Pillars of Eternity - The Wailing Banshee Inn

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian posted a few images of The Wailing Banshee Inn for Pillars of Eternity. In-case none of you remember its the reward for the fundraiser on GameBanshee.
For our friends at GameBanshee:

Pillars of Eternity: The Wailing Banshee Inn

It was the largest battle of the War of Defiance, and the imperial army of Aedyr had blockaded the rebel capital of Defiance Bay with its fleet. They chose to invade with ground troops at the weakest point, a poorly fortified position in a district known as Ondra's Gift, which had once been a wetland before being drained and settled.

What the invaders didn't know was that they were being drawn into a trap. Aedyran soldiers stormed the district to find it abandoned, and before they could make sense of it, the dikes behind them were destroyed, and the district was flooded. The army of Aedyr was decimated.

Most of the original district was swept away in the flood, or remains beneath the water, a submerged ruin. One of the only surviving structures was a lighthouse, which now lies at the far end of the farthest dock of Ondra's Gift - and the locals prefer it that way. Those unaware of the local superstitions who pass that way find that their blood runs cold as they near it, and their bodies are overcome with panic. But often they remain paralyzed just long enough to hear the screams from within, and it's the screams that stay with them, haunting their dreams, spawning a host of wild stories - some about vengeful soldier ghosts, some about a lighthouse keeper who never knew to evacuate.

The key to the lighthouse has passed from one naïve would-be owner to the next, often through trickery. The last such victim was a young woman named Niah who had aspirations of converting the lighthouse into an inn that ended as quickly as her workers could flee. Though she still has hopes for it, she has yet to conjure the nerve to set foot inside.
More information.

I remember thinking when I was pledging at gamebanshee.com how Obsiadian is going to immortalise gamebanshee in their game without breaking immersion... Now I am impressed by their creativity and attention to details... Looks like Obsidian has created an amazing game - I hope it will be almost bug free, so no one will downgrade their work.

i too hope it will sell well, as for the bugs, its obsidian :lol: ; ill be happy if its in the state as wasteland 2 was at release. Anyway its sad to see so many ppl bashing the game on steamhub :(

edit i hope they will unlock it thursday morning and not in the evening eu time :D

I understand a lot of folks want a 'bug free' game. That just isn't going to happen. I am so happy that this game has been made, that I just don't care about the bugs. I will happily accept each patch when they are released. In the mean time, I will be playing, playing and more playing!! :)

I can't wait. I really hope they allow us to pre-load.

There's always gonna be bugs on release, and patches are inevitable. I just hope we don't have to start a new game every time, like with D:OS!!

Also to note is that from today onward streamers are allowed to stream their press build.
Though they are only allowed to show act 1. So you might take a look at twitch.

Oh, and for those who want to get familiar with the character system:
Sensuki (probably one of the most knowledgeable fans) made a nice little introduction video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVhbWTDAbR4

And for those who are interested in the lore of the game, there is an older video. While the narrator has an extremely strong accent, I found the video very well presented (must have been tons of work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4QBBTLo0I

Edit:
quill18 made a nice video about combat mechanics over here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u96bzh-3Eyk

and another one by quill18 with an overview of the races which I havent seen yet though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PNH0Ummj_Q

and another UI, Controls and Mechanics Guide by Sensuki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaCeUrG7Bc0

Last edited:
And for those who are interested in the lore of the game, there is an older video. While the narrator has an extremely strong accent, I found the video very well presented (must have been tons of work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4QBBTLo0I[/QUOTE]

If anyone is interested in seeing the full game(press copy) in action, check out Twitch. There was around 6 people playing when I last checked. I didn't mind spoiling the game a little. I just couldn't wait until the 26th to see it in action! Looks great!!!

There's always gonna be bugs on release, and patches are inevitable. I just hope we don't have to start a new game every time, like with D:OS!!

Are you talking about during early access? I have never had to restart the game I started on release day and it's fully patched. (Yes, I play slowly, thoroughly, and with a lot of other games between sessions). I think the only thing I'm missing by not restarting is access to the additional companions, but I'm ok with the original two and my current lead characters (Though seriously Madora, as a front line fighter you're going to get hit with the occasional splash damage from random explosions. Stop whining about it! No wonder the people of Hunter's Edge hate you)

As for Pillars, I am not too worried about bugs. I think Obsidian will get this one right. I'm pretty excited for this release.

Hey, that's nice !

I used to be a member of the Gamebanshee forums, but I stopped going there soon after they changed their layout, and made it too tablet or phone friendly for my taste. There are some pretty good people there. :)

Really, Alaric? o.o; Wow. Maybe I was doing something wrong then. Definitely during Early Access, though I remember having to restart my game a couple times after release too. Once was because it made me…if I'm remembering right, and then another time because they put some feature in that I wanted to have. I never got the additional companions either…by that point I was sick of restarting…but I'm looking forward to seeing them whenever I start my next game. ^.^

And I hope I never sounded like I wasn't excited for PoE. Ohhh, believe me. xD

I waited with playing D:OS the patch with the additional companions to be released.
Hope something like this won't happen to PoE. I don't mind a bug or two, but if there are features missing, I'd rather wait some weeks.

Added two videos from quill18 to my previous post. I think these are extremely helpful and if Couchy and the other mods don't mind I will also post them again in a news thread on thursday or so.

Added two videos from quill18 to my previous post. I think these are extremely helpful and if Couchy and the other mods don't mind I will also post them again in a news thread on thursday or so.
I have no problem with that as it makes my workload lighter.^^

We should be opening a new forum sub-section soon.

Back
Top Bottom