InXile Entertainment - Preparing for a Major Project

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Game Reactor inXile is preparing for a major project after Wasteland 3 has released.

Unsurprisingly, it will be a next-generation role-playing game, which uses the tech Unreal Engine 4, and Houdini for procedural systems. The team has grown enormously while being at Microsoft and they are today roughly 100 people working there, which makes it a fairly big developer. Now they are looking for even more developers with experience of AAA game and working in large teams.

[...]
More information.

Well seems all that Microsoft money is getting put to good use. So any guesses?

"next generation" implies console as I think they're all ready to release new consoles again, so something to be an X-Box exclusive probably with a secondary port for windows.

Something in the spirit of Dragonage 2? :p
Would be hilarious but no…:biggrin:
A proper Neverwinter Nights sequel? Would go well with the new Baldur's Gate… BioWare certainly isn't going to make it…
Probably not but I would pay for that.:(
"next generation" implies console as I think they're all ready to release new consoles again, so something to be an X-Box exclusive probably with a secondary port for windows.
Well the engine used is Unreal Engine 4. So porting is easy. On that note I'm expecting an action or FPS RPG. Can't see an open world traditional RPG with that engine.

Then again a JRPG called Last Remnant was made with Unreal 3.

It will likely be a simultaneous release on PC and XBOX given the stated Microsoft strategy. Fantasy is a solid bet but I reckon it could be a Strategy/RPG/Shooter type game.

Wonder what Obsidian will announce at a later date also? Don't forget they are now owned by Microsoft also. I know they announced that bug game, but that's not a RPG.

Not much in this link is news other than the fact they're using Unreal Engine 4 and Houdini for a game, right? Kinda obvious that they'd be starting on a new project after W3. Because of Microsoft's involvement, I'd expect a console-oriented AAA popamole game, but quite willing to be pleasantly surprised.

It appears Microsoft is buying up these mediocre game developer groups to launder dirty company money and they absolutely do NOT care at all about the kind of junk these lame developers produce.

It appears Microsoft is buying up these mediocre game developer groups to launder dirty company money and they absolutely do NOT care at all about the kind of junk these lame developers produce.

Well you get the award for silly comment today.

Microsoft has in the past put some good money into devs, if they get to do their thing with their resources then I think this is a good thing.

Weird negativity in this thread.

Personally, I liked Wasteland 2 and loved Tides of Numenara, not to mention a lot of the older RPGs that Fargo and other folks at InXile have worked on. I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce. Little to no reason to think it's going to be a shooter or anything like that. That's not their roots or anything they've worked on in the recent past.

"Fantasy is a solid bet but I reckon it could be a Strategy/RPG/Shooter type game."

What even is that? I can't think of a single game that could be called a strategy rpg shooter.

Negativity?o_O

Anyway like I said already the Unreal Engine was never used for traditional RPGs. It's mostly been FPS/RPGs like Mass Effect or Strategy/RPG hybrids like X-Com.

Maybe I'll be surprised as BioWare converted the Frostbite engine.:)

Weird negativity in this thread.

Personally, I liked Wasteland 2 and loved Tides of Numenara, not to mention a lot of the older RPGs that Fargo and other folks at InXile have worked on. I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce. Little to no reason to think it's going to be a shooter or anything like that. That's not their roots or anything they've worked on in the recent past.

"Fantasy is a solid bet but I reckon it could be a Strategy/RPG/Shooter type game."

What even is that? I can't think of a single game that could be called a strategy rpg shooter.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto comes to mind. I am thinking it could be a combination of some or all of these game types. My reasoning being it will be on console and using unreal engine.

Negativity?o_O

Anyway like I said already the Unreal Engine was never used for traditional RPGs. It's mostly been FPS/RPGs like Mass Effect or Strategy/RPG hybrids like X-Com.

Maybe I'll be surprised as BioWare converted the Frostbite engine.:)

Bard's tale 4?

Bard's tale 4?
Never heard of it. :p

Kidding it was a commercial flop though. It also wasn't a very good traditional RPG at all.

Bottom-line Microsoft would not spend over $30 million on that type of RPG.

Edit: Remember this is a console first title and needs mass market appeal.

Last edited:
Next gen RPG AAA big budget, big team. I smell MMO and heavy action game.

Next gen RPG AAA big budget, big team. I smell MMO and heavy action game.
Highly probably as Brian Fargo wants to make his dream RPG before he finally retires. Based on past interviews on RPS he wants to make an online connected RPG world.
Fargo believes that CRPGs will increasingly feature multiplayer – something the Original Sin games again pioneered – and Wasteland 3 will be the first in the series with a co-op campaign. “Every metric [suggests it will get] more and more difficult to do a single player game. You’ll see more multiplayer [in CRPGs], but the trick is for us to not give up the depth.”

His desire for multiplayer action and more emergent gameplay will culminate in a “secret project” to be unveiled later this year, he tells me, which will combine inXile’s love for storytelling with the freedom of a multiplayer sandbox game such as DayZ or Rust. Those games often simulate the breakdown of a post-apocalyptic society perfectly, but have stories that are often just: “Here’s a rock, go,” he says.

“I’ve been completely fascinated by the emergent gameplay that comes from open-world systems, but yet we love storytelling, and so we want to explore how we might be able to merge those worlds,” he explains.

Never heard of it. :p

Kidding it was a commercial flop though. It also wasn't a very good traditional RPG at all.

Bottom-line Microsoft would not spend over $30 million on that type of RPG.

Edit: Remember this is a console first title and needs mass market appeal.

Not entirely true, but also not false.
I'm still thinking that because of their game pass they really need diverse titles in order to appeal to more people. So I still think it will be more akin traditional RPG but more "fast-paced". I'm willing to bet it's going to be similar to Dragon Age or Neverwinter Nights. :D

In July 2017 (before InXile got taken over by Microsoft) they received a big cash injection of nearly 5 mil (Gumi VR) to start work on an multiplayer open world sandbox wasteland type game. This is just giving that project a name.

Back
Top Bottom