Dungeon Of Dragon Knight - Early Access in January 2019

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The first person dungeon crawler Dungeon Of Dragon Knight will be released on Steam as Early Access version this January:

Dungeon Of Dragon Knight

Dungeon of Dragon Knight is a dungeon crawler role play game, based on grid system. You will lead your team to continually discover clues, solve the puzzles that surround you, and survive in dangerous dungeon.

More information.

Not a fan of dungeon crawlers but for those who are it's a good year for them.

Its got that dungeon master look to it, could be good. Just hope its not to short.

Seems to be another real time game like Grimrock.. pass.

As a fan of blobbers in general this looked good. Possibly not as advanced as Grimrock though.

Daniel.

Not a fan of dungeon crawlers but for those who are it's a good year for them.

I am a fan of dungeon crawlers, but we've got to the point where all new dungeon crawlers look heavily like Legend of Grimrock. I'll still keep an eye on this game because, as I've stated, I am a fan and the game looks goods, but I wish things on the dungeon crawler front were going forward.

Last edited:
I don't get it. So many people have asked for a turn based version of these games yet these real time clones keep saturating the market. Does anyone listen to their target market? Sure there is a market for realtime but I suspect there is a bigger one for a proper turn based blobber? I can't play more than 20 minutes of Grimrock or Monkey Tavern without getting bored. At least there is Bard's Tale IV.

Man, same here... would love to be some more turn-based ones. The Grimrocks were ok but I prefer to not have to dance in my game during combat.

… I wish things on the dungeon crawler front were going forward.
Agree that the real time like Dungeon Master or Legend of Grimrock is not appealing me anymore.

Now simple font to front turn based will hardly be fun either. For me such combat approach needs something more than Might & Magic 1-5. There's multi fronts combats like M&M X that are quite more fun, but it's different constraints.

There's been two exceptions for which I enjoyed significantly the front to front combats, Battle Chasers: Nightwar and Planet Stronghold. The first uses very well actions time costs, and initiative list. The second is for me quite unique with a guns gameplay, but its strength isn't the rarity aspect, but just that it's well designed and it generates interesting front to front combats.

Does anyone listen to their target market? Sure there is a market for realtime but I suspect there is a bigger one for a proper turn based blobber?
I doubt the target market is higher for such turn based front to front dungeon crawling, perhaps the same, but better I don't think so.

If there's so few steam reviews for Bard's Tales IV there's a reason. Past years I have seen some ambitious Kickstater using turn based front to front fail despite looking solid projects, ambitious and with already contents.

That is I don't think there's much public for front to front combats, even less Dungeon Crawlers, turn based or real time.

Obviously it's because of LoG 1&2 that the real time is currently dominant for such dungeon crawlers and it's non sense. The only point is real time is perhaps better suited for puzzling/tricks design. But a series like Eschalon Book shown you could make turn based feeling like real time.

I certainly would prefer these types of games to be turn based, myself. I don't really get the attraction to keep making these same time of dancing around combat games, but I do suppose there must be an avid market for them. I have so many games to play now that it would simply have to be spectacular to get me interested at all, and I'm a big fan of dungeon crawlers.

I'll take Bard's Tale IV any day over this game. There is a Grimrock clone I might try however called "The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians". It is realtime with optional pause allowing you to queue up combat commands. Completely optional. Better than nothing. Game looks pretty nice to boot.

I really enjoyed Fall of the Dungeon Guardians myself. The designers did an excellent job of melding some of the best aspects from online games into a single player one. You'll likely not be disappointed.

Furiously clanking dungeon switches and lots of SIDESTEPPING! From the script:
--
You reach another room, where the Unthinkable Happens:
A Furiously Farting Faerie FrenchiseMan appears.
- What do you do? 1. ATTACK!!!!! 2. TALK

I have to agree, grid movement with real time action is a bit... tiring. In Vaporum, it was at least easier to handle, as you only controlled a single character. Plus they had the auto-pause feature when things got hairy. Does not seem like this one will work that way.

Also, why is it "Dungeon Of Dragon Knight" instead of "Dungeon of the Dragon Knight"?

Anyways, what they show looks nice, so I'll wait and see what comes out of the early access phase.

Also why don't they chose an own art style? I guess that these stock-dungeon-graphics are the easiest to do.
But I think you should at least be able to do something unique with filters. Maybe a dungeon crawler with heavy cell shading like the game "13"?

Back
Top Bottom