What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Kraftidioten

"If you loved "Fargo", "Burn after reading", "The big white" or "In Bruges" this is the film for you. It's almost a mix, though it's a bit more dark and bloody, and has a more serious underlying theme. This is balanced beautifully with giving death announcements in a way I've never seen before after the body count rises." ;)

I didn't watch it yet, but is among my priorities. It's just… I don't watch movies lately, and mostly those are already "old".

But the reason it's high on my wishlist is because I thought it's something like "they eat dogs in china", not "fargo"?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180748/

A new trailer was released for the next remake of Fantastic Four.

Seems to be another alternate take on the comics/movies.:uneasy:

Mentioned in another thread comics masterpiece named Trial of Galactus.
I see (and saw) no reason turning F4 into a movie or movie series at all except for this "most important" comic.
But okay. I hope at least this time untalented Alba won't show in.

Mentioned in another thread comics masterpiece named Trial of Galactus.
I see (and saw) no reason turning F4 into a movie or movie series at all except for this "most important" comic.
But okay. I hope at least this time untalented Alba won't show in.

Well, she did have a "couple" of talents :)

Well, she did have a "couple" of talents :)

Perhaps we have different interpretations of the meaning of the word 'talent'. Being a beautiful woman isn't a 'talent'. It is a wonderful thing, to be sure … just not a talent :)

Though honestly I really enjoyed her in Dark Angel ... I don't think of her as 'untalented' in the field of acting. Like anything it is a distribution where the norm is 'average', with some poor actors and excellent actors in the minority. Remember when Cindy Crawford tried to act? (she is the same age as me within a few weeks, so is always a reference point ;) ). Beautiful? No doubt. Actor? No.

Perhaps we have different interpretations of the meaning of the word 'talent'. Being a beautiful woman isn't a 'talent'. It is a wonderful thing, to be sure … just not a talent :)

Strictly speaking, we do have different interpretations, yes. To me, a talent is something you're enabled to have that's largely beyond your own power to control, presumably from birth. Like a beautiful singing voice or naturally endowed beauty. However, it can still be nurtured and used to its maximum potential. I don't believe a talent for music, for instance, is any different at its core. I don't think your brain has notes in perfect unison flowing up and down neuron streams or whatever. I also think the environment plays a part in what "seems" like a natural talent, though I'm not certain how large that part is.

It's for this reason that I don't think it makes sense to reward people for being talented singers over being talented plumbers. Also, I don't think an attractive pair of breasts are any less interesting or deserving of attention than a talent for composing music.

I think all kinds of beauty is wonderful - but I don't bother treating people as more or less valuable because of it, and I don't think we should be ashamed of displaying or demonstrating such beauty.

As for her acting ability, I've never noticed it being particularly noteworthy or bad. Bland is perhaps unfair, but certainly not enough to make me sit up and take notice of that particular aspect of her contribution.

Good point :) I was thinking about that after I posted (probably over-thinking, really). But it is very true. DTE says exchanges like this are ultimately pointless ... I disagree - I just had a 'limiting automatic thought pattern' removed :)

Good point :) I was thinking about that after I posted (probably over-thinking, really). But it is very true. DTE says exchanges like this are ultimately pointless … I disagree - I just had a 'limiting automatic thought pattern' removed :)

I'm glad :)

I don't really know how much good it does to speak your mind and exchange with people like I do here - but it just makes sense in terms of trying to evolve myself, and potentially the positions of other people.

I agree with DTE about not necessarily seeing a result, though. Also, it really does seem like a tremendous waste of effort on occasion, but I guess I just feel compelled - since I'm still doing it, even if I don't enjoy the negative aspects of debating with people who don't agree. Such a marathon, sometimes.

Did you ever wonder what sort of high school play you would have to sit through and smile if our children were given a few hundred million dollars. Well you don't have to wait any longer Jupiter Ascending the movie is out for all to see.

WOW!!! those that thought John Carter was bad, well this might make it look like a master piece.

-100/10

Did you ever wonder what sort of high school play you would have to sit through and smile if our children were given a few hundred million dollars. Well you don't have to wait any longer Jupiter Ascending the movie is out for all to see.

WOW!!! those that thought John Carter was bad, well this might make it look like a master piece.

-100/10

Often, great artists peak after their first or second major contribution, and then it's nothing but a slow decline until they reach mediocrity at old age.

I have more examples of this than I care to count, including some of my favorites:

Ridley Scott
James Cameron
Francis Coppola

I found this New Zealand movie called What we do in the Shadows. All I can say if you were ever a fan of More Bad News or This is Spinal Tap you have to watch this.

It is mockumentary on Vampires … I laughed so hard, it is very well done.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/

Just saw this one, and thought it was hilarious. One for fans of silly humour. Contains one of the funniest one liners I have ever heard.

A friend came over from another town last weekend.
After sight seeing during day, at night we watched "Cloud Atlas". She did not see it, so I figured it will be fun to watch it. Turns out it was.
And the next day, because she likes "The Matrix" trilogy, I decided to show her "Dark City".
Fun times. :)

I haven't seen Jupiter Ascending, but I was forced to watch Fifty Shades of Grey last night. :mad:

Definitely the worst movie I've seen so far this year. Terribly cliché and predictable with horrible acting to match. I had low expectations to begin with, but I was actually amazed at how bad it was.

I haven't seen Jupiter Ascending, but I was forced to watch Fifty Shades of Grey last night. :mad:

Definitely the worst movie I've seen so far this year. Terribly cliché and predictable with horrible acting to match. I had low expectations to begin with, but I was actually amazed at how bad it was.

haha - my wife read the (increasingly awful) books, because once she starts a book she will finish it no matter what, same with a trilogy :) But when the movie was announced she said we were going ... and I said 'sure', because really who cares, she puts up with my stuff, I can do it for a couple of hours for this movie.

But she had no desire to see it when it came out in theaters.

Now it is on video ... who knows if/when we'll see it. I'll deal with it, but won't be sad if we don't :)

Just saw this one, and thought it was hilarious. One for fans of silly humour. Contains one of the funniest one liners I have ever heard.

And I thought only I here adore the "exotic" stuff!
That gem is a musthave in everyone's home DVD collection IMO. Sadly, hardly anyone even heard about it.

Anyway, I've just returned home from the cinema, watched Avengers 2.
Those who search for phylosophical questions and answers won't find 'em there. The movie plays like a videogame and ain't bad at all. Although I know and it's obvious Avengers will get a sequel, I'm still waiting for Trial of Galactus screen adaptation which won't come soon I bet.

Just saw Avengers 2. I liked it better than the first, which I thought was one of the best superhero movies-- definitely my favorite Marvel movie. Unfortunately I think we're looking at a lineup switch before Infinity Wars comes out in a couple years, and based on what I saw, didn't like the upcoming team.

Avengers 2 is definitely worth seeing if you enjoyed its predecessor.

I enjoyed Avengers 1 (to a point) but felt the sequel was overly long and much of the time I simply didn't care about the popcorn-plot. Yay, robot army, save the world, hohum. One of my only highlights was the emergence of
Vision
I also think they should have probed Ultron's motives more, given James Spader something more philosophical in nature to create more than a cardboard villain. That clearly CGI intro sequence pretty disappointing as well in terms of quality. If Avengers 1 was an 8, I'd rank Ultron a 6.5 or 7.

Real movie I'm waiting on is Mad Max - moreso than any other title this year, including Star Wars.

Fifty Shades ...zero comments on that we turned it off.

I have watched it a few times now and it ranks right up there with some of the best writing and acting. It just makes me laugh and puts a huge smile on my face at how well it was done all the way around.

Back
Top Bottom