Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Blends Role-Playing, City Management
I first saw Pathfinder: Kingmaker at GDC earlier this year, and I generally liked what I saw. The game seemed like a modern take on retro RPGs like Baldur’s Gate, where you recruit a party of adventurers, explore a big fantasy world, and tackle a complex political narrative. The game’s big differentiator — creating and managing your own kingdom — seemed more like icing on the cake. But now that I’ve had a chance to see it firsthand, ruling your realm in Kingmaker is a vital, and potentially perilous, part of the experience.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker – PAX West 2018 Impressions
Few games are as beloved as the Baldur’s Gate series. The sheer storytelling the game invoked is thought to be by some as near-legendary status. Many games have attempted to follow in its footsteps, only to be left in the shadow of the juggernaut. Well, times change, and there’s a new upstart challenger coming armed to the teeth. Pathfinder: Kingmaker follows in the footsteps of its predecessor, using the more modern and increasingly popular Pathfinder RPG ruleset that many pen-and-paper tabletop players are familiar with. Thankfully for myself, I had a chance to sit down and watch an extended demonstration of the game at PAX West.
Build Your Own Kingdom and Rule it Like a Jerk in Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Pathfinder: Kingmaker by Owlcat Games emphasizes exploring and battling monsters as much as any RPG, but players are also expected to put down roots by building a kingdom of their very own. How you build the kingdom, how you run it, and how your citizens react to your civic rule has an impact on the player bonuses you receive. Your engineering can even affect how your city looks, and the inhabitants it attracts.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker Update #58
Release is mere weeks away! Can you believe it? It feels like yesterday how we were sitting here, watching the crowdfunding progress in awe, hoping to get a chance to create the game we've all been dreaming about and then our community smashed one stretchgoal after another! We can't thank you enough for your support!
The Growth of Snapshot Games
Over the few updates we've had a lot to show on the game development side. With so much to go through, we haven't been keeping up with introducing you to the new members of the Snapshot Team. Snapshot Games has been continuing to grow over the last couple of months with many new members - and there are still more to come.
How Larian revised Divinity: Original Sin 2’s final act
Divinity: Original Sin 2 might be an exceptional RPG—not to mention PC Gamer’s 2017 game of the year—but after its launch last year, Larian Studios still thought it had room for improvement. With a console release on the cards, the developer set about working on Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition.
Star Wars: The Old Republic Fall Roadmap 2018
This Roadmap introduces the next major storyline as well as exciting new gameplay, guild-focused improvements and more coming this Fall in Star Wars: The Old Republic!

So it's Sunday not much news but here you go.

Underworld Ascendant Paul Neurath Interview
Paul Neurath might be considered the grandfather of the immersive sim. He was lead designer on Ultima Underworld, often regarded as the original immersive sim, back when Looking Glass was still known as Blue Sky Productions. As head of Looking Glass Studios, Neurath oversaw development of System Shock and pioneered the stealth genre with the Thief series.
Hand of Fate 2 Patch v1.6.0 Released
Big changes are coming to Hand of Fate 2's combat next week! This update is designed to empower players of all skill levels, whether they're fresh to the Game of Life and Death or tyrant-toppling champions.

Disco Elysium Previews

Ars Technica
Every major gameplay face-off, from full-blown melee to staring matches against yourself in a mirror, hinges on dialogue-tree options. The kicker is that, in many cases, failing is so delightful, so darkly humorous, that you just have to go for it—and the story often keeps going, as opposed to halting and punishing you for failed rolls. An example: in one run-through, I decided to attempt a "stealth" getaway while chatting with a hotel clerk, in spite of my stealth stat being the pits. The result of my failed roll was that I bounded away while loudly cackling and giving the clerk two highly raised middle fingers—and the action on screen unfolded in kind, with my cel-shaded polygonal character bounding over high-res, hand-drawn artwork of the hotel lobby in question. And the game just… kept going.
Destructoid
Playing a different build in Disco Elysium will provide an entirely different gameplay experience, and the programmer told me they're basically writing three completely different games based on how the character is developed. A full run through the game should take somewhere around 20-25 hours to complete. No release date has been announced yet, and no systems other than PC have been confirmed.
COGconnected
Right now that game is missing some voice lines and needs some polishing, but it’s in its last ten percent of development, and it’s clear that they’re close to the finish line. The story is where the devs promised me that they’re using their last months with the game to push the content, and I look forward to seeing some of the rough edges smoothed out. I played about forty-five minutes of the demo, and the entire situation with the strange voice in the protagonist’s head that talked a lot about primal feelings and wanting to sleep (me too, I tell the lizard-voice: I also want to sleep), as well as the connection to disco powers, were unexplained. Once the game is released, however, that connection will likely come along along. My mustachioed protagonist and I had only scratched the tip of the surface by the time I finished the demo, leaving behind a union on strike and kids throwing rocks at a corpse.

How Fortnite's cube is inspiring Anthem's post-launch plans
Fortnite doesn't even need a story. A multiplayer battle royale game only needs people to play it, but when the closure of a time rift in the sky summoned a massive purple cube that’s been rolling over the map, burning runes into the ground and leaving behind low-gravity bubbles, the innumerable Reddit threads and YouTube videos promoted more discussion than any videogame story since Mass Effect 3’s contentious ending.
BioWare responds again regarding the future of Dragon Age and Mass Effect
Anthem is still causing image problems for BioWare. Each time we see more of the game, debate swirls around the studio's departure from single-player storytelling, for which it is so well known, into cooperative multiplayer action games.

No romances, no (NPC) companions to accompany you on your missions, no ultimate control over the fate of the world? What happened to the BioWare formula we know and love? What happened to Dragon Age and Mass Effect? Will the studio ever be the same again?

They're questions BioWare has tried to answer already, but evidently the messaging hasn't been convincing enough. It's why BioWare general manager Casey Hudson felt the need to assure fans again Anthem will not permanently rewire the studio and its output.

Now is the Perfect Time to Get Into 'Divinity: Original Sin 2
One year ago Larian released Divinity: Original Sin 2, the sequel to their 2014 hit title once again kick-started by fans of the genre. To say it was great doesn’t do it justice, not only did Original Sin 2 beat out its predecessor, it’s likely one of the best RPGs ever made, with a bigger story, better combat, and an amazing list of new features that elevate it above other titles. Not content to rest on their laurels, Larian have once again updated their game with an Enhanced Edition and, for anyone that missed it the first time around, now is absolutely when you should be getting yourself into Original Sin.
Fallout 76' - the Spookiest Fallout Yet Thanks to West Virginia Folklore
Every Fallout game boasts an impressive bestiary of radioactive monsters from a given location’s ecosystem, environment, and lore. Nobody can even think of Fallout 3 and 4 without an intense Deathclaw battle rattling their memory. If there are two things that West Virginia has that make it the perfect location for Fallout 76, it’s “nuclear secrets” and folklore.

Going off of what we know from the extensive gameplay footage shown at E3, I’ve compiled a list of the four most interesting Fallout 76 creatures and the possible West Virginia lore that inspired their creepy designs.
Don't Let Dragon Quest XI Slip Through the Cracks
I admit there's only so much evangelizing I can do about Dragon Quest XI. Square Enix's decision not to bring the Nintendo 3DS version of the game to the West is a big downer. Worse is having no word on the Nintendo Switch release that's supposedly coming out sometime before the stars fall from the sky. The world's understandably gone Switch-crazy, and I've heard from a number of people who are passing over the PlayStation 4 / PC release in favor of waiting for the Nintendo Switch port—regardless of however long it takes to arrive. As someone who has to divide up her TV time with a husband who watches a mighty butt-load of WWE every week, I understand the compulsion to wait for Dragon Quest XI to go handheld.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Conquers PAX West 2018
The world is standard fantasy fare (the way Pathfinder often is) and at first glance the world looks like any number of fictional places with the standard amount of spiders, dragons, and wizards. What makes Pathfinder: Kingmaker special is that the game feels like a tabletop come to life, not just in design, but the breadth of possibilities at the player’s fingertips. It comes out on PC on September 25th, and I personally can’t wait to fill out that virtual character sheet.

Almost forgot about this one.:)

Bethesda's Pete Hines on Fallout 76, next-gen and The Elder Scrolls 6
Bethesda Softworks continues its march as one of the most bankable video game companies on the planet. The Washington-based publisher has cultivated a passionate following with RPGs both post-apocalyptic and medieval fantasy in Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. With fast-paced, furiously named shooters like Doom, Rage and Wolfenstein.

The company has had a significant period of growth to put them at the top table. At an E3 press conference earlier this year, they announced a slew of games, including the eagerly anticipated The Elder Scrolls VI and new sci-fi adventure Starfield. This in addition to an already impressive slate, including the online multiplayer Fallout 76.

The host of that conference was Pete Hines, Vice President of PR and Marketing. We spoke to Hines about all things Bethesda, including why they decided to announce The Elder Scrolls VI so far in advance, his thoughts on the next generation of consoles and why Bethesda probably won't be opening a studio in the UK any time soon…

Garden Paws: A New Multiplayer RPG Now on Kickstarter

Garden Paws is a multiplayer RPG stimulation game that has the player building up a farm that they have inherited from their grandparents. In addition to a farm, the player is also in charge of managing a shop, which they require the help of a local construction shop to get up and running. The game allows the player to build up their very own town with the assistance of Mayor Wilson, and it does this through a whole slew of activities. The main point of the activities is to collect coins in order to build up the town and ensure that it prospers.

Sounds very much to me like a description of Stardew Valley.

BeamDog September 07th Livestream Recap
During last week’s livestream Beamdog Producer Luke Rideout and Marketing & PR Manager Lee Guille shared the latest studio news and updates on the Dice, Camera, Action! Portrait & Voice pack, Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, and Infinity Engine games.
Call of Cthulhu Gameplay Livestream
Focus Home and Cyanide's RPG Call of Cthulhu is currently slated for an October 30, 2018 release. The developers decided to give a look at its opening.
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Rock, Paper, Shotgun preview
Sorry no quote as the layout is in mission form, and makes no sense
Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Spotlight #4 - Music

Be sure to participate in our Wishlist Initiative! Wishlist the game on Steam, GOG, and Humble Bundle to lower the game's price and unlock free in-game extras! Follow the links below!
Final Fantasy is 30, Let's rank the 10 best games
Thirty years provides an awful lot of history to mine and a truly ridiculous number of games. Since the original Final Fantasy made its debut in Japan on December 18, 1987 the series has seen fifteen main numbered titles, three films, and a ridiculous number of spin-off games including a few discrete series’ including Crystal Chronicles, Tactics, Chocobo’s Dungeon and franchises built around specific entries or characters.

But which is the best? Well, you know… it’s complicated. Obviously whatever I write here is going to come in for criticism, but screw it: I got my start writing about video games as a teenager by setting up a Final Fantasy fan site, so like any good fan I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this.
Legends of Ellaria Version 0.5.41.0(Beta) - RPG Leveling System
Dear Legends of Ellaria players,

We're excited to announce a NEW closed-beta with the beginning of the much awaited RPG system!

We decided to release an early beta to really get your feedback from the beginning of the system, and to really give you an opportunity to be part of the game by testing and giving us your input on what you would like to see in this new phase of LoE.

We're also working behind the scenes on overhauling the whole UI design of the game, and we hope it will be to your liking :)

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey The first few hours
Of what we saw, Odyssey doesn’t have the jaw-dropping visual splendour of Origins, mostly because it wasn’t first out the gate to dazzle gamers with a dramatic contrast of pyramids, vast desert expanses and elegant cityscapes. However, Odyssey offers a far more cohesive and emotionally satisfying overall experience, from the story to the gameplay mechanics. You very quickly become invested in the fate of its characters and thrill at your expanding capabilities (and rapidly-changing hero’s wardrobe).
Narrative Director Mel MacCoubrey Discusses Choice in Odyssey
Assassin’s Creed games are known as much for their story as they are for their gameplay, with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey showing no indication of breaking that tradition. Hardcore Gamer sat down with Narrative Director Mel MacCoubrey to discuss some of what players can expect in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and how the changes such as playable character options and dialog trees that carry real consequences can impact that gaming experience. She also pointed out that Trojan contraceptives are not historically accurate, hence they will not appear as loot items in game.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey will feature two gameplay modes
Going into more details, in Guided Mode markers will be displayed at all times and quest objectives will be given to players automatically. On the other hand, in Exploration Mode, the player will have to investigate the world to uncover targets and quest objectives.

The exploration mode sounds interesting however it remains to be seen whether Ubisoft will provide some hints via its dialogue system about the location of the objectives or not. After all, we’ve seen numerous RPGs in which players have to aimlessly wander around in order to find – by mere luck – a quest objective. So yeah, if that’s the case here – and since Odyssey will feature a pretty big map – I think I’ll stick with the Guided Mode.

I say avoid dragon quest xi at all cost until the publisher is willing to spend $10 to fix the stupid keyboard layout. What a load of crap sega.

I agree with you and many Japanese publisher can't be asked to do proper PC port. However, this is where a proper gaming keyboard helps as you can do the mapping at the keyboard level and not in the game.

I agree with you and many Japanese publisher can't be asked to do proper PC port. However, this is where a proper gaming keyboard helps as you can do the mapping at the keyboard level and not in the game.
Yep seems to be a huge problem with JRPG ports lately.

One of the same replies I always get on forums is buy a controller.
You've put this on my radar. Thanks!
It's a game with potential but development is slow since it was funded. They are trying to combine a RPG with an RTS game like the Spellforce games only better.

Last edited:
Sheesh, I thought that said Legends of Elvira at first... now that would have been awesome! (I wonder if she would be up to some voice acting?)

Music of Bards Tail is sounding extremely good - it may give The Witcher some serious competition on that front.

Last Remnant Remastered Announced for PS4 Only.

LOS ANGELES, CA (Sept. 11, 2018) – SQUARE ENIX® today announced that THE LAST REMNANT™ Remastered will arrive on PlayStation® for the first time this December, now fully remastered for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

Originally released in 2008, THE LAST REMNANT captured the hearts and minds of gamers with its enthralling story, countless characters and intricate battle system. THE LAST REMNANT Remastered features beautifully enhanced graphics enabled by Unreal®Engine 4, allowing for a more immersive and captivating adventure than ever before.

THE LAST REMNANT Remastered tells the story of a world filled with “Remnants” — ancient artefacts that grant mysterious power to their wielders, changing the world’s balance and leading to an era of countless frays between those who ruled, and those who obeyed. Within this war-torn fantasy world, players will follow the journey of a young man who is determined to uncover the truth.

THE LAST REMNANT Remastered will be available digitally via the PlayStation®Network for $19.99. This title is rated M (Mature). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.
Remember it was taken off Steam.

Torchlight Frontiers PAX West Gameplay Livestream

Join Tyler (Echtra's Product Lead) and Jared (Perfect World's Community Manager) as they feature the Gamescom / PAX West demo of Torchlight Frontiers!
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Official Paizo Preview
In just two weeks, the first single-player isometric CRPG using the rules and world of Pathfinder will be released—Owlcat Games' Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It's been a long time coming, and we couldn't be more excited for the world at large to get to experience it!

One of the greatest challenges of adapting an adventure path like Kingmaker—which came out way back in the spring of 2009—into a new medium is balancing faithfulness to the source material with the creation of enough new content to entertain players and GMs who played or ran the campaign in the last decade. Kingmaker, by far the Pathfinder Adventure Path with the most open, sandboxy feel, left the writers at Owlcat (led by industry veteran Chris Avellone, of Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords fame) with plenty of room to add their own content while still including all the now-iconic encounters and story elements that made the pen-and-paper campaign such a classic.

An all-new introduction to thecampaign, set in the manor house of Swordlord Jamandi Aldori, serves not only as a tutorial for new players, but also gives context to the player's mission (something the original campaign left to the GM) and introduces some of the myriad characters who will play large roles in the ongoing campaign, gaining both her most loyal companion and a hated rival.

Apeiron's Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic Videos.

10 Details You May Have Missed From Cyberpunk 2077's Gameplay Reveal

After seeing this gameplay initially at E3, I'm so excited to have my hands on all of it to break down bit by bit. I hope you take something away from this video and be sure to submit more info into the comments so we can take away as much as possible from this!
Larian is going to 'make new stuff' now that Original Sin 2 is updated.
“We’ve already put a lot of effort into improving what’s there. People forget that these are three-year endeavours for us, and when you think about your lifecycle, you start counting how many you can make. It’s not that many. That’s why we need to move on and make new stuff.”
HellSign Paranormal RPG Starts Early Access November 7th

HellSign is an investigative action RPG that pits you against the horrors of the afterlife, let loose on a small town. As a hunter, you’ll plan, hunt, and kill to pay the bills and get revenge on the monster that butchered your family. Just remember - a smart hunter is always prepared.
Mike Gamble Says Andromeda Never Had A Good Foundation For DLC
Not too long ago at PAX West, team members from BioWare held a panel where journalists and other media outlets could ask them questions about a myriad of things. One of the queries happened to surround that of Mass Effect: Andromeda and its DLC, to which the producer of that game and Anthem, Mike Gamble, said “Mass Effect: Andromeda never had a good foundation to support long-term plans.”
Elder Scrolls: Blades running on iPhone XS MAX

Hard to believe that mobile games have come so far. Gameplay demo at Apple iPhone Event September 2018
Queen's Wish Update #8
Here is the second monthly update for Queen’s Wish development! It’s been a productive month, and the game is taking shape more and more.

As the game takes shape, one thing is becoming clear: This game will be unique. It is not your standard RPG fare. Far from it. Will you love it? I hope so. But I really think it will be something that feels different.

Right now, work on the game is split into thirds: Engine, Data, and Content.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Patch 3.6.29.3822 - Crash fix and Editor update
Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you to everyone who has given feedback and notified us of any in-game issues.

Since the release of the Divinity Engine 2, we've noticed some problems with the editor that requires an update of both the game and our mod creation tool.

The update to the game fixes the following:

• A crash related to launching and immediately joining a game
  • Issues with four active characters in arena combat
  • Issues with using waypoints and texture streaming
  • Adventures without Origin characters are now supported
  • Stability improvements for custom models and levels

Back
Top Bottom