Vagrus: The Riven Realms - Announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Strategy/RPG hybrid Vagrus: The Riven Realms is currently in development by Lost Pilgrims:
Vagrus: The Riven Realms

Embark on a perilous journey across a realm forsaken by the gods and devastated by a cataclysm. Accompanied by a hardy crew, you are free to discover a dark fantasy world and its secrets. Trade, fight, or explore your way to success as a leader of a traveling company in Vagrus, a post-apocalyptic fantasy RPG-strategy hybrid developed by Lost Pilgrims.

EXPLORE A DARK CONTINENT
A vast continent is yours to explore, filled with unique locations, strange factions, lurking dangers, and a slew of characters you can interact with.

EXPERIENCE A BRANCHING NARRATIVE
A range of longer and shorter stories make up the game’s narrative in the form of events and quests. The choices you make in these affect the characters and the world around you.

ENGAGE IN TURN-BASED COMBAT
Take part in turn-based, tactical combat that involves your characters and a large variety of enemies, both humanoid and monstrous. Use a range of character skills and abilities to succeed.

MANAGE YOUR CREW
Most journeys have to be planned and prepared for carefully, lest they end in disaster. Manage your supplies, cargo, and crew effectively to survive.

ENCOUNTER A COLORFUL CAST OF CHARACTERS

The player can recruit fully-developed characters to the caravan to serve in versatile roles, such as scoutmaster, quartermaster or guard captain. Each of them comes with their own background and personal quests line.
More information.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info @Soulbane; - who is part of the Lost Pilgrims team.

Who cares about story.
I do.

Especially when I see this:
This Game may contain content not appropriate for all ages, or may not be appropriate for viewing at work: General Mature Content
If there will be no random generated dungeons and trashmobs, this game is instabuy for me.

So, is it like a choose-your-own-adventure book, with turn-based battles?

Don't think so. It's choose your own "scoutmaster, quartermaster and guard captain" because "journeys have to be planned and prepared for carefully, lest they end in disaster. Manage your supplies, cargo, and crew effectively to survive.".

Thank you so much HiddenX (and everyone else at RPGWatch) for having us here!

Let me see if I can answer some questions and comments.

Who cares about story. This might be really good if the tactical battles are well done.

We're doing our best to do justice to both. :)

If there will be no random generated dungeons and trashmobs, this game is instabuy for me.

No random dungeons or trashmobs. Randomization does play a role as far as combat encounters are concerned: you can run into all kinds of nasties out in the wasteland and sometimes it means fighting the same enemy types multiple times in an already visited area. But most of these are encountered in the form of story events and you can often avoid fights.

So, is it like a choose-your-own-adventure book, with turn-based battles?

I'd say choices in events might remind you of Fighting Fantasy gamebooks or that type of interactive storytelling but choose-your-own-adventure books specifically had no stats if I recall, while in Vagrus, a ton of stats, resources, and mechanics can influence choices in these branching stories and encounters.

If I had to give ratios, I'd say the game is:
One third campaign map and resource management - your journeys, trading, managing your crew.
One third branching text events - your encounters and stories.
One third turn-based combat - whenever you have to fight in an encounter.

Though these ratios may vary slightly for different sections of the game.

What is the expected length of game (approx) ? I.e, is it massively short (5 hours); massively long (100+ hours); decent length (45 hours); kind of short but something (20 hours) ?

All that information just given to us makes me even more confident you're going to have a serious hit on your hands, at least with folks that are serious about playing tough games with turn based combat. Thanks for the information!

What is the expected length of game (approx) ? I.e, is it massively short (5 hours); massively long (100+ hours); decent length (45 hours); kind of short but something (20 hours) ?

I would say somewhere between 45 and 100 hours, depending on playstyle (mostly on how much you like reading). The game will be open-world and you set your own win condition at the beginning (ambitions like 'I want to be famous' or 'I want to become rich' or more story-oriented ones). However, when you're done fulfilling your goal, you can stay and play to find more storylines and quests and the like and maybe even start a new ambition.

Thanks !

I would say somewhere between 45 and 100 hours, depending on playstyle (mostly on how much you like reading). The game will be open-world and you set your own win condition at the beginning (ambitions like 'I want to be famous' or 'I want to become rich' or more story-oriented ones). However, when you're done fulfilling your goal, you can stay and play to find more storylines and quests and the like and maybe even start a new ambition.

Back
Top Bottom