|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale I - Remaster launches on August 14

Default Bard's Tale I - Remaster launches on August 14

August 8th, 2018, 16:56
Well we know that isn't joke playing because of the controller prompts and we have no clue what sort of mods they were using


Originally Posted by joxer View Post
You were determined to pan the game since the day it got released and that's your choice, I'm not here to solve problems in your head. Feel free to spit on it till doomsday.

But for those who still didn't play TW3 and suspect it's me who skipped meds today:
loading…
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#61

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,809
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2018, 17:02
Originally Posted by you View Post
Well we know that isn't joke playing because of the controller prompts and we have no clue what sort of mods they were using
Also, he seems to have missed the minor detail that I've never claimed signs can't be effective. What I'm saying is that if you're going to complete Witcher 3 on anything but the easiest difficulty level - you're going to be roll-dodging QUITE a bit during the game. You won't even get the alternative Quen/Yrden for the first many levels.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#62

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2018, 17:47
Well I have no clue how joke played but I certianly spent a huge amount of time rolling and dodging during combat
-
On the bright side i loved hitting them on the backside after a roll… but I think that's enough on the witcher which is totally unrelated to Bard's tale 1 a game you do not plan on playing.

I'll probably start it and if i like it keep playing and if not stop

Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Also, he seems to have missed the minor detail that I've never claimed signs can't be effective. What I'm saying is that if you're going to complete Witcher 3 on anything but the easiest difficulty level - you're going to be roll-dodging QUITE a bit during the game. You won't even get the alternative Quen/Yrden for the first many levels.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#63

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,809
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2018, 17:51
Originally Posted by you View Post
Well I have no clue how joke played but I certianly spent a huge amount of time rolling and dodging during combat
-
On the bright side i loved hitting them on the backside after a roll… but I think that's enough on the witcher which is totally unrelated to Bard's tale 1 a game you do not plan on playing.

I'll probably start it and if i like it keep playing and if not stop
I don't even mind roll-dodging that much. Most action-combat systems are a little weak or prone to exploits.

I just found the concept of a "Roller CRPG" quite amusing. I honestly never heard that one before.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#64

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2018, 17:56
You guys don't know what you're talking about. This, is a REAL roller RPG and it is awesome:

loading…
--
My Backlog
http://www.backloggery.com/mattynoaa
Last edited by Nephologist; August 8th, 2018 at 17:57. Reason: fixing youtube embed
Nephologist is offline

Nephologist

Nephologist's Avatar
Sentinel

#65

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 8th, 2018, 18:08
Originally Posted by Nephologist View Post
You guys don't know what you're talking about. This, is a REAL roller RPG and it is awesome:

loading…
Haha, so there's actually a LITERAL example - cool
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#66

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 00:38
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Not to be crude, but I would rather kill myself than play 100 hours of Bard's Tale these days
I think you've forgotten how addicting the gameplay was. You think you're playing for an hour and wonder where the day went. Besides, the automap, rebalancing, save-anywhere, and updated UI should trim that down significantly… I'm guessing about 30-40 hours per game (I hope).
Vindicator is offline

Vindicator

Vindicator's Avatar
Primordial Dragon

#67

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 02:51
Addicting is the word, it's a sheer wonder that some of my earlier computers simply didn't melt down for the amount of time I had them on, playing outstanding games such as Bard's Tale, Wizardry, Ultima, and others. Nowadays I often go for the telly or a book, I don't game nearly as long as I used to.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#68

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,659
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 09:51
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
I think you've forgotten how addicting the gameplay was. You think you're playing for an hour and wonder where the day went. Besides, the automap, rebalancing, save-anywhere, and updated UI should trim that down significantly… I'm guessing about 30-40 hours per game (I hope).
Hehe, if you say so

I haven't really played it since Thief of Fate. But I have a clear memory of being exhausted with the genre by the time Dragon Wars came out
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#69

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 10:48
For a game you have zero interest in playing you sure have a lot to say about it…

Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Hehe, if you say so

I haven't really played it since Thief of Fate. But I have a clear memory of being exhausted with the genre by the time Dragon Wars came out
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#70

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,809
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 10:51
Originally Posted by you View Post
For a game you have zero interest in playing you sure have a lot to say about it…
I almost always have things to say when I'm exchanging with people who're talking to me.

As for this game, I wouldn't say my interest is zero - it's just not very high. I was curious about the changes - and I'm always curious about people.

But I've noticed you have a problem with people saying things about games you don't agree with. You always make little snide comments when something doesn't suit you. It's almost a sure thing whenever joxer says something, for instance.

Is that your way of contributing to the discussion - or are you merely annoyed?

If you're just annoyed with me and want to vent a little - that's cool. I just need to know if there's more to it.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#71

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 11:13
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
Besides, the automap, rebalancing, save-anywhere, and updated UI should trim that down significantly… I'm guessing about 30-40 hours per game (I hope).
I listened to a podcast recently about The Bard's Tale and the speakers were of the opinion that drawing complete maps yourself, also due to all the travelling back and forth for saving, was actually the most important part of gameplay. Besides the fact that you simply had to do it, it also made you actually create something in the sense that each person's hand-drawn map was a unique piece of art.

Of course nobody would want to play a game like that without automapping in this generation, but it'll be interesting to see how the remaster fares in comparison with major gameplay parts cut out.
--
"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Arhu is offline

Arhu

Arhu's Avatar
Feline Wizard
Administrator
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 2 Donor

#72

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,153
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 11:21
Do the original games contain any non-combat skills?

I was trying to remember if they did, but I've only played the NES version of BT 1, and that was 20+ years ago.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#73

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,336
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 11:59
Disagree? I don't think i've expressed an opinion. I have a problem with people attacking things they have already declared doesn't interest them. Since it doesn't interest them of course they are going to attack it. The point has already been made.

As for me I've never played this game - since it is free and some people seem to think it is fantastic I'll start it when it becomes avaiable and if i like it will continue and if not abandon it.

Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I almost always have things to say when I'm exchanging with people who're talking to me.

As for this game, I wouldn't say my interest is zero - it's just not very high. I was curious about the changes - and I'm always curious about people.

But I've noticed you have a problem with people saying things about games you don't agree with. You always make little snide comments when something doesn't suit you. It's almost a sure thing whenever joxer says something, for instance.

Is that your way of contributing to the discussion - or are you merely annoyed?

If you're just annoyed with me and want to vent a little - that's cool. I just need to know if there's more to it.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#74

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,809
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 12:06
Originally Posted by you View Post
Disagree? I don't think i've expressed an opinion. I have a problem with people attacking things they have already declared doesn't interest them. Since it doesn't interest them of course they are going to attack it. The point has already been made.
Oh, so stating an opinion that's negative is an attack to you?

Cool, I don't agree about that at all though - and I think there should be room for all kinds of opinions on a public forum dedicated to the exchange of opinions.

Also, please take care to note that people are actually talking to me - and I'm merely responding to what they're saying.

Instead of playing forum policeman, which you honestly suck at - why not just accept that we all like different things for different reasons?

That said, if you have a big problem with me responding to people about games I might not actually enjoy - I can only recommend putting me on ignore, because it will happen time and time again.

I know others have a big problem when I talk about games I really do enjoy (like Bioware games and Bethesda games) - so I'm used to that sort of thing.

I'm a vocal person and I'm a passionate person when it comes to games.

Believe it or not, some people actually appreciate that about me - though I'm sure it will feel like over-exposure here and there, since most of you don't have that much to say, really.
Darth Tagnan is offline

Darth Tagnan

Darth Tagnan's Avatar
SasqWatch

#75

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,815
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 14:00
Looking at a faq there are spells like disarm trap. Some people consider traps combat skills not sure if you do. There are also scry spells. Then again some people don't consider spells to be skills.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Do the original games contain any non-combat skills?

I was trying to remember if they did, but I've only played the NES version of BT 1, and that was 20+ years ago.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#76

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,809
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 20:04
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Of course nobody would want to play a game like that without automapping in this generation…
I'd love to play a computer role playing game reading big thick manuals, hand writing my own quest log, and drawing maps.

Of course, along with that I'd also need long summer days free from a job, family responsibilities, or really any responsibilities whatsoever.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is online now

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#77

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,710
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 20:49
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Besides the fact that you simply had to do it, it also made you actually create something in the sense that each person's hand-drawn map was a unique piece of art.
That's an interesting opinion. I guess I should start having this kind of view on all those reports I have to do at work: All pieces of art. Written by myself! Signed in the most beautiful handwriting.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#78

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 21:29
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
That's an interesting opinion. I guess I should start having this kind of view on all those reports I have to do at work: All pieces of art. Written by myself! Signed in the most beautiful handwriting.
Arhu actually makes a good point. I wrote about this once here in these forums but I can't find it… it probably didn't survive the server problems they had with this website a year or so ago. But here's the "Cliff's Notes" version:

Back in the days of gaming, before the internet, when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth and you had to exert physical energy to move your body to the store that physically sold the box that physically stored the disks with your game on it were the hallmark days when just getting your game was all part of the great adventure.

Some of the best games, like Ultima 4, have memories of a 6 mile bike ride, 2 miles up a big hill (damn you Palos Verdes, CA) and 6 miles back home. Opening the box and smelling that smell of freshly printed manuals.

Pouring over the manuals for hours and hours before ever feeling "right" to insert the disks and install the actual game (doing that in reverse order was considered a sin). Having that notepad and grid paper next to you, ready to go for the inevitable pages and pages of notes and maps.

I probably spent 3 months with Ultima 4, playing nearly everyday for a few hours at a time. No marathon gaming back then because back then we still liked to go outside, go to the beach and do other things.

To this day, I have all my notes and maps in the actual game boxes for games like Ultima, Wizardry, Bard's Tale and others. When I look at them I do get that same feeling as when I see drawings of rocket ships and space battles I drew as a kid. In that sense, they are art, to me anyway.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is online now

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#79

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,710
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 9th, 2018, 22:30
I am sure such notes or maps have value to you and many others. And this may be similar to how you value your old drawings. That would not be sufficient to call it art, from my point of view. To me, these things are keepsakes, or mementos. They derive their value from peoples recollections, not from artistic qualities. Sure, there may be items that have both aspects, and your old drawings or paintings may be an example.

Anyways, to go as far as saying that these maps were the most important part of the gameplay… Sounds to me like nostalgia tricks people into enshrining poor game design.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#80

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bard's Tale I - Remaster launches on August 14
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:41.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch