Tell me about Mount & Blade

even though it might cost you a few extra dollars i would highly recommend getting warband over just the original. it adds so much to the game (some of which mods may have done) not including the touted multiplayer, which for me was of little interest.

All it needs is an overarching and well-told story (playable at will) - and it would be fantastic.

Think of it as a modern day (proper) Pirates - only with horses instead of ships.

I think of it as Elite with Swords, but Pirates is also a decent analogy.

Can you recommend any mods for Mount & Blade / Warband ?

Like I said, I've only played with the original, I don't have Warband (however some mods have been converted to Warband, so they might be even better on there)

If you like the game but just want some different units to play with then the Hundred Years War is quite good. It's about England versus France...

If you want many, many, many new features then the Sword of Damocles Mod is amazing. I'm not sure what version they're on now, but I suggest taking the most stable one they have at the moment and not go with the betas as they are prone to bugs and CTDs. This mod is supposed to be played with the difficulty set at least at 100% (of course you don't have to, but that's what they say). This mod introduces religion, new buildings, new units, new items, new quests, a whole diplomacy system, kingdom management (the whole point is to make your own kingdom, so if you don't want this then don't get this one)., etc.
It completely changes the game experience and I believe makes the game much better. I would buy the mod if it was the game ...

The Chronicles of Talera mod is quite good too. New world, new units and some other additions, one important one is faction specific 'abilities'. Like SoD, 100% difficulty at least is recommended. (this is for most mods actually)

The Prophesy of Pendor is another really well-developed mod. It has many new features too. It's actually the units I think that I liked in this game.

And the last one, but certainly not least: The Last Days is a Lord of the Rings mod. It's not out on the new version yet, but even the old version was amazing, the modders who are/were responsible for this mod were the first one I think or some of the first ones to realize a lot of these kinds of features. If you like LotR I guess it's a must. If you want a go, the forum I linked to has the old version of M&B for you to download and you can just put it in a different folder than the newer version and then you can play both if you really want.

All these mods could give you over 500 hours of playtime I think, so enjoy...

Also, I actually never finished a game, so I don't know how long it would take, but I'm not very good. I just love the game.
Hope this helps.

I'm glad to see this thread. I have been thinking about picking this game for the longest time but never have. I do have a couple of questions. First of all, about the mods. Can you only use one mod at a time? I would think so since a lot of them affect the actual gameplay system. Second question is the npc's. I played the demo a long time ago, and the thing i noticed was the lack of npc's in the villages. The rooms were empty. Has that changed? Thanks.

- Mods : It depends, the major overhauls can usually not be mixed... You can however add some minor changes yourself and/or add some music or sounds mods though I think.
Minor mods can usually easily be added together, of course, I would not recommend mixing mods yourself unless you know what you're doing. It could be that you would mess up your game, so if you intend on doing these things make sure you backup your game.

-NPCs: The rooms aren't empty, but don't expect much from them, they usually just have a few NPCs standing around with not much to say unless they're important (bartender, guildmaster, king, lord, companions...). The regular peasantry don't have much to say. Some mods do add more important NPCs, but they still just stand around not doing anything. They don't have any kind of AI to them like in the Gothic series for example. It does make the game less interesting in that regard. Doesn't mean I've spend countless hours playing the game though.

Back
Top Bottom