Which game got you into CRPGs?

I guess I should answer my own question :)

For me, I'm not sure if it was The Fairy Tale Adventure (Amiga version) or Bard's Tale - as I played both around the same time.

I loved both of them to death - and I never looked back in terms of favorite genre.

While I liked playing crpgs of all kind the first crpg title I felt in love with was Fallout2.
Not saying previous games sucked, almost all were good, some were great, hell I can't remember how many times I played through Betrayal at Krondor which is one brilliant game for example.
But FO2 got me completely obsessed with.

While I liked playing crpgs of all kind the first crpg title I felt in love with was Fallout2.
Not saying previous games sucked, almost all were good, some were great, hell I can't remember how many times I played through Betrayal at Krondor which is one brilliant game for example.
But FO2 got me completely obsessed with.

Fallout 2 was a great game, I agree.

Oh, and by the way - I also really liked Soulbringer and completed it with a friend back in the day ;)

It was two cRPG games for the Commodore 64 that I had rented from a mail order business in the mid-west - Dragon Wars and Pool of Radiance. Both were brilliant and got me hooked on the genre. I played them consecutively though I only had a week to play both before I had to return them so what I had to do was copy them using C64 nibbller software, and then I used my local library's copiers to copy the manuals and game protection wheel. It worked out well and I could take my time and finish both games (I'd say it took me about a month). The year was 1989.

It was two cRPG games for the Commodore 64 that I had rented from a mail order business in the mid-west - Dragon Wars and Pool of Radiance. Both were brilliant and got me hooked on the genre. I played them consecutively though I only had a week to play both before I had to return them so what I had to do was copy them using C64 nibbller software, and then I used my local library's copiers to copy the manuals and game protection wheel. It worked out well and I could take my time and finish both games (I'd say it took me about a month). The year was 1989.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of both. Pool of Radiance is among my favorite CRPGs of all time.

In fact, if I had to name a single CRPG that meant the most to me, it would probably be PoR.

For me, I'm not sure if it was The Fairy Tale Adventure (Amiga version) or Bard's Tale - as I played both around the same time.

I loved both of them to death - and I never looked back in terms of favorite genre.
Not sure if you're baiting me :p

Maybe you can answer some questions for me?

Make haste but take...
Wing forth in...
Scorn murderous...
Hold fast to your...
Defy ye that....
In black darker than....

I certainly loved Faery Tale, far more than I did Bards Tale. Mostly because I couldn't get anywhere in Bards Tale and the lost progress was too frustrating.

But it was definitely Curse of the Azure Bonds that got me into RPGs. That was the first AD&D game I got and it was unlike anything I'd ever played. I still think it's one of the best RPGS ever.

Baldur's Gate and Fallout before that I was a console only gamer.:)

Wasn't a big fan of Fallout 2 though I consider the first one seminal in solidifying my enjoyment of the genre.

My first CRPG was Ishar (not a really good game), but it's Fallout or maybe Baldur's Gate that made me fall in love with the genre.

Zork got me into pc gaming and lead me to check out wizardry 1 and I was hooked.

Haven’t been able to get the rpg hooks out of me since and don’t really care to.:)

In the 90's i mostly played fps like half life and descent and strategy like command and conquer or starcraft. In the 80's i played hack.
-
Around 2003 or so my sister sent me a box with games I think the first one I played was icewind dale followed by might and magic something 5? 6? maybe 7? Then i purchased wiz 8 followed by divine divinity.
-
so one of those games got me into crpg but to be honest none of them have been as good as the first few i played. These days the games have too much omph and not enough pixie dust.

For me it was Eye of the Beholder and Realms of Arkania 1 at the age of about 12-14.

Before that I came across some RPGs on the C64 but I didn't understand them.

That's a hard question, because it was kind of a slow exposure before I became a genuine fan. It started with tabletop RPGs (D&D), and because I was also into computers at the time (ZX81, TRS-80, Vic 20, C64...) there was the odd RPG, or game that had RPG-ish elements, that caught my interest without making me a fan as such.
My first CRPG was some LOTR ASCII roguelike. I'm pretty sure it was Moria, and we played it on the TRS-80.
The first one to blow my socks off and make me a genuine fan of the genre was probably Ultima IV, which I played on the C64.

What go me into RPG's was reading an article about the game Alternate Reality for C64. Coming from simple platform and arcade games the concept of an RPG was amazing to me.

From what i recall I actually never got around playing it, not sure if it ever came out or if i couldn't find it. What i did eventually find was Bard's Tale which i really liked and later The Faery Tale Adventure and Hunter (on Amiga) these two games influenced me greatly, really liked the open world feel of those games.

Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord was the first for me, followed by the second game, then the third, and eventually the Ultima games. By then I was completely hooked for life!!

My first RPG (actually aRPG) was the C64 version of BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception but it didn't quite hook me. I ran into a game-breaking bug near the end because the game allowed you to go places you shouldn't have been able to go yet, I think. It was okay overall, but it was a couple of weeks later when I rented the aforementioned two games discussed in my previous post that I realized what the genre was capable of. I should check out the new Battletech game from the developers of Shadowrun Returns and its followups.

C64 version of Ultima 5 just blew me away. I followed that up with Bards Tale 3 and then M&M 1. After that I went back in time looking for earlier BT's and Ultimas. However, at about that time I bought my first 286 and switched from C64 to PC and the world began to open up!! :)

Back
Top Bottom