https://www.shacknews.com/article/111682/rage-2-review-do-not-resuscitate
Pros
- Brutal, smooth combat that rivals previous id Software titles
- Tons of weapons and abilities to combine and use to take down baddies

Cons
- Mediocre story lacks any real investment for the player
- Short campaign means you'll spend a lot of time aimlessly wandering the world
- Open-world feels dull and boring despite being full of enemy encounters
- The ability system can sometimes be clunky to use, especially in larger combat encounters
- Lack of any real reason to return to the game after completing the campaign
- Combat gets repetitive after a while

5/10

https://www.mmorpg.com/columns/not-so-mmo-rage-2-review-mad-to-the-max-1000013628
FINAL SCORE: 8.3/10

Pros
- Tons of stuff to do
- Great shooting, great driving
- A metric ton of RPG-like progression
- Runs like a dream

Cons
- Buggy physics
- Side missions are repetitive

- Mediocre story lacks any real investment for the player
- Short campaign means you'll spend a lot of time aimlessly wandering the world

Well sounds like Rage all right. Seems they at least got that part right.:lol:

Well I never expected a good story with any Avalanche Studio game. They did a few surveys based on the Just Cause games, and the replies stated they didn't either.

Steam play data also shared that half the players never finished the main campaigns.

Aye, just as I've foretold.
It's surprising how well they've pulled off FP gunplay, ID was more being an advisor here.

I'm amazed at how suddenly trusting we are of theses so-called critics. One of them didn't like it so therefore it sucks?

I prefer to form an opinion after actually playing it myself. :)

It wasn't developed by one studio, it was a joint project.

If it's more like an id Software title, then I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy it. If it turns out to be more Avalanche Studios, then I'm not so sure. It boils down to how much influence id had on this.

And how many of Avalanche's games have you actually played yourself? Just curious what was so bad about them.

just cause 1-2, mad max.. mad max is decent. Just cause are very generic and overall just boring because it has nothing that really draws you into its world, its just a silly playground. i guess that's fine for some people, i need far more immersive worlds for open world games. Even games like farcry or assassins creed games surpasses them by far and i don't think those games are super immersive open world games in comparison to something like Fallout 3 or Witcher 3..

I've played a little of Mad Max and Just Cause but not enough to form a solid opinion. I liked what I saw of the world in MM, but the gameplay seemed somewhat repetitive. I don't agree that the Far Cry or the AC games are far more immersive though, at least not any of the AC games prior to Origins\Odyssey.

As far as comparing games like those to Fallout or The Witcher, I don't see the point. That's a completely different genre, and I don't expect a shooter to have the same type of immersiveness as an open-world RPG.

If immersiveness is your primary concern though, then shooters aren't the best genre to begin with.

I think there are some shooters that does solid and immersive world design, such as GTA, RDR or FO4 (ok its not a 100% shooter..), some of the FC's does it decently well too.. And yeah, i mean the later AC's..
Actually for JC it can start pretty cool and with some fairly interesting story elements too but it quickly turns into genericness and repeativeness.. it would not be impossible to pull off if they had the skill and will..

Imo, games such as Dead Space, Bioshock, Doom 3, and the Metro series are better examples of shooters where immersion is a strong factor.

I don't expect atmosphere to be a strong point in Rage 2. I'm leaning towards getting it though just for the gunplay and vehicle battles.

If immersiveness is your primary concern though, then shooters aren't the best genre to begin with.
On this I have to agree.

Instead of shooters, for those who want to immerse wherever, I suggest Abzu* or Subnautica.

Those who want Immersive Sims, buy Sims 3 and it's DLC named Isla Paradiso:

-----------------------------------------------------------
* - Abzu requires mushrooms for playing it or you'll suffer

Shooters can be really immersive if they put in the effort, Half-Life 1-2 would be good examples, or games like Last of Us (i always like to think of it as a modern half-life, even though its not first person). System Shock 2 is one of the most immersive games i've played, not strictly a shooter but a mix of RPG and shooter.

Making an immersive game has a lot to do with great world building, it's about creating a world which seems like it could really exist, you manage to give it a sense of place.
Bioshock did this quite well too..

I watched some reviews, looks pretty boring to me. Funny, but both video reviews I watched basically ended up recommending it, but noted some flaws and problems, that to me are very off-putting.

I'm also starting to suspect one of my favorite youtube reviewers, well, he was pointing out all these issues, (at one point he even calls the game "ugly" in terms of its graphics) and then says at the end - "but the game is still fun, get it!" - that made me think maybe this guy is paid off or something. Sorry to say, but this review was pretty shady that way, I thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVdjRj94o_Y

Making an immersive game has a lot to do with great world building, it's about creating a world which seems like it could really exist, you manage to give it a sense of place.
Are you saying a world where trashmobs appear out of thin air could really exist?
Sure, in sick minds of whomever wiped Dodo species it can.

Reviews are all over the place. It's quite the divisive game apparently.

I was very close to buying it yesterday, but then I did a little more reading and decided not to get it yet.

Apparently, you have to link to a Bethesda.net account to activate any DLC. That applies even if you purchased it directly from Steam which makes absolutely no sense to me. It's not a big deal, but I found it just annoying enough to make me hold off on buying for now.

Back
Top Bottom