Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Announced

This sounds really promising. Hopefully, they learned a lot on the last release and can execute better this time around.

Nope I predict Same balance, More bugs, Same writing.:p

Mostly kidding but not about the bugs.:biggrin:

Oh can I add one more hopefully less load screens.

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. Don't really care for Demons and alternate planes. One of the main reasons I couldn't stick with Oblivion. Gate after gate of fighting demons.

Having said that I don't even know how it will be implemented or presented so I'll reserve judgement until I see more.

Maybe after I finally get to playing Kingmaker I'll at least be excited about gameplay mechanics.

I loved Kingmaker and Im so thrilled their next game is again based on Pathfinder. If, at some point, they decide to go to kickstarter, I will pledge without second thought. This easily goes to top of my wishlist. But I suppose we might be like 2 years from release now.

I'm happy to see an actual project name and premise, these guys might have a good run coming up if they can keep the momentum going that they started with the first game. I wish them nothing but success!

I loved Kingmaker and Im so thrilled their next game is again based on Pathfinder. If, at some point, they decide to go to kickstarter, I will pledge without second thought. This easily goes to top of my wishlist. But I suppose we might be like 2 years from release now.

Codex posted German preview in one of their threads and apparently Owlcats are looking at 2020 release.

Probably don't need kickstarter this time. Mostly due to the funds raised from Kingmaker sales, and other investors is enough. I do remember reading they decided to remain independent.

More info:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

* The sequel is officially Announced. It is Wrath of the Righteous.
* Given Oleg's discussion of Kickstarter at Big Deal, it is likely that there will be another Kickstarter. It took half a year to go from absolute nothing to a vertical slice in Kingmaker's dev cycle. And another half a year to go from there to Kickstarter readiness. And then around half a year to get from there to Alpha 1. and 10 months in alpha to get to Beta. and 2 months to go from Beta to Full game. It seems likely, given that timeline, that we will get a Kickstarter soon; though no official word has been stated on this subject.
* Owlcat is now an Independent Studio, but received a $1 Mil investment from My.com to make the game.
* The official Website allows you to Sign up for a Mailing List and Get a Free digital Copy of the Kingmaker Artbook

So what do we know about Pathfinder: Wrath of The Righteous, the Computer Game?

The Overall Game:

* Wrath will be based off the same First Edition rules as Kingmaker, This will include Mythic Rules, though they seem to have been reworked a bit.
* The game will be on an Updated version of the Unity Engine, and Owlcat has cleared up a lot of technical debt, so it should be easier to program, with less bugs. It is my understanding that this new ease of programming should help carry over to the modding scene.
* No release Date has been Disclosed, but it seems likely that it's not coming out until 2020, at least.

The Source Material:

Wrath of the Righteous is an Adventure Path where the central Premise is that a Demon Lord is slowly invading the World of Golarion (the same world as Kingmaker) and is trying to make Golarion part of their Realm in the Abyss. Several Crusades have been launched to stop this, they all failed. Now, It's your turn, and if you don't succeed this time? The world is doomed. To Succeed, you need to lead a Crusade, murder a Demon Lord, and Close the Portal to the Abyss. Something happens early on, that gives you "Mythic Power" a Power way beyond that of your standard adventurer that lets you "Break the rules" of normal Pathfinder in specific fun ways. Of course, you aren't the only one with Mythic Power. Your Enemies have it too.

The Hook:

There are a couple of Possible Hooks for Wrath. The First and most obvious is Mythic Power. Mythic Power is a system with very loud Proponents and detractors in Tabletop, but the main gripe with it is that it's hard for a GM to balance properly, and it's really hard to run on tabletop. Neither should be an issue for a Computer RPG where the program manages your problems.

The second Possible Hook is Mass Combat. Mass Combat Appears in a total of 3 APs. It was Introduced in Kingmaker, It shows up in Wrath, and it shows up in Ironfang Invasion. Given that Mass Combat was one of the Goals that Owlcat Wanted to reach with Kingmaker? I'd lay good money down that we'll be seeing Mass Combat in Wrath.

Finally, Since the underlying engine is the same (if updated), it seems likely that we'll be seeing more of the Kingdom Building system. In Wrath you need to lead a Crusade. It probably wouldn't take all that much effort to adapt the kingdom management system to a "Crusade Management System."

As yet only Mythic Power has been confirmed. It seems to have been Adapted by Owlcat similarly to the Skill System in Kingmaker.

* "The Mythic] system will let you pick from several different Mythics, including a mischievous trickster, an immortal Lich, a celestial angel, and others."
* When Questioned devs said that they had reworked the Mythic system so that it was more powerful. Both why and how are unknown at this time.

The Mechanics:

The Game should play very similarly to Kingmaker, and will likely be Real Time With Pause unless something major happened that convinced the Owlcats that they should change the entire underlying system for their extremely well-selling game based on some vocal detractors.

* We're getting the Kingmaker classes, plus Witch and Oracle. "There will be new ones beyond those that appeared in Kingmaker, and there’s also going to be a new race and new archetypes to play with."
*There is a Mongrelman on the Key Art. Mongrelmen are a Friendly monster race in Wrath, so this may be a case like Goblins in Kingmaker, where you can have a Mongrelman companion but cannot be a mongrelman.

The Characters:

* Seelah, the Iconic Paladin, is a Companion as per the key Art revealed in the reveal campaign, and confirmed by Devs. She will be "The only Iconic in the party."
* There is a White Haired Gnome on the Box Art. She may or may not be a companion.
*The angel man on the revealed art is The Player Character.
* There is What looks like a Bleachling Gnome Hellknight on the Revealed art. He is a Companion. His name has been (jokingly) revealed as "Stabby McStabface". This is likely an alias.
* The Succubus Arueshalae is on the Revealed art. It is unknown as to what role she will play, but only Companions were on the Kingmaker Reveal art, so she is likely a Companion. In Tabletop, she was explicitly Romanceable, so she is likely a romance option.
* There is a Mongrelman on the reveal art. This is Lann, an important NPC from the first book of Wrath.
*Irabeth Tirabade and her wife Annevia are confirmed to be in the game. It is unknown in what capacity.
* Wrath has an Extremely large Cast of friendly NPC characters. It is likely that some of these will become Companions, and that some will get cut. We're probably also getting some Original companions.
*Characters from Kingmaker will make an appearance. No Word on what characters, or who, or how, or why.

Miscellaneous stuff:
*Alexander Mishulin, Owlcat's Creative Director, promised fewer bugs on release. He mentioned new Narrative Tools. These were revealed on Discord as being "Etudes" Instead of on/off variables in the narrative tree, Etudes apparently offer multi-set variables. This allows more freedom to make complicated choices without creating a terrifying tangle of code. Not being a Programmer, that's all I got out of the explanation.
* "Players of the original adventure path will encounter a lot of familiar faces and encounters, but [there] also will be new characters, twists, and stories"
*The game will be Darker in Visual Style and Tone.
* Chris Avellone is back on board lending a hand and supporting the narrative team as he did with Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
* Owlcat is working to make the game more User-Friendly for Players unfamiliar with the Pathfinder System.

Great post, purple. So much info I wasnt aware of.

So it seems we will be saving the world once again. Suppose that if you put work in multiple year project, you want it to have properly epic proportions. Must be something like that, why we dont get more personal and believable stories in video games. Well, lets hope its properly dark with some unexpected twists, at least :).

I suppose that Kickstarter makes sense and should help them with cashflow during development. I didnt support any game for years now as Im only paying for released games by principle. Here I would make exception. My God, I hope they dont go for release as Epic exclusive, I managed to avoid that crap thing so far.

Kingdom … ahem … crusade management :). I didnt have problem with management system in Kingmaker, unlike some other people. I suppose with experience Owlcat gathered from Kingmaker development, this has potential to be great and gamechanging feature in the new game. On the other hand I can also imagine, without hard feelings, they might avoid management system at all, this time and focus the effort to other aspects of game.

Release in 2020 would be super early and pleasant surprise for me. I just hope they learned their lesson and can manage much smoother release with less (much less) bugs.

I would have liked a more down to earth Adventute Path but that's just nitpicking.

I don't think there's a chance of a 2020 release.

Don't know anything about Wrath of the Righteous, but just the fact another Pathfinder game is coming from Owlcat is great news. Kingmaker was probably the best RPG of the last 15 years. And that's coming from someone who doesn't even like RTwP.

I would have liked a more down to earth Adventute Path but that's just nitpicking.

I don't think there's a chance of a 2020 release.

Here's that post from Codex regarding German preview (maybe you can translate it for us?)

Since I know most of you are secretly German here a preview
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/pat...rpgs-2018-besser-machen-soll,3352018.html#top
That artwork looks great.
Release in 2020 apperantly
Sounds like they are going for a much darker story and atmosphere
Classes now affect dialogue and story
Witch and Oracle confirmed
3 Mythical Paths: Lich, Angel and trickster

Here's that post from Codex regarding German preview (maybe you can translate it for us?)
I've read the preview yesterday but there isn't any actual info on realease date. It's only mentioned at the very end:
Sollten die Entwickler all diese Bedenken noch entkräften können, dann blüht uns 2020 oder später ein wahres Rollenspiel-Schwergewicht, dass sich wohl auch vor einem Baldur's Gate 3 nicht verstecken muss.
translates to
Should developers be able to dispel all these concerns, then in 2020 or later, we'll see a real role-playing heavyweight that does not have to hide from a Baldur's Gate 3.
(Actually translated by Google. ;) )
The concerns don't refer to a schedule but to the strategic element of the game (like kingdom management in Kingmaker).

In the side bar there's a 2020 release date, again without any source.

I can't find any mention of a source from Owlcat or any other official side.

I've read the preview yesterday but there isn't any actual info on realease date. It's only mentioned at the very end:
translates to(Actually translated by Google. ;) )
The concerns don't refer to a schedule but about the strategic element of the game (like kingdom management in Kingmaker).

In the side bar there's a 2020 release date, again without any source.

I can't find any mention of a source from Owlcat or any other official side.

Oh. Wonder where that Codexer's got 2020 release date then :(

More info I found on reddit:

Wanted to put together all the bits read on reddit, discord and Twitter until now, but at the phone now so I'll be light on links, will edit later. Fell free to add!

the game has already 1 year of development (discord)

Chris Avellone is in (and his pnp module for kingmaker kickstarter is in the editing process at paizo, coming soon)

too early to say if any 2e mechanic will be in the game, maybe https://twitter.com/OwlcatGames/status/1202257783221080064?s=19

plot has been arranged so evil playthroughs are doable (or at least better than pnp) (Mark Moreland on reddit)

mythic rules are adapted and not the same as pnp, the snippet about it on pcgamer.com is accurate (Mark Moreland on reddit)

Owlcat has secured funds for development from some investors (personally still hoping for a kickstarter)

I guess they just adopted it from the side bar at the gamestar article.

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. Don't really care for Demons and alternate planes. One of the main reasons I couldn't stick with Oblivion. Gate after gate of fighting demons.

Having said that I don't even know how it will be implemented or presented so I'll reserve judgement until I see more.

Maybe after I finally get to playing Kingmaker I'll at least be excited about gameplay mechanics.

Ehhhm, isn't dark souls one of your favorite games ? :-/

I've seen 2020 thrown around too (on Reddit and official forum). Someone even wrote Summer 2020. I have no idea what is their source for it.

Presumably based on the six-part PnP adventure path? Looks like the final adventure in the series is for 18th-level characters. Will it support epic-level characters, I wonder?

Pathfinder doesn't have epic levels. Mythic replace them, but it doesn't follow the same progression as normal leveling and isn't restricted to higher levels.

Back
Top Bottom