Good Old Games - Myst Now Available

magerette

Hedgewitch
A little off the rpg track, but for those into older games the classic adventure title Myst revamped into the Myst Masterpeice Edition and other Cyan Worlds titles including Riven are now available at GOG.
Here's the description:
Myst Masterpiece Edition is the remastered, higher-quality version of the original Myst - a first-person graphic adventure game. The story puts you in the shoes of "the Stranger", an otherwise unnamed person who arrived in the strange world, or "Age", soon after reading an unusual book called "Myst". The world appears to be deserted, so the Stranger is left with only one thing to do - explore. Here is where the game truly shines - there are a lot of unique locations to visit, each with a hidden secret waiting to be unraveled. It's not just about exploration, though, as there's an enthralling backstory with multiple endings to discover.
And just for our forums administrator Jaz, the old 3rd person shooter, MDK(Murder Death Kill) is now available there as well.
More information.

Myst was great except for the puzzles that had to be cheated with and that was the downside to all myst games except for Risen which was the exception. I beat that in a few days without cheating.

Some of the puzzles in others were ridiculous. Even with looking up the answer it could be mission impossible. That was the biggest reason why I stopped playing them.

If I wanted puzzles that hard I'd poke my eyes out.

Myst was great except for the puzzles that had to be cheated with and that was the downside to all myst games except for Risen which was the exception. I beat that in a few days without cheating.

Some of the puzzles in others were ridiculous. Even with looking up the answer it could be mission impossible. That was the biggest reason why I stopped playing them.

If I wanted puzzles that hard I'd poke my eyes out.
I don't remember having to use any cheats for Myst or Riven. Which puzzles were ridiculous?

Well I must have been pretty dense when I played the demo, and couldn't even figure out that first puzzle. But, I was new to PC gaming then. After that, never had the desire, and moved onto to NWN. :)

MDK has been available on GOG for a while, I think I bought it last year or very early this yea but it's been featured as a Hidden Gem. The newest releases at GOG have been Bloodrayne 2, Beyond Divinity, Creatures series, Psyconauts, Tropico Reloaded and UFO Aftermath.

Shaf

I already have it on Mac (original copy from '92), DS, PSP and iPhone ... I'll skip this one ;)

Man, I loved Myst. I can't remember how long it took me to finish it, but I think it was a little longer than it should have taken -- but that's only because I tried to figure everything out on my own. I had a huge pile of notes and just got sucked into that game. What a satisfying experience. And I love how after you beat it, you realize you can beat the game in about 2 minutes from the start.

I have tried playing the Myst games; I cant' seem to get into them, though. Vast beatiful landscapes, yes. Solitary man travelling through them - not so much.

And the puzzles; let's just say I'm not that into gauge puzzles, mechanica puzzles etc.

I've got the "Sniper's Edition" of MDK - of which the name was translated differently into German language. It was nowhere near as violent as its English-language counterpart.

If I remember correctly, the name was just translated as the game's protagonists : "Max, Dr. Hawkins, and Kurt".
Wikipedia, however, says otherwise.

Neither of my kids has finished Myst but both have tried, though my younger son has more or less given it up as too boring.

MYST is probably my all time favorite adventure game.

I started out despising it, until I "got it".

It's truly a game of discovery and immersion - and I consider the puzzles to be the best of their kind. They're EXTREMELY logical, and all you need to do is pay attention to your surroundings and make an effort to understand how the individual worlds work. Not a single obscure or abstract puzzle in there, nor any of the "let's try every item in my inventory stuff" - no, just plain old sensible and fair challenges.

Fantastic game, really.

My first game that went in the direction of Myst was "Zork Nemesis". Really cool, atmospheric game from what I remember. It even had surround sound.

I played Myst much, much later, when part 4 (?) was out for a few years already. I also played the sequel (Riven?) up to a point were I simply got stuck. Something with maps and islands or so … Such riddle games can be very relaxing. I liked Zork: Nemesis better than Myst though.

Those puzzles came in the later Myst games. You'd probably spend your whole life trying to figure one out.

Have you got any examples? I'm on no. 4 at the moment and it's all okay. No. 5 is waiting on the shelf.

There was a parody called "Pyst". It's very hard to get nowadays. Never saw it at retail.

There was a parody called "Pyst". It's very hard to get nowadays. Never saw it at retail.

I own another game, which includes a parody on some puzzles from Myst (and other adventures ofthe time like the 7th Guest):

Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time

It also uses many of Monty Python's sketches like The Spanish Inquisition,Spam, The Lumberjack song and others...

That was great!

(Myst was boring IMHO).

I also have Complete Waste Of Time, even the Grail game and (via ebay many years later) the Meaning Of Life game. I never played the last one, though.

Back
Top Bottom