Elminage Original - PC Release: November 29

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The dungeon crawler Elminage ORIGINAL - Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of the Gods will be released on Steam in two days:

For all budding adventurers, the king of 3D dungeon crawler RPGs - Elminage ORIGINAL - Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of the Gods - has finally arrived on Steam.

The original 3D dungeon RPG has returned!

Create and raise your characters to defeat the monsters that lurk deep in the labyrinth-like dungeons. Its simple gameplay and sense of freedom makes you feel like you are truly inside a fantasy world.

Choose from 16 occupation including the likes of Fighter, Mage and Samurai.
With 9 races to choose from, diverse parties can be created set according to gender, age and their personality. In addition, customize the game to your liking with the graphic/sound functions.

With many events along the way, fulfill the main quest to search for the 5 rings.
Let's open the gates and head out to a new adventure.
More information.

What the hell kind of trailer is that? They have 1 chance to impress me to maybe buy the game and they don't show you a thing. I won't get the game just because of that trailer. That's some top notch marketing.

I'm already a fan of Elminage, but yeah that was a terrible trailer.

If it's $2, maybe.

Its the same trailer which they had for Elminage:Gothic, namely the first 2 minutes of the game, which seems pretty worthless to buy the game on. From what I've read the graphics and dungeons supposed to be comparable to Gothic, and if its anywhere near the price of Gothic (10 Euros, 8 Euros on release) then I'll buy it when it comes out.

I couldn't get into EG at all. I admit I didn't try for long. What makes this game interesting to you? Is it just nostalgia?

I like party based games, complex character building, and dungeon crawlers with devious hand made dungeons. Elminage ticks all of those boxes. I'm not surprised you didn't like it so much, as you are a fan of single character and open world-exploration type rpgs.

I'm a huge fan of games that simply don't hold your hands, and expect you to have a certain capability and knowledge to even cross the threshold into their realm. Then add in dungeon mechanics, turn based combat, party schematics, and I'm hooked. It may not appeal to everyone, but it gives my back some nice, deep scratchies that make me purrrrrrr.

I like party based games, complex character building, and dungeon crawlers with devious hand made dungeons. Elminage ticks all of those boxes. I'm not surprised you didn't like it so much, as you are a fan of single character and open world-exploration type rpgs.

You've pegged me for sure, but I really enjoyed Dungeons of Chaos and it has all the things you just mentioned. I guess it depends on the presentation. I should load up EG again some time and retry it. You should pickup DoC. It's cheap and sounds more up your alley than mine.

You've pegged me for sure, but I really enjoyed Dungeons of Chaos and it has all the things you just mentioned. I guess it depends on the presentation. I should load up EG again some time and retry it. You should pickup DoC. It's cheap and sounds more up your alley than mine.

I've already clocked in 22 hours and am enjoying it. I'd also say its more open worldy, and the dungeons don't quite have the complexity and deviousness of an Elminage or Wizardry game. Its much more like an old Ultima game with more complex character building and less in terms of characters and story. Still its a good tip as there aren't many bargain indy rpgs that offer an open world (The Avernum series comes to mind)

Where is Fluent? Hes usually all over the Elminage threads.

If this is even close to the same calibre that the other Elminage was, this will be a sure purchase by me.

It has a better translation so far, is easier to get into than Gothic (i.e. not as punishing, but still plenty challenging) and is 100% as good as Gothic, IMO.

That said, I've only played about 100 hours of Gothic, so I'm far from an expert. That game has hundreds more hours of game and goes very deep. And I'm only several hours into ORIGINAL so far. But it's well worth the asking price (for me.)

ORIGINAL seems like a better entry into the series for those who are interested. You can use the map at any time, i.e. it's not tied to a consumable item, and you even get a minimap which makes it much easier to find your way around. The dungeons are still loaded with traps, encounters, surprises and interesting things to find. Combat is challenging. Loot is great. Lots of ways to build a party. And after the tutorial you're free to visit many different dungeons (even if you'll die in most of them, the option is there.)

So, for me, being a big fan of Gothic and 'crawlers in general, it's great.

You can read about my adventure in the tutorial dungeon, which was a pretty thrilling and unique experience, here -

http://steamcommunity.com/app/618710/discussions/0/1488866813756930851/

I love all those things too but I just couldn't get into Gothic. I think it was the lack of a map that killed for me, one of my favorite things about exploring a huge dungeon is seeing all those blank spaces slowly filled in. Having to rely on those mapping gems to know where I am just wasn't fun for me.

I'm a huge fan of games that simply don't hold your hands, and expect you to have a certain capability and knowledge to even cross the threshold into their realm. Then add in dungeon mechanics, turn based combat, party schematics, and I'm hooked. It may not appeal to everyone, but it gives my back some nice, deep scratchies that make me purrrrrrr.

There certainly was a learning curve with the prior game, and the map needing consumables was one of those things. Honestly though, it was easily dealt with and the rest of the game was totally worth it.

Back
Top Bottom