Andrzej Sapkowski Demands More Money

I think the value of it is having a world, and an IP, that people recognise and connect with. I'm much more interested in the Witcher world in the way that CDPR has conceived it. To me, it registers as "that Polish, gritty Middle Earth", and I know it's the sort of game I'm going to be in to. When you do succeed in registering in people's imagination like that, it's a very valuable thing that's probably worth pursuing.

This bit I agree. If they did another game in Witcher world, we will know what we are getting and that's huge plus for both the fans and CDPR.

What I was trying to say was that, when reading the books, there wasn't anything in them other than Geralt and friends I wanted to know more about. To me, everything in those books were revolving around Geralt and Co. However this is not the case in other lore rich IPs such as LOTR or GoT. There are so many things I want to know more about from LOTR, GoT etc.

Err…everywhere? There are literally more than a dozen different countries/provinces, plus outside the "Continent". Outside of Geralt's role, they could focus on the world and expand it tremendously ( and games could do this far better than books).
How are they related to Witcher experience? How is this any different from setting a brand new game in far away land etc? Yes we know there are other places in the Witcher world but there are not enough hooks in the current Witcher world to drawn them in. They are there as window dressing, they are not meaningful.

Magic and elves don't make the setting interesting: it's how you use different narrative themes in it's context. ( I mean Skyrim is high fantasy and what does it

Yes I agree but this has nothing to do with Witcher, it could be new game/IP and just as good.

How are they related to Witcher experience? How is this any different from setting a brand new game in far away land etc? Yes we know there are other places in the Witcher world but there are not enough hooks in the current Witcher world to drawn them in. They are there as window dressing, they are not meaningful.

Because they might be meaningful to others, personal taste and all. I absolutely loved lore ( best vampire game on this, actually) and world in Toussaint...they could easily do the same for any other region: Zerrikania, Dol Blathanna, Cintra, Nilfgaard, sexy dryads from Brokilon, Haakland, etc, etc.
And they would have far more creative freedom here.
Only downside is that Cyberpunk has a lot more freedom with gameplay/mechanics, so they would have to "keep up" with their own standard.

Because they might be meaningful to others, personal taste and all.

Agree completely. I've only read the 2 first books (which are short story collections), and I loved the lore behind them. I don't see any difference with for example GoT -- Tolkien's universe is unmatched in depth, IMHO, so unfair comparison :p -- where sure, they follow a multitude of characters, but I fail to see how that makes the setting more meaningful.

I am a sucker for low fantasy settings also. :)

Honestly, the short stories are better than the full novels.

Honestly, the short stories are better than the full novels.
Yeah, Sapkowski isn't Herbert and his large stories are pretty boring.
The whole "epic" Ciri arc is never as enjoyable as the simple and short misadventures of witcher Geralt from the first books.

Back
Top Bottom