Solasta - Early Access Review @ PCGamesN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN has reviewed the Early Access version of Solasta:Crown of the Magister:

Solasta is no Baldur's Gate 3, but it is Dungeons & Dragons

This RPG based on D&D's rules is a bit too raw to be considered a real contender right now, but there is promise

Solasta: Crown of the Magister starts where any good Dungeons & Dragons campaign should: with four folks coming together over some cheap ale to discuss a proposition, one which promises to launch them on a grand quest. Banter forges a bond between them while also recounting the harrowing mishaps that befell them on their way to the tavern. It also serves as a bit of tutorial, teaching the player how to navigate menus, sneak past enemies, and use clever combat manoeuvres to even uncertain odds.

[...]

If you're clamouring for a Dungeons & Dragons adaptation that's as faithful as it can be to the dice-throwing of its source material, Solasta is worth checking out. But if an enrapturing world and story are more your priority, I don't think it's ready for you yet. Waiting out this first wave of Early Access updates - at least - would be wise.
More information.

I was very skeptical about this game, but might enjoy it when it's fully complete.

Have they done anything about the occlusion/navigation issues with the 3D environments?

I mean being able to see where you're going and what the frig is going on. In the demo it was a mess, IMO because occlusion was based on camera distance like in WL2, and not on discreet levels like in Silent Storm or JA:2.

I mean being able to see where you're going and what the frig is going on. In the demo it was a mess, IMO because occlusion was based on camera distance like in WL2, and not on discreet levels like in Silent Storm or JA:2.

Ah ok, yeah I had that issue sometimes in the demo as well. The camera does seem a lot better already in the EA. I think in part because you can now zoom in/out.

Back
Top Bottom