Horizon Zero Dawn - Review @ LaptopMag - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Horizon Zero Dawn - Review @ LaptopMag

Default Horizon Zero Dawn - Review @ LaptopMag

August 14th, 2020, 15:45
If you are on PC and considering buying it on steam, just go read the top "most helpful" reviews, (for "all time" time period) they are mostly negative, and complaining about crashing, bugs, and unable to continue the game in some cases. So there does seem to be various technical issues, and that its a badly done port. This isn't a game I personally am interested in, but I do respect steam pc reviews. Maybe I'm more of a less forgiving gamer but I would not touch this game (assuming it was a game I wanted) with a ten foot pole at this stage, not until it got a whole bunch of patching.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Last edited by Arkadia7; August 14th, 2020 at 16:04.
Arkadia7 is online now

Arkadia7

Arkadia7's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#21

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific NorthWest, USA!
Posts: 1,689
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 16:17
That's not surprising, I always thumb up negative reviews for every game I didn't buy thanks to such review.

But is that really most helpful? Nah. That review didn't help me, I had no problem that needed helping with.
Steam should change it to "most popular" or "most liked" review.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#22

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,716
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 17:09
If I did not come here to read sad comments from people who are not playing the game I would not know this game has issues, and I am currently playing at it.
Last edited by Kos; August 14th, 2020 at 17:27.
Kos is offline

Kos

Watchdog

#23

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 18:03
Originally Posted by Kos View Post
If I did not come here to read sad comments from people who are not playing the game I would not know this game has issues, and I am currently playing at it.
This. Of course people having issues are going to go on Steam and make noise. The people who aren't having issues are too busy enjoying the game. Even when it's a small minority having problems, they can often be loud enough to make it seem worse.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,980
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 18:06
While that might be true that generalization is losing it's touch. I've seen that same logic portrayed on politics and other areas of discussion it's lost all meaning. A red herring.
--
"I've been told my tastes in games is shitty. Instead of getting offended I agree. As most new games are shitty. So I counter and ask you is everyone's taste shitty then?" - Old Grognard
Old Grognard is offline

Old Grognard

Old Grognard's Avatar
Jaded Old-Timer

#25

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Old America
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 18:12
Whenever a sentence starts with " While that might be true", it's usually self-contradicting.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,980
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 18:32
And the people on Steam..

Not Recommended
23.2 hrs last two weeks / 23.2 hrs on record (16.5 hrs at review time)
Playing it with a
RTX 2700 Super
16 DDR4 4000Mhz Ram
I7 9700k

And the Frame Drop from 90 FPS to 5 Fps


Brave guy, could still milk 7 hours of it with 5 FPS. I am not even mentioning the work you have to clock to make that configuration misbehaves.

Not Recommended
20.8 hrs on record (15.4 hrs at review time)

Wait for fixes.
If they fix it, I'd recommend it. Right now, play the waiting game.


Another brave guy who proposes to wait and not very good at following his own advise.

It's a PC game, a complex one. It will certainly never run on a first go on every configuration out there, moreover when most of them don't even hit the minimal specs.

I expect Cyberpunk 2077 to have that kind of feedback with the endless 'My laptop is making a lot of noise and I don't hear the voices. Bad Port!'
Kos is offline

Kos

Watchdog

#27

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 21:59
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Yes, nothing says PC gaming like Ďcrank down the settings and it will play buttery smoothí.
I'm running a computer from 2013, you want me to put everything on Ultra and go cry on the forums my game runs at -32 FPS and crashes after a few minutes?
PC gaming to me is enjoying whatever I throw at it and having fun. I could run quite a few games on Ultra some years ago, but I got to reckon it won't keep up forever.
axellslade is offline

axellslade

axellslade's Avatar
No Title Please

#28

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Osasco, Sao Paulo
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 22:16
Originally Posted by Kos View Post
Another brave guy who proposes to wait and not very good at following his own advise.
I have similarly given advice in the past. It's not advice that I am able to follow, when I am not in the same position as the people I am giving advice to: I already bought the game.

It also depends on who you imagine giving that advice to: the general public or someone with identical interests as yourself. Not recommending does not mean getting no enjoyment from the game.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#29

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,170
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 22:43
Hey, I have about 60 hours played on Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and I still don't recommend most friends to play it. That may change later this month if turn-based mode is good, I hear the game got patched repeatedly and most bugs have been cleaned out.
Nereida is offline

Nereida

Nereida's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#30

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 23:17
I would never not recommend a game based on performance unless the issues seemed to be universal for everyone. That's obviously not the case here.

The problem with giving advice based on performance issues is that the person is assuming others are going to have the same problems they're having. That's a lot to assume. You're just as likely to be cheating someone out of a good time as you are to be helping them in any way.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,980
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

August 14th, 2020, 23:23
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
Hey, I have about 60 hours played on Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and I still don't recommend most friends to play it.
I didn't recommend it to a neighbor I drank coffee with during ban on bars because - he has playstation and not PC. Whatta id… Well, can't speak badly, he's fun otherwise.

But a friend who adores BG1 and BG2? I nagged him day after day till he bought it. Made him happy.

I'm saying depends who is on the other side.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#32

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,716
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2020, 03:56
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
This. Of course people having issues are going to go on Steam and make noise. The people who aren't having issues are too busy enjoying the game. Even when it's a small minority having problems, they can often be loud enough to make it seem worse.
Every game has a small minority of people that have bugs or canít play it. Not every game has an article on every gaming site I go to about how buggy and poorly optimized it is. Even the developer admits the game has issues and promised to make fixing them their highest priority.

Obviously with the staggering amount of possible PC configurations some people wonít have any issues and others wonít be able to run it at all. Itís impossible to know how many are having issues and how many arenít but we do know enough people are having issues to gain traction in the gaming media and get the developers attention which isnít the norm.

sakichop

Guest

#33

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2020, 05:40
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Not every game has an article on every gaming site I go to about how buggy and poorly optimized it is.
And yet the game has an aggregate review score of 84%. Just a hunch, but I'm guessing for most people that would put it into recommendation range if it's a genre they like.

Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Even the developer admits the game has issues and promised to make fixing them their highest priority.
So it's just like most games then?
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#34

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,980
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2020, 06:30
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
And yet the game has an aggregate review score of 84%. Just a hunch, but I'm guessing for most people that would put it into recommendation range if it's a genre they like.



So it's just like most games then?
Ive read a small sample size of the positive reviews and even many of them recommend waiting for patches or say great game but bad port. The positive scores are a testament to the game not itís release state.

Anyway Iím not interested in a back and forth if you think itís a non issue and only affects a small minority then thatís your prerogative.

Iíll just agree to disagree.

sakichop

Guest

#35

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2020, 06:54
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Ive read a small sample size of the positive reviews and even many of them recommend waiting for patches or say great game but bad port. The positive scores are a testament to the game not itís release state.

Anyway Iím not interested in a back and forth if you think itís a non issue and only affects a small minority then thatís your prerogative.

Iíll just agree to disagree.
Cool story bro. You were interested enough though to post multiple times about a game that you've never played.

I just find that somewhat curious. In fact, the only people here who who are pushing the negative slant are all ones who have yet to actually play the game, while all the people who have played it are reporting zero issues.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#36

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,980
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2020, 09:33
Hey I reported an issue with the latest patch, and I love the game.

But yeah as I said, the issue will get patched, and the game is still playable by tweaking the settings a bit (not going through a hellish gauntlet of fine-tuning, as some people make it sound). And the pros vastly outweight the cons when you consider playing it vs not playing it, or playing it in PC vs playing it in PS4.

I finished the game in PS4, I enjoyed it a lot, but the analog stick and 30 FPS made it a lesser experience all the way through, oftentimes plain frustrating. Not even going to mention the input lag that the PS4 controller often has, which makes any gaming experience a true nightmare until you fully reset the console and the controller and hope that that will fix it for a few hours.

So, if you want to put it that way, sure, wait a few days/weeks for patches, then get it for the maximum experience. But if your rig can handle it, HZD is a great game to play right now, especially now that there isn't a lot to compete with it, and because the only negative thing anyone has to say about the game is "the graphics are not optimised". I have't heard a single negative point about the game actually being bad. Which should give people who want to play a good game something to think, because we've all put up with all kinds of crap to play games we loved because they were worth it.
Nereida is offline

Nereida

Nereida's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#37

Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 648
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 15th, 2020, 13:50
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Cool story bro. You were interested enough though to post multiple times about a game that you've never played.

I just find that somewhat curious. In fact, the only people here who who are pushing the negative slant are all ones who have yet to actually play the game, while all the people who have played it are reporting zero issues.
All the people who played it reporting zero issues? You know thatís not true.

I said Iím not interested in a back and forth. ( which would most likely consist of me saying it has issues and you saying it doesnít for 2 more pages) I didnít say I wasnít interested in posting at all.

Iím not negative about the game and will pick it up eventually. The fact of the matter is the game has issues presently that are well documented. The fact that you havenít experienced them or I havenít played the game doesnít change that.

sakichop

Guest

#38

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2020, 20:31
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
All the people who played it reporting zero issues? You know thatís not true.

I said Iím not interested in a back and forth. ( which would most likely consist of me saying it has issues and you saying it doesnít for 2 more pages) I didnít say I wasnít interested in posting at all.

Iím not negative about the game and will pick it up eventually. The fact of the matter is the game has issues presently that are well documented. The fact that you havenít experienced them or I havenít played the game doesnít change that.
You might want to read my post again, because that's not what I said.

I said "people here", as in those of us on The Watch who are playing it. With the exception of HiddenX, who's issue stems from his CPU not the game, everyone seems to be running it just fine.

I also didn't say the game didn't have any issues so I'm not sure where you get that from either. I said *I* haven't experienced any, and that I strongly suspect, like in most cases, that it's a loud minority.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#39

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,980
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

August 15th, 2020, 21:51
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You might want to read my post again, because that's not what I said.

I said "people here", as in those of us on The Watch who are playing it. With the exception of HiddenX, who's issue stems from his CPU not the game, everyone seems to be running it just fine.

I also didn't say the game didn't have any issues so I'm not sure where you get that from either. I said *I* haven't experienced any, and that I strongly suspect, like in most cases, that it's a loud minority.
I reread your post and it doesnít read like your only talking about people here in the second part of your sentence. Itís a moot point anyway as Joxer and Nereida both say thereís issues in this very thread. So its still not true even if you confine it to this thread.

You and I both know I acknowledged you said minority and at no point did I say you said it didnít have any bugs so lets no try to misdirect.

I still maintain with the amount of coverage its getting and attention from the devs its more than a vocal minority. Iím done with this line of posting though as this is the kind of going in circles I was trying to avoid. Neither one of us has anything new to add and wonít be changing our positions so again lets just agree to disagree.

sakichop

Guest

#40

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Horizon Zero Dawn - Review @ LaptopMag
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:16.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch