Final Fantasy VII - Barret Trailer, Wallpapers, Launch Event & More

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Twinfinite reports on the Final Fantasy VII Remake, a launch event and some new Barret assets and news.

Square Enix has some interesting assets and news to share about the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake.

First of all, we get some content dedicated to everyone's favorte gatling-armed character Barret.

He gets his own little trailer, and a batch of really fetching avatars and wallpapers, which you can download here in various sizes or find in the gallery below. The trailer is at the bottom of the post.

[...]

Last, but not least, Square Enix announced via press release a launch event that will happen on top of the Skytree tower in Tokyo.

The event will run between February 6 and April 22 to celebrate the game's release, with the interior of the tower decorated in a way that will let you experience the world of the Final Fantasy VII Remake, 450m above ground level.
More information.

Final Fantasy 7 episode ONE of... a few. On the PS4 to start with. With PS5 about a year away.

Final Fantasy 7 episode ONE of… a few. On the PS4 to start with. With PS5 about a year away.
You forgot an XBox One& Switch version.

Lets not forget a PC version years after that.

Have to tap every revenue stream possible.:biggrin:

There's a LOT of ways that can do that, though.

First, they could take a crazy ton of money from Sony to keep it exclusive to PlayStation forever. I really hope that isn't true.

Second, they could just release everything to the other platforms 6 months or a year later.

Third, they could have an HD version for the PS5 getting set up even now. They could then release that on all platforms at the same time (hopefully giving a discount to the folks that bought early).

Fourth, they could aim all the episodes at PS4 then compile them all into one huge game for PS5 after the last episode shows up. Then release that package to all platforms.

Or they could go out of business after the first episode and we'll all be left suffering for eternity wondering what could have been....

Didn't the last Final Fantasy trilogy get released on the XBox also? Still yes Sony might throw a big pile of cash Square Enix's way to keep it a Sony exclusive forever.

I saw somewhere info sayin it will be 1 year exclusivity on PS4.

Not to be "that guy", but does anyone else think Barrett looks a bit white? He was darker skinned iirc in the original version. Just looks more like a buff white dude now?

Final Fantasy 7 episode ONE
Lets not forget a PC version years after that.
A remake of something I've never played before with Hitman strategy (episodic)… Count me not buying till the whole game is available.
Not to be "that guy", but does anyone else think Barrett looks a bit white? He was darker skinned iirc in the original version. Just looks more like a buff white dude now?
It's a remake so some changes aren't unexpected. However, according to others, the new Barret is dark skinned asian, not white:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/2650805212056193708
Whatever the case is, once the game hits PC, you'll be able to mod his looks thus making the whole thing pretty much irrelevant. If you do plan to play the consoles version while needing looks as faithful as possible or whatever your preferences might be, I mean I need all people as nude as possible in every game regardless of their looks… Ah well, tough luck - but that's not something PC audience should care about.

Last edited:
Comparing my screenshots to the videos, looks about the same. He's most definitely not Asian.

If I can mod a darker skinned Barrett but keep the rest of his looks I'll be happy. I just don't understand the apparent white-washing of a very important character. Seems very odd and stands out in a bad way to me.

Well Tifa is lacking in the breast department as well.:biggrin:

Tetsuya Nomura, director on the remake, says that “it was necessary to restrict her chest.” In the game, Tifa primarily fights with her fists rather than a gun or a sword. Giving her a slimmer build seemed like a logical choice for incorporating an aspect of the character’s fighting mechanics directly into her character design.

The Famitsu interview also mentions that the Square Enix ethics department determined “restricting” Tifa’s chest was necessary to prevent her from appearing “unnatural” during fight sequences. Given that Final Fantasy 7 Remake is an action role-playing game, unlike turn-based play in the original, the character models are inherently more kinetic.

In the 1997 version of Final Fantasy 7, Tifa’s proportions clearly emphasized her chest. However, this was partly due to the limited character model capabilities on the classic PlayStation’s hardware. In order to depict a “sexy woman,” features had to be overly exaggerated. Without better graphics and the nuances to character design that they can bring, we ended up with the busty Tifa in the original Final Fantasy 7.
So there you go large breasts are unnatural.:lol:

Ps: I'm joking but yeah Square Enix has an ethics department.

That's ridiculous. I agree couch. Tifa should have big boobs and Barrett should be black. Shame they're making such important missteps already in this remake. Just give us what we want, something true to the original.

That's ridiculous. I agree couch. Tifa should have big boobs and Barrett should be black. Shame they're making such important missteps already in this remake. Just give us what we want, something true to the original.
Based on the videos and images available they changed Barrett, Aerith, & Tifa.
Why do ethics only ever stop things we like and never target anti-consumer practices that are clearly unethical?

Because they are meant to protect the company and not the consumer. Whatever controversy came from the Tifa thing, they did it because they very likely found it would be better for them image wise.

Well in short: money.

One of my You-tuber friends who is hated on this site had this opinion.

He brings up a few good points.

Back
Top Bottom