star Wars setting/universe or it isn't.
I am able to understand how BioWare can use "SW: Knights of the Old Republic" as a brand, but how can BioWare use it as a universe?
I would be glad if someone would explain the details of this to me.

I think that it's because there is nothing cannon written in for that time period. So they are free to do whatever they want.

I am yet to understand how "SW: Knights of the Old Republic" is a special sub-setting/sub-universe in the Star Wars setting/universe. Either a game is based on the Star Wars setting/universe or it isn't.
I am able to understand how BioWare can use "SW: Knights of the Old Republic" as a brand, but how can BioWare use it as a universe?
I would be glad if someone would explain the details of this to me.

Well, I'm not an expert, but I think the KotOR universe is part of the expanded universe (EU) which is not considered canon.

The background was established in 1994 by the "Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic" comic book by Kevin J. Anderson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_the_Jedi:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic

It is inconsistend in some points with the canon (especially the role of the Medichlorians).

That's all I know.

Canon or no, SW, one of the biggest "fantasy" worlds and biggest fandoms in the world clearly deserves a bigger and better MMO than SWG. It is highly time something new comes. If Bioware is developing it, is something entirely else. But given the fact EA paid $860 million (!) I cant see anything but a SW or a D&D 4th edition MMO pays such sums. No matter how good their MMO would be, I just dont see a new IP or something like Jade Empire or Mass Effect really would catch such great numbers.

I personally hope it will be a KOTOR MMO, but I guess we have to see.
Man, its one of those news that really makes my heart beat faster. *gg*

Last edited:
I think that it's because there is nothing cannon written in for that time period. So they are free to do whatever they want.
Yeah, nothing 'canon', but plenty of references even in the books for the prequels. So you have the basis to work around and tons of freedom.

Its a damn shame if next kotor is MMO instead of good old singleplayer crpg.

I'm curious if we can confirm this information in other ways like looking for government registrations or such.

As such, we have so far what amounts to a leak. From day 1 the rumours were the Austin MMORPG offices were set up specifically for Star Wars, but then Obsidian does the sequel for the original. And now we have Mass Effect which rumour has it is a lot like KotOR. Those last two points alone were thought to be proof enough that Bioware is sick of dealing with third parties.

</lurk>

The events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are actually considered canonical. They were declared canon a few years back. KotOR 2 has not yet been so declared (not a judgment on my end, just the facts as I know them).

<lurk>

So Star Wars Galaxies is shutting down?

This would have to be the case if a KOTOR MMO is being made, canon or not. Lightsabres and Jedi are Star Wars. There is no question about that.

I can't imagine a KOTOR MMO. It's fine for a single-player game, but taking the restrictive nature of the KOTOR franchise (ie the PC is, or at some point becomes, a Jedi) just seems contrary to the open world aspect of an MMO. Jedi running around everywhere would be painfully dull.
I've never played the Galaxies MMO, but I would think that if one is to do a Star Wars MMO, you'd want it to be as expansive and all-encompassing as possible, allowing for all manner of characters to inhabit that universe. Not just Jedi.

Back
Top Bottom