Weird West - Hands-On Impressions @ GamesRadar

Redglyph

SasqWatch
GamesRadar shares their impressions about Weird West.

Weird West hands-on: a top-down RPG that's incredibly immersive and very vibey

Whiffs of Dishonored and Fallout linger in the air around upcoming RPG Weird West

I am getting my ass kicked by undead miners. Time and time again, as I try to travel back to a town called Grackle to cash in on a bounty, I'm interrupted by a trio of zombies hurling sticks of dynamite at me. Time and time again they kill me and I load back up at the last town I was in, just to walk right back into the pyromaniac predators again. I try hurling dynamite at them, hacking them up with a machete, and letting loose a barrage of gunfire from my pistol, but it isn't until I realize my shotgun detonates the dynamite sticks in their decaying hands that I finally best the bastards. This is the world of Weird West, a brutal immersive sim set in a bizarre version of the infamously lawless lands.

It's no surprise that Weird West is so immersive (and so punishing). The top-down, twin-stick shooter RPG is from WolfEye Studios, led by Raphael Colantonio - the former founder, CEO, and creative director of Arkane Studios. Colantonio channeled his love for immersive sims into Arkane games like Dishonored and Prey, but Weird West takes that immersive sim love and adds a healthy dose of top-down RPG flavor reminiscent of Ultima 7 and the original Fallout.

[...]

m_ww.01.jpg
More information.

What in tarnation is a "twin-stick shooter" RPG?

What in tarnation is a "twin-stick shooter" RPG?
Link - https://honeysanime.com/what-is-twin-stick-shooter-gaming-definition-meaning/
Many gamers nowadays are used to games that require two analog sticks to play. The idea in most games is the right stick is used for camera manipulation and the left for movement. However, there are numerous games that deviate from this formula and one of these genres just so happens to be the focus of today’s article. In today’s article we will be discussing the genre of Twin Stick Shooter and how these games differ from other shooting based titles.

In our What is Twin Stick Shooter article, we will be teaching all of you gamers out there what the term means and why you should care. Twin stick shooter based games are not only tons of fun but can be a nice change of pace from the first and third person shooting games out there. Our What is Twin Stick Shooter article will make sure that by the end you’re not only well versed in the definition but also have some games to possibly play that you never have before. Alright folks, let us not delay any further and jump right into this article so you can read and increase your gaming knowledge up one more level
Basically that type of combat combined with RPG elements.:)

Or in simpler terms, one stick controls the direction you move and the other controls the direction you shoot.

Yikes, that sounds like a game that might be made specifically for controllers. I have one, yet I'm much more a fan of my keyboard and mouse. Now I'll be extra curious as to what people might think when this is out early next year.

Yikes, that sounds like a game that might be made specifically for controllers. I have one, yet I'm much more a fan of my keyboard and mouse. Now I'll be extra curious as to what people might think when this is out early next year.
I think they mentioned it was running with keyboard and mouse. I hope it's fine, that's how I'd play it too, I'm not a console controller guy.

So this will be Joxer's favorite game?! :lol:
You can try a similar game called The Ascent it's a "twin-stick shooter" RPG as well.

Edit: Some call it a "twin-stick shooter" RPG because of the combat.
The simple act of shooting things never gets old in The Ascent, but combat as a whole does lose its lustre after the first few hours. … As a twin-stick shooter with light RPG mechanics, The Ascent is a magnificent example of how far set dressing and punchy shooting can take you.

Last edited:
I mostly enjoyed The Ascent which is a twin-stick shooter/light action-RPG. But then I'm one who actually plays more with a controller on my PC than a KB&M, so that was a comfortable fit for me.

Didn't actually know this game was a twin stick game as well. For me, that's not a deal breaker, though I'd prefer something more traditional or even turn-based.

I mostly enjoyed The Ascent which is a twin-stick shooter/light action-RPG. But then I'm one who actually plays more with a controller on my PC than a KB&M, so that was a comfortable fit for me.

Didn't actually know this game was a twin stick game as well. For me, that's not a deal breaker, though I'd prefer something more traditional or even turn-based.

I think the term can be somewhat misleading when applied to certain games. When someone says twin stick shooter, I think of games like Smash TV. I've played The Ascent, and it would never have occurred to me to call it a twin stick shooter.

I think the term can be somewhat misleading when applied to certain games. When someone says twin stick shooter, I think of games like Smash TV. I've played The Ascent, and it would never have occurred to me to call it a twin stick shooter.

Yeah, I kinda agree. Technically it is twin-stick (one moves, one aims) but the overall pace and design makes using both sticks, imo, not as critical as some games. Ultimately, it feels like playing an ARPG.

Funny, if this had been 1st or 3rd person you'd still be using one stick to move and one to aim... but then no one would refer to it as twin stick... so maybe it's the component of a having a really top down view (like SmashTV or Robotron). Or, I think, a more old school twin-stick would fire automatically when you pushed the aiming stick... and The Ascent has you still pulling a trigger on another button.

Personally I have disliked almost every game that has a top down perspective, and shooting mechanics that look like it was made thirty years ago for arcade machines.

I'm sure some of you remember you used one or two joysticks with buttons.:biggrin:

Twin stick shooters should translate really well to keyboard and mouse. You’d just use the keyboard to move and the mouse to aim.

Twin stick shooters should translate really well to keyboard and mouse. Youâ€d just use the keyboard to move and the mouse to aim.
Yeah, agreed.

To me this game sounds interesting. Interesting setting, hopefully fun action, and a somewhat customizable experience.

I think they mentioned it was running with keyboard and mouse. I hope it's fine, that's how I'd play it too, I'm not a console controller guy.

I imagine the mouse would control the camera and WASD the movement. There are other games that use this system and when well implemented it works fine.

I imagine the mouse would control the camera and WASD the movement. There are other games that use this system and when well implemented it works fine.
Probably, hopefully with a rotate left/right, and strafe with another key. I have no idea how they did for the elevation. ScreenRant describes the keyboard & mouse control as "squirrelly" ;)

Back
Top Bottom