Witcher 3 - Coming to Next Gen - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Witcher 3 - Coming to Next Gen

Default Witcher 3 - Coming to Next Gen

September 6th, 2020, 14:47
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
No surprise there. The soundtracks have been consistently great throughout the entire series. They rank among my all-time favorites for game music, especially TW1.
I started to play the Witcher series because the main theme for TW2 made me almost cry when I heard it for the first time. Have finished all games in the series multiple times since then. I found the soundtrack for vanilla-TW3 a bit disappointing after TW2 which was my favorite game music soundtrack until Hearts of Stone came out. That melody and the children's song is just an absolute masterpiece in so many ways. I still can't believe how well the melody describes the story and you-know-who in the DLC. I have listened to the Witcher 3 concert hundreds of times and it is among my favorite classical music performances. Really looking forward to the soundtrack of Cyberpunk. It cannot be equally good (because the Witcher soundtracks are just stellar for the entire series as you say) but if it is even close, it will become my favorite sci-fi game soundtrack.

On-topic: I wish they'd add GeForce Now support for GOG games. I really rather bought directly from them but it's more tempting to buy from Steam because that promises direct support for GeForce Now. There is no way my computer will be able to run any of the AAA games these days.

PS. I am aware that you can go around the GOG/Geforce Now issue and might try it with Cyberpunk.
largh is offline

largh

Watchdog

#21

Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Norway
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 6th, 2020, 16:30
It's impressive to see significant updates 5 years after release, shows the long-term support and the success of this game!

Perhaps it's my cue to buy some of its DLC
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
Watchdog

#22

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

September 6th, 2020, 18:31
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
With Hairworks? There's no way you were running everything on max with a RX480 and getting consistently good framerates. I've got a GTX 1080, which is significantly faster, and I can't do Ultra + Hairworks if I want to keep 60 fps.
It's entirely possible that I don't get 60fps. He didn't mention frame rate, but "crying tears of blood" I hope means something worse than running at, say, 40fps.

EDIT: I still have Witcher 3 installed, so I installed Fraps and found out exactly what's what on my machine.

I have grass density and shadows on high, everything else Ultra, Hairworks enabled, and at 1920x1280 resolution.

My latest save was outdoors in Novigrad. I ran around for ~30 seconds and never went below 55fps. I was mostly at 59 or 60 (I have it capped at 60 in the menu)
Last edited by JFarrell71; September 6th, 2020 at 18:43.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#23

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

September 6th, 2020, 19:45
With my AMD 570x when it released I played with Hairworks off, and a mix of high and Ultra. Ran the game at 50-55 FPS. Which is fine for me not a graphic snob.

Since then I upgraded to a newer AMD card and get 60 FPS on Ultra with Hairworks.
--
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
Last edited by Couchpotato; September 6th, 2020 at 20:27.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#24

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 24,253
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

Default 

September 6th, 2020, 22:03
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I have grass density and shadows on high, everything else Ultra, Hairworks enabled, and at 1920x1280 resolution.

My latest save was outdoors in Novigrad. I ran around for ~30 seconds and never went below 55fps. I was mostly at 59 or 60 (I have it capped at 60 in the menu)
Which Hairworks setting? Geralt only or everything? If it's the latter, CDPR must have made further optimizations since release. I'm tempted to start it up and see how it runs for me now with everything maxed.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 27,973
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

Default 

September 7th, 2020, 00:02
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Which Hairworks setting? Geralt only or everything? If it's the latter, CDPR must have made further optimizations since release. I'm tempted to start it up and see how it runs for me now with everything maxed.
I didn't check that. I just saw Hairworks = yes and moved on. Probably Geralt only. I have a faint recollection of thinking I didn't care enough about NPC hair to risk the FPS.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#26

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

September 7th, 2020, 00:04
Forgot to add I also use an HD mod which I highly recommend.

Link - https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021/?tab=files
--
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Laziest Man Alive

#27

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great ol'Murica
Posts: 24,253
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

Default 

September 7th, 2020, 17:26
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I have the same graphics card and ran it well with everything on high (plus ReShade). Something else is going on there.
I guess you're probably assuming 1920x1080? But he never mentioned what resolution he's using, that makes a world of difference.
Stingray is offline

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#28

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,167
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

September 7th, 2020, 19:06
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I guess you're probably assuming 1920x1080? But he never mentioned what resolution he's using, that makes a world of difference.
I didn't assume anything, but I did list my own resolution above. Doesn't matter anyway. If he's higher than that, he can lower it. The Witcher 3 isn't a 4K game. Complaining that it doesn't run is not preferable to setting it to 1920x1080 resolution.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#29

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

September 7th, 2020, 21:37
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I didn't assume anything, but I did list my own resolution above. Doesn't matter anyway. If he's higher than that, he can lower it. The Witcher 3 isn't a 4K game. Complaining that it doesn't run is not preferable to setting it to 1920x1080 resolution.
Well, no, you did assume. You said:
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I have the same graphics card and ran it well with everything on high (plus ReShade). Something else is going on there.
If you're using 1920x1080 and he's using 2560x1440 or 4K, then your experience with the same graphics card is kind of meaningless…

Besides, it's not so easy just lowering resolution. When you run any LCD monitor at a non-native resolution (like running a 4K at 1920x1080), things generally look terrible, especially text (fonts). It has to be avoided at all costs. Although NVIDIA did add an "integer scaling" option to their drivers finally last August that lets you run 1920x1080 games on 4K with simple pixel-quadrupling, and AMD did the same last December, so running a 1080 game on a 4K monitor isn't necessarily the nightmare it used to be - assuming you configure things right. Doesn't really help people with 2560x1440 monitors though.
Last edited by Stingray; September 8th, 2020 at 14:20.
Stingray is offline

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#30

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,167
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

September 7th, 2020, 22:33
It's weird that you can quote me but somehow still not read what I wrote. The fact that you have to hedge with "essentially" says it all. I wrote what I wrote. You are not a mind reader.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#31

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

September 8th, 2020, 01:55
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Also the soundtrack. So frikkin awesome!
Hmm…. idea for new thread…
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#32

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 5,170
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

September 8th, 2020, 14:20
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
It's weird that you can quote me but somehow still not read what I wrote. The fact that you have to hedge with "essentially" says it all. I wrote what I wrote. You are not a mind reader.
I don't have to hedge it and I'm not sure why I did. Fine, I'll edit that post and remove the word "essentially"
Stingray is offline

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#33

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,167
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Witcher 3 - Coming to Next Gen
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:52.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch