Dying Light 2 - An Open World Philosophy

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GamesRadar talked with Dying Light 2 producer Kornel Jaskula; who expanded on the game's open world design philosophy.

To make this dream a reality, Techland has poured resources into constructing new proprietary technology, a necessary expense (and headache) to engineer something as ambitious as Dying Light 2. "You could say that it has been quite the challenge," Jaskula laughs. "All of this has forced us to change the technology behind our games. We created a brand new engine - the C-Engine - to support the focus on choice and consequence that runs through the story and the gameplay."

But all of this will be for nought if Techland can't sell the concept of its 'narrative sandbox' to prospective players. The truth is, it's incredibly difficult to demonstrate something so inherently systemic. The entire game is layered in such a way that even the smallest interactions, decisions and actions can feed back into the simulated world at large. If every one of your actions feeds into the wider scope of the story, as well as the gameplay opportunities that pervade the experience, simultaneously, how do you possibly convey that idea to the players?

The best way to think about the structure, Jaskula suggests, is if you cast it in the context of going rogue with a LEGO set. "The player does have an overall goal in Dying Light 2, but it's up to you to decide how you get to it," he tells me of the overarching narrative, one which sees you charged with trying to locate an object that can potentially turn the tide of the zombie apocalypse in your favour. "It's like having LEGO bricks and being given the goal of building a house. We give you the bricks but not the original set - you don't have the instructions that can take you through it step-by-step. You only have the goal and it's up to you to decide how that house will look by the very end - but it is going to be a house. It's up to the player to figure out how the bricks can connect, how they influence one another, and how the building and its interior takes shape..."

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Good interview cant wait to play this and it will probably be another Epic Exclusive.:p

There are three open world philosophies.

1. An excuse to spawn annoying trashmobs from thin air endlessly (Skyrim, DA:Bears, FF15)
2. Bosses don't respawn, only trashmobs you can onehit and not waste time (TW3)
3. Trashmobs spawn only once and die permanently when killed, the world is populated with harder ones depending on the story progression (Gothic)

Which of the three philosophies Dying Light 2 follows? Easy (1), Normal (2) or Hard (3)?
I don't see it from the article.

Nice, i just finished the main game again yesterday and now playing the addon; first one was almost perfect, i hope they wont try to add more stuff just to add it.

There are three open world philosophies.

1. An excuse to spawn annoying trashmobs from thin air endlessly (Skyrim, DA:Bears, FF15)
2. Bosses don't respawn, only trashmobs you can onehit and not waste time (TW3)
3. Trashmobs spawn only once and die permanently when killed, the world is populated with harder ones depending on the story progression (Gothic)

Which of the three philosophies Dying Light 2 follows? Easy (1), Normal (2) or Hard (3)?
I don't see it from the article.

The first one falls in the first category, but the point was more in avoiding fights than anything. I assume the second one will be similar.

It's a zombie game, it wouldn't be fun (for people who love zombie games) if you could kill all zombies and have none left by the middle of the game. And, theoretically, if there were no respawning, you could do that in the first one with the abundance of crafting materials there was. But if you made the crafting materials much, much less abundant and have them don't respawn as well, it would be a smash.

Sorry, completely forgot, there is that 4th style but it was never used for the whole openworld. Respawn endlessly till a player does something to stop it. FC3 partially uses it - once you pwn all bases in an area, human hostiles won't materialize out of nowhere any more in that area, but hostile fauna still would.
The new Tomb Raider 2 (Rise of the) uses the reverse of it, fauna respawns endlessly but only after you complete a certain main story point, human hostiles will start to appear from thin air at certain points of the map.

Back
Top Bottom