Nerdy, Geeky and just weird things you do

P

pibbur who

tl;dr: pibbur is calling names.

I'm sure I'm not the only one. This is a thread for sharing some of the more intellect… eh…peculiar things you like to spend time on.

Here's a few of mine: Naming things. More specifically, naming my computers and computer like thingies.

I like to dedicate my hardware to specific themes, using wallpapers and naming the machines and partitions accordingly.
  1. Windows 10 machine: Dedicated to the fine arts. Wall-papers from paintings (and artsy game pictures). Partitions are named after famous artitsts and art movements: "Caravaggio", "Dali", "Expressionism", "Impressionism", "Rothko" (network), "Hertewig" (network home)… And I've called it "Guernica".
  2. Windows XP machine: Dedicated to space and science fiction. Partitions: "Callisto", "Dawn". Name of the machine: "Liar", short for "Lying Bastard", the spaceship in Larry Niven's Ringworld series. That machine can also be booted as a (Fedora) linux machine and for that I've chosen the name "Mendax" which is latin for "liar".
  3. Laptop: Dedicated to music and horror. Wallpaper: The Frankenstein monster. Partitions: "Can", "Dracula". And the name of the machine: "Igor".
  4. Tablet: Dedicated to microbiology. Partitions: "Clostridium", "Dengue". And the name "Haloquadra", after Haloquadratum Walsbyi, an archae species with quadratic cells.
  5. Cellphone: Name is "Anhima", after the bird Anhima Cornuta (horned screamer), and the ring tone is the scream from Careful With That Axe, Eugene. Notification sound for SMS is aaaH-aH ,yawA eM ekaT ot gnimoC er'yehT ("They're coming to take me away" backwards).
  6. Linux machine: Dedicated to mathematics and physics. Name (very happy with that): "Sinux".

What about you?

pibbur who calls himself "pibbur"

PS. Conntributions are welcome, even contributions,but try to avoid calling people (including pibbur) pathetic idiots and things like that. OTOH: Do I own this a thread? Of course. Not. DS.

PPS. Some of you are maybe not weird at all. Which of course makes your really weird. Here. DS.

PPPS. I have no control over my job laptop, but the it department kindly named it PC112358, after the first 6 digits of the Fibonacci series. DS.

Last edited:
My PC… And tablet… I don't do stuff thematically like you. It's all mess there for anyone who sees it, but for some reason I instantly know where something is - it's probably my odd brain that finds strange logic in things.

Not sure if it's nerdy, but for years now, I'm obsessed with asian soaps (okay, those aren't really soaps but let's call them that way). A day sucks if I didn't see at least one episode of any asian series.

I think I've never wrote it on this forum, but I'm also obsessed with nerdy glasses. I don't need glasses except sometimes so I don't use them all the time. But when I see someone using nerdy glasses and not those "cool" crap, I'm melting. Not doing it any more, but there were times when I had urges to browse through optics webshops. And my, I'd bet there are more different nerdy frames offered than fancy ones.

I classify all my games by developer.

I make icons for each game under a dosgames directory with additional directories for developers. This was originally for just dos games but now stands for 'definitely old school games'. I use mobygames to track down the information and get cover art for the icons. Then I clean up the icons by removing things like stickers with gimp which is an art program. I kind of have to do a digital archaelogy to discover what is under the stickers and repair it as best I can. In this way I work on my art skills as well.

Its been an interesting activity because along the way I discover who developed what game and when. You can see a sort of evolution of developers style and thinking. You also see game series change hands multiple times and learn along the way what happened and why. Mobygames has been quite good for this.

Additionally I get games to work under various forms of emulation like dosbox and PCem. I also plan to work on launchers for my games and have built one for Might and Magic 1.

Attachments

• xenon_front_v4_.jpg
    xenon_front_v4_.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 119
  • xenon_front.jpg
    xenon_front.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 111
I named my sabre "Charles". He just always struck me as a Charles. Feel free to call me names, just do it where Charles can have a chat with you =)

I play Bridge!!

I collect gaming dice; lost count once it got to over 700 ... :)

I play Bridge!!

That's weird. I thought all ozzies played cricket.

BTW: I am considering getting a machine with an Australian theme. I think I'd call it "Taipan", and with partietions named "Croc", "Devil", "Honeybee", "Irukandji", "Kylie", "Recluse" and "Widow".

And this wallpaper:
The-Return-of-the-King-Shelob-s-Lair-lord-of-the-rings-3767524-240-101.jpg

pibbur who thinks it may be a bit … extravagant to buy a new PC just for that purpose.

Last edited:
I did the test instead of working. Does that count ?
You answered "yes" to 150 of 500 questions, making you 70.0% nerd pure; that is, you are 70.0% pure in the nerd domain (you have 30.0% nerd in you).
According to the scoring guide, your nerd experience level is: Nerd in Training
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 10%, based on a comparison of your test results with 52554 other submissions for this test.
The average purity for this test is 63.4%.

See above and below again:

You answered "yes" to 150 of 500 questions, making you 70.0% nerd pure; that is, you are 70.0% pure in the nerd domain (you have 30.0% nerd in you).
According to the scoring guide, your nerd experience level is: Nerd in Training
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 10%, based on a comparison of your test results with 52554 other submissions for this test.
The average purity for this test is 63.4%.

It's a trap. If you answer 500 questions to determine if you're a nerd, you are one. :p

My test score:
You answered "yes" to 179 of 500 questions, making you 64.2% nerd pure; that is, you are 64.2% pure in the nerd domain (you have 35.8% nerd in you).
According to the scoring guide, your nerd experience level is: Closet nerd

1. I've data-based my entire C64 collection with additional important information such as cracker and musician. I also have a humble Amiga collection that's been waiting for the same treatment for some time now…

2. I started making notepad and doc files for MAME, arcade and C64 scores replete with marquee or box art as the header to each entry to give that extra aesthetic and nostalgic quality.

3. I still collect game-books and books that I loved from childhood. For instance, I have the entire main Fighting Fantasy series not counting some of its ancillaries.

4. I still use CRT monitors! I also refuse to upgrade to a smart phone and maintain a work phone for pure functionality only. Current ringtone is the opening theme from 1983's Archon, nothing quite as terrifying as "Careful with that Axe Eugene" which really cracked me up. :) (I had the R-type theme last year…)

5. I named my treasured feline companion Misha after my favourite chess player; the 7th world champion, the ever joyfully brilliant magician from Riga, Mikhail Tal (RIP)

Habits of RPG fans are often curious things. :)

Last edited:
I have over 7000 disks of either the 5.25 or 3 1/2 size and haven't owned a machine that could run them for over a decade. Would they even read still? Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom