Wave of Darkness - Version 1.2 Patch Notes

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The patch version 1.2 for Wave of Darkness has gone live and brings us five new quests and some fixes:

• Nils' Quest #1 - Forest Bane
    We have added Nils' Quest #1 - Forest Bane to the game. NPC for this and few next quests is shared so that is also completed. Starting location is being prepared for this. Scripting, rewards and everything else is completed.
  • Nils' Quest #2 - Carcass in the Woods
    We have added Nils' Quest #2 - Carcass in the Woods to the game.
  • Nils' Quest #3 - Wild Hunt
    We have added Nils' Quest #3 - Wild Hunt to the game.
  • Nils' Quest #4 - Smash and Run
    We have added Nils' Quest #4 - Smash and Run to the game.
  • Nils' Quest #5 - Dark Sisters
    We have added Nils' Quest #5 - Dark Sisters to the game.
  • Forgotten Temple map icon
    Forgotten Temple [932,1213] location had wrong map icon. This has been fixed.
  • Mass Sepultre map icon
    Mass Sepultre [1472,122] location had wrong map icon. This has been fixed.
  • Wooden Bridge map icon
    Wooden Bridge [202, 413] location had wrong map icon. This has been fixed.
More information.

I wonder if Mass Sepultre is the same as a Mass Sepulcher; basically, a mass grave? I'm unfamiliar with the word Sepultre.

Definetly some typo or a fictional place name - such word doesn't exist in devs' language either.

These new quests really help flesh out the first town. Wave still needs many more quests to feel like a full game, but they're heading in the right direction. I've been flooding the steam forum with suggestions for improving the game. Hopefully, a few other folks from RPGWatch will give Iggy a hand and try his game in early access. He's been great to us providing keys, discussing his product, answering questions, etc. I like to reward that type of thing. I've bought or backed games I will never play, just because the Devs made an effort to reach out to us.

I bought Early Access rather than asking you for your key because I knew I wouldn't be playing much yet. Does the game ever get deeper as you go along or is it firmly rooted in ARPG territory?

Hard to answer. The main quest is pretty cool, from what I can tell. I think it revolves around a cult that is trying to bring back the old, evil gods. They've done this by corrupting several temples in the area, causing all sorts of evil creatures to roam the land. Your job will be to cleanse all these temples and that is pretty cool and makes for a good main quest.

However, all of the gameplay is strictly ARPG stuff. There are a few puzzles and such, but this is mostly about clearing hordes of creatures and collecting their loot. Spells have cooldowns, but are devastating. Melee is weaker as there are no special moves or anything but click, click, click. Well, you can press and hold too. They're working on combat, but there is no time estimate.

Crafting wants to be a big part of the game, but it's a mess right now. The problem is that you don't find recipes that you can easily create. All the items for low level gear should have been extremely prevalent in the first areas, so that people get a chance to craft early on. Very little thought went into how crafting would really work and it shows. Healing potions are a staple in most games so there should have been tons of the ingredients to make the smaller healing potions right from the start. Same with weapons. I have 68 recipes and I can make 4 of them at level 7.

My feeling is that this is an okay game right now, for an ARPG. The Devs want to make it a deeper game but Legends didn't make much and I'm just not seeing a lot of new members on Steam for Wave of Darkness. I wonder how long they can stay in business without a solid revenue stream.

This is sad, because they have learned from their mistake with Legends and have done everything in their power to make this game better. I just hope that they can stay in business because they're steadily improving. I'm not seeing many new players though and I'm often one of only two or three people to post on the Steam forums. That's a really bad sign. It's why I talk the game up here. We need guys like this to stay solvent and keep learning.

After messing around with it in the Tutorial it is 100% better that legend of the Dawn.

Though need to work on the speed of the camera controls.
Tutorials should be fast and easy, just to give you a quick run down of how things work.
Not enough slots open in my inventory for a Tutorial.
If someone hasn't played Legends opening chest with runes needs to be explained more clearly.
Give the character some coins in the Tutorial.
Not sure two types of monetary needed.
I have gotten stuck in a few spots, and had to reload as there is no jump control.
More time needed to get back to a safe area or better warning is needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments, guys. I'll write down all the stuff you report here, so we'll do our best to work on them.

An interesting thing about coins. As far as I know, you never find a single coin in treasure. It is always crafting stuff, weapons, armor, etc. As if you're the only person on the continent supplying coinage to the realm. I believe the first game was like this as well. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but unusual.

As far as I can remember, the only place in the whole game that I've used keys or lock runes was the tutorial. Everything is unlocked everywhere else. This may change at some point but I hope not.

Moved on into the main quest.

One thing that would be nice on the dead bodies is once they were looted they didn't glow any more. This way people would know they have looted them.

I posted on the forum with a picture of a simple spots that you can get stuck in either need to be filled in or some sort of jump or climb needs to be added to a game.
Nothing more frustration then being some RPG hero and getting hung up on some tree root or small pit hole.

Last edited:
It is a playable game and besides having to reload a few times because of the above it is fun so far. So lets get a few more of us here trying it out for them.

I'd like the bodies to stop glowing too. Same with plants, chests, and other loot containers.

I enjoy the magic system. It is simple, but gets the job done. There are good special effects too, especially for an indie. Basically, there are 3 types of spells: protection, missile and ward. Protection mostly adds resistance to damage types or creature types. If you have animal protection up, they must do more damage than your spell's protection level. Missiles are the single target attack spells and wards are an area of effect spell centered on the caster.

Monsters are very slowly added to your bestiary and you won't always know what type of creature you're facing. If that's the case, then you can use elemental spells. They're not as good as specific targeted spells, but they damage most types of creatures.

Once you know what type a creature is, you can use specific spells against that race. For instance an undead missile is much more devastating than a fire bolt; if your target is undead. If it isn't, it doesn't damage them at all and they'll be in your face.

The absolute best spell in the game is movement/stun. If the spell is protection based, it increases your speed, making you much faster than the monsters :) Of course if you run into another group and your spell runs out....

Guys, if you're willing to help us get a bit more exposure on Steam, could you give us a "positive" review on Wave of Darkness Steam page?

It would mean really a lot. The game would get a better ranking on Steam, and possibly a better exposure among users.

I hope I'm not asking too much :)

The last month we've sent over 50 Early Access keys to the journalists, curators and youtubers. I guess about five out of those sent me the preview article. Five.

This month we'll try to contact all of those people who received our keys and ask them for the feedback, but I don't expect much.

What I learned from that, is that people are extremely irresponsible and basically they just don't give a shit. Sad, but true.

Sorry, Iggy, but my guess is that you can skip the curators and youtubers. Looking at the screenies, i just have the feeling that the GUI is better than in Legends of Dawn. And i see a sacrifice item there?!

I wrote one up.

I pointed out the fun of the magic system. To me, this is the most solid aspect of the game. The divination skill should lower cooldowns by about 2%/level instead of restoring faith, but the rest of the magic system is pretty cool. Still need a way for missiles to hit multiple targets.

I'd also like about 1/3 longer range on missiles and bows. Still this game is worth playing for the measly $20.

Getting stuck sucks but oftentimes if I save/reload the game will place me in a spot where I can move on the reload. Not always though. A possible fix would be a blink spell. Something that moves the character like a teleport, but just within the normal range of a ward. This would be a great spell for bow using characters as well.

I'd love to see target runes. Adding these runes would cost 50% of the original spell cost, but give your missiles a 2nd and 3rd target if one is in range. Otherwise the same target would be hit two or three times :)

This is a very fun game so lets try and help Iggy out. Dreamatrix is really looking for feedback to try and make a great game. So far this is what I can offer.

I really think the tutorial needs to be improved on to get people that do try it to go deeper into the game.

Polishing that as much as you guys can to show case what the game will be like. There are a lot of areas that you can get stuck in which people truly hate. Also a tutorial needs to be short and to the point Show Casing the High lights of the game.

- Cut it down a bit.
-Explain the ruins and chest better.
-On the way to do the Captains quest maybe have the combat there or once you open the door into the quest area.
-Zoom in and out works fine, but left to right is very slow. I moved the hotkeys to the arrow pad. This is to keeps my right hand closer to my left on the keyboard.
-I find it not only very distracting during conversations that the screen rotates also with it being slow to rotate back it is a pain.

Last edited:
Getting stuck sucks but oftentimes if I save/reload the game will place me in a spot where I can move on the reload. Not always though. A possible fix would be a blink spell. Something that moves the character like a teleport, but just within the normal range of a ward. This would be a great spell for bow using characters as well.

I'd love to see target runes. Adding these runes would cost 50% of the original spell cost, but give your missiles a 2nd and 3rd target if one is in range. Otherwise the same target would be hit two or three times :)

Hmm... Well, we actually have the teleport feature implemented in the game, but it's only for the testing purposes. That means, only in-house.

I'll talk with our programmer regarding the possible implementation of that feature in form of a spell, but no promises at this point. I'll see what he'll say about that.

Hmm… Well, we actually have the teleport feature implemented in the game, but it's only for the testing purposes. That means, only in-house.

I'll talk with our programmer regarding the possible implementation of that feature in form of a spell, but no promises at this point. I'll see what he'll say about that.

If you can't add that to the please try and fix the all the silly area's where you can get stuck for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom