Realms Beyond - Coming to Kickstarter in October

'JarlFrank: I'm not much of a nazi, just a little. I'm pretty much just butthurt over us losing WW2 and about the jews going all "evil holocaust-making Germans!" all the time.'

Erm… no. Just no. Not even if he's trolling. My folks lived through the blitz; the Nazis can suck it. More radioactive ooze from that toxic waste dump called the Codex.

Don't care in the least about what edgelord stuff the guy says on a forum, won't stop me from buying/playing the game. It's never stopped me from buying/playing games made by nutty SJW leftists, either - which is quite a few these days.

I see the term "Edge Lord" here for the very first time. What does this mean ?

I had a nice chat on the Games Com with one of the developers. He had originals of the Gold Box games, TOEE, Arcanum, und a few other (A)D&D-based games I didn't recognize. He told me he'd take them home again, because it would be too dangerous to leave these boxes there.

He left quite an enthusiastic impression to me.

There have probably been at least 40 D&D licensed or D&D clone RPGs since the 80s. Recent D&D esque RPGs include Sword Coast Legends, Low Magic Age, Knights of the Chalice. You also have upcoming games heavily inspired by D&D like Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Knights of the Chalice 2, and now Realms Beyond. D&D has also had a major influence on the systems of RPGs like KOTOR, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, ect.

I'd like to see a game with Myranor in it.

Ech, unless the book/material ( or profit) from it is used for promoting of whatever, I don't mind it. Separate art from the artist.
At best, some of my favorite authors were sociopaths.
Plus it's a codexian, they're just silly edgelords. We even caught one at last dernek and put it in the ring, pitting it against a small chicken. Still got it's ass kicked. :)

I see the term "Edge Lord" here for the very first time. What does this mean ?

It's a certain kind of character you might find in a university or college dorm, who has "shocking" posters on his wall, tries to raise his testosterone levels by listening to bad metal at all hours of the night, and tries to get attention by provoking people with outlandish opinions in the bar. They have now taken to the internet.

For example, the person in question has swastikas on his profile, and here is one of his profile quotes: "I conduct Esoteric Hitlerist rituals by sucking Aryan women's toes."

Yeah.

So, when trolls from the Codex try to get people here lathered up about him being a bona fide Nazi, I wonder if it's all just a bit silly. I mean, he might be, but he could just be one of those guys.

D&D has been around for 40+ years. it's a system that if much better refined than some crappy MMO-style system some snot-nosed kid scratched down in his Trapper Keeper

1. It's been refined for 40 years and is still one of the crappiest P&P roleplaying systems ever conceived. Why not make a videogame based off of a good P&P game for a change?

2. D&D 4th and 5th edition brought over many MMO concepts into their design

Ah, now I understand that term. Reads like "Puberty Troll 2.0".

The writers reddit history definitely has some white nationalist crap on it.

1. It's been refined for 40 years and is still one of the crappiest P&P roleplaying systems ever conceived. Why not make a videogame based off of a good P&P game for a change?

2. D&D 4th and 5th edition brought over many MMO concepts into their design

1. Cross out crappiest and exchange it with best.

2. 4th edition was MMO. 5th edition is the bomb :) This is coming from someone who went from playing AD&D since the 80's and just started playing 5th edition this year. I think it's fantastic.

Ech, unless the book/material ( or profit) from it is used for promoting of whatever, I don't mind it. Separate art from the artist.
At best, some of my favorite authors were sociopaths.
One of my favorite author is Celine, a well known antisemite. His books are awesome and don't reflect his personal thoughts.
I don't mind paying for his books because he's long dead (and had the shitty life he deserved), so my money never profited him.

I won't, however, fund the happiness of a living human pile of garbage.

Do what you want (Have an awesome game by giving money to an asshole), life is always a weird trade anyway.
I'm just glad torrents exists. ;)

Last edited:
One of my favorite author is Celine, a well known antisemite.

Journey to the End of Night is definitely worth a read, despite him being a dreadful man.

After almost 12 hours Gamescom hell, I am tired to death, so please excuse my bad writing.

Some clarifications:
1.) Guido worked a couple of months with us on Realms Beyond and contributed content for our world design. Early this year, he had to focus on other things. Maybe he will join us again - time will tell.

2.) I "left" the codex last year or so because I was sick of being permanently harrassed in almost every thread/topic by so called Alt-Rights/Trumpists/Neo Nazis. I am fine with those attacks in political threads, but those guys even attacked me (and my project) in threads related to RPGs and my game which made this place way too toxic for me.

3.) JarlFrank didn't and doesn't belong in any of those groups mentioned above because otherwise I wouldn't have asked him to join us in the first place. You don't need to like his (probably insensitive) humour nor his political views but as long as someone doesn't unequivocally make racist or anti-semite statements, I honestly don't care about the political alignment of my team members.
As studied historian, Frank definitely knows the German history very well and I never had the slightest hint that he denies or falsifies the role of the Nazis.
As team, we share the passion for true RPGs but that doesn't necessarily mean we need to share the same political opinion. But again, I never heard anything racist from JarlFrank and you should carefully read this older posts in regard to that.

By the way, in professional developer studios, you almost never know the political alignment of your co-workers and colleagues because it simply shouldn't matter at all when creating games. I really hope, the McCarthyism doesn't repeat in our industry. Before tagging someone as Nazi online, be sure to provide serious and definite examples of racist or anti-semite statements. Bad taste or insensitive humour shouldn't be the threshold to pillory someone and the attributes racist and anti-semite should be reserved for people who are actual racists and anti-semites.

As studied historian, Frank definitely knows the German history very well and I never had the slightest hint that he denies or falsified the role of the Nazis.

Look at his social media. If you don't get the slightest indication that this the guy might hold some far-right beliefs, then you're either very ignorant or in denial.

On youtube alone he has tribute videos of the third reich, metal bands singing Kinderzimmer holocaust (look it up), and dozens of playlisted videos that were terminated and the accounts banned. That's not to mention the hundreds of red flags on other sites.

Before tagging someone as Nazi online, be sure to provide serious and definite examples of racist or anti-semite statements.

Racists aren't that blunt anymore. They use dog-whistles, pseudo-science, and history revisionism. Looking at all his social media, the warning signs are all there.

Look at his social media. If you don't get the slightest indication that this the guy might hold some far-right beliefs, then you're either very ignorant or in denial.

On youtube alone he has tribute videos of the third reich, metal bands singing Kinderzimmer holocaust (look it up), and dozens of playlisted videos that were terminated and the accounts banned. That's not to mention the hundreds of red flags on other sites.
Do you have proof that he is acting on them?
Is western society now going to condemn people for thinking and sharing opinions but not breaking laws or doing anything specifically wrong?

That will turn west into just communist states where everyone is only allowed to think and say what government says you can.

Freedom of speech goes both ways. If you're a nazi, then you should be condemned.

@HobGoblin42;
I'm sorry, but there's no doubt about him.
Maybe you should be more interessed by what your lead writter has to say on different forums (reddit, codex, his youtube channel) before hiring him.
The writting is an important and sensitive part of any artistic project, I know you know that.

There's also plenty of other interesting projects and as long as nothing is done about him (maybe he should explain himself, but I'm sure he won't because he's an actual nazi sympathizer) I'm done with Realms Beyond.

Wich is a shame because it already looks like an excellent game (one of the best in preparation, actually).
I spent many hours of my time supporting it here, on reddit, youtube and some french sites and now I feel dirty.

Rest well and good luck.

Last edited:
The proof is all over his social media. For starters, he has videos of nazi parades with patriotic music in the background. That's not the behavior of a normal loving person.

He didn't break any laws, but anyone that believes my kind should be exterminated is an asshole and I'm uncomfortable supporting any creative project that they're involved in, much less in the position of lead writer.

Back
Top Bottom