Elex New info about ELEX

What do you mean by please this, please that?
If they keep up their design style sign (no timewasting on trashmobs, no checkpoints in openworld, doors are not props) I think I'll be easy to please.

If there is something they desperately need in their games, that's more humor!

Subtitles are supposed to be coming up so make sure to check back if your German is kinda rusty ;) .

Well it doesn't look like anyone is translating them, since it still says on the video that subtitles will be added "later".

I want Elex to be a good game, but from what we've seen it has decade old looking graphics, it has pretty awkward looking animations and it has a combat system that could do with some work. I really hope that the final product is a lot more polished.

Yea I couldn't care less about combat.
Instead, I need those characters to grow some proper hair.

You mean combat doesn't matter to you much in general or just that the combat in this game looks fine?

As I posted in a recent Elex news thread, there is an ongoing Let's Play series with German YouTuber Gronkh (the guy has 4+ million subs) spanning about three hours in total. PB's Björn Pankratz joined Gronkh for these sessions.

So far, there are three ~40 minutes/each parts so there is one or two more to come.

For those whose German is a little rusty here's some comments:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOieSu_PRI
Summary: Part 1 shows the intro (English intro here) and how our player character, a high ranking infamous Alb general (the bad guys) by the name of Jax a.k.a 'The beast of Xacor', crashes with his glider.
On the ground, Jax emerges from the burning wreckage and is soon confronted by an Alb execution squad who kill him for failing his mission. Of course they don't really kill him because the game would be over then :biggrin: so instead Jax falls off the cliff and lies unconscious in the forest for a day or two. An outlaw comes by and steals his stuff. We also learn through a Jax monologue that a guy (Alb) named Kallax betrayed him.
Jax then makes his way through an abandoned installation which sort of serves as the tutorial area and here he also finds his jetpack.
As he walks out of the installation, he comes across a lone berserker who is sitting at a fireplace. A scripted scene shows how Jax is trying to attack the berserker but Jax' powers are very weak due to Elex deprivation so the berserker, Mr. Duras, easily averts Jax' attack.
They do some talkie-talkie and Duras offers Jax to take him to the berserker city of Goliet. He offers him two routes, a safer one and a more dangerous one through some ruins where a group of clerics went MIA and where Jax might loot their stuff.
Gronkh chooses the more dangerous route and off they go exploring the ruins, picking up the stuff the clerics lost and getting into fights.

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLwrbCkbeY
Summary: Part 2 continues with more exploration of the ruins but then Gronkh refocuses on the main task which was to join Duras for the trip to Goliet and so at around the 11:00 minute mark Duras and Jax finally continue their journey. There's more exploration, fighting and at 22:10 or so Jax and Duras arrive at their destination, the gates of Goliet, where Duras leaves the party.
Gronkh does not enter the city immediately but explores the surroundings some more until at 24:30 he finally decides to enter the city and speaks to the guard at the gate.
Jax gets to enter the city and then Gronkh demonstrates the somewhat awkward theft system.
He explores the city some more and has a conversation with the guy running the tavern as well as another berserker in town and at 39:40 we get to see the berserker's trash dump where they dump all the stuff (e.g. weapons from the clerics) after extracting the Elex from it.

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLEaYyoWtc
Summary: Part 3 starts with a rather lengthy conversation with Ragnar, the berserker head honcho (at least of this clan… I'm not sure if he is the overall boss or just this clan's boss). It's standard PB stuff like 'how can I join you guys' etc. etc. and Jax picks up Ragnar's joining/goodwill quest throughout the course of the conversation.
Next up there is more exploration in Goliet and another longer talk with Akira who is a berserker healer.
More talkie-talkie follows with Bertram who is an undercover cleric (which for some reason he immediately reveals to Jax) in Goliet. He offers Jax money in exchange for the cleric weapons he found on his way to Goliet but Gronkh refuses.
Next he makes his way to the top of the city where he meets Ragnar again in his throne room and later on we also get to see Diego errr… Duras again.

Thanks for the links and the summaries. I wish there was some footage of the English version somewhere. These videos look a little more polished than any footage I had seen previously, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing this. I hope the translation and English VO are solid.

Who did the soundtrack? I like what I've heard of the BGM so far. It reminds me of Gothic 1&2.

I still hate the UI though. The bright blue seems really out of place against the gritty visuals of the game world. It's jarring in a bad way.

Yes, the UI is not exactly pretty and also quite convoluted with the tabs and sub-tabs.

Tonight the fourth and final part of the LP went online. Additionally, WoE posted the (almost) full world map based on what could be seen of the map throughout the LP videos.

Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w02EO5XvfVs
Summary: This video begins with the exploration of the berserker's Elex shrine, i.e. where they convert Elex into mana. Then Gronkh moves on to solve one of Ragnar's quests which is to find Irdor, a berserker whose task it is to protect one of the world's hearts south of Goliet. A world's heart brings back the flora, plant life and fertility to the world (regions polluted with Elex fallout are frozen instead since Elex is a freezing cold substance).
On the way to the world's heart he jumps off the berserker's trash dump site and meets Jax' former droid (whom we last saw in the intro) who reveals quite a lot of spoilerific info about Jax' primary and secondary mission objectives which -in a nutshell- were to spy on the berserkers. Jax sends the droid off to a repair station in Abessa because the droid's software has become corrupt.
At 12:20 Jax meets an Outlaw -Bigby- who is hiding near Goliet and who is naturally involved in some shady activities.
Then there's lots of exploring and finally at 26:00 Jax arrives at the world's heart to meet Irdor.
Jax was tasked by Ragnar to find out what Irdor is up to and so there is a lot of talkie-talkie about his problems. It ends with a rather generic PB quest which is to find food for Irdor. You can either go back to Goliet to get supplies for him or go and harvest 50(!)… yes f-i-f-t-y… shrooms from the surrounding area (timesink quest confirmed ;) ).
Gronkh is kinda shocked at the quest requirement and instead of plucking the 50 shrooms he just screws around doing some fighting and exploring near Irdor's position for the rest of the video.

Is it possible to tell someone from Pluto13 somewhere that UI sucks and beg them to make it at least a bit better?

I'm still buying the game, but I can't really "advertise" it to my friends.

Elex will be shown at the RPC (role-playing convention) this upcoming weekend so there will probably be a lot of coverage (YT shaky cam videos of the stage presentations and of play sessions etc.) in the very near future.

A new trailer has already leaked online via WoE and it is showing off Ignadon (home of the clerics and very close to the impact site of the meteorite that hit Magalan) for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REkCsF-WDqA

While you're there at WoE's channel, you might also want to check out the
ELEX - Summary & Analysis of Recent Video Previews

I'm starting to wonder if most of these videos are of the game being played in Easy mode. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like the default difficulty is much of a challenge.

I'm starting to wonder if most of these videos are of the game being played in Easy mode. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like the default difficulty is much of a challenge.

Presentation videos are usually made with unkillable protagonist.
Keep in mind it's still PB game, there's a good chance in this game what's ridiculously easy to you is an impossible obstacle and unwinnable set of fights to Angry Joe. ;)

There's some great ideas going on here. Looking forward to it. I never managed to get into Risen but the concepts here sound ace. Just hope they sort out a decent combat system.

Well, the RPC video obviously has some cheat enabled because you can see that the hit bar does not (or only very barely) budge when the character is hit. They have either given the main character millions of HP or turned on god mode for that demo.

In the LP with Gronkh, however, we could see that you can die very quickly by getting one-shot or one-hit in the early game (as it should be). Especially in the final part of the LP, he died a lot towards the end when he was just messing around and about Edan's outskirts.

That said, I am convinced that -just like the Risens- the game will still be very easy, even on hard, for us PB vets who know this engine and the typical weak spots inside out by now (like the poor AI and pathfinding).

You have awesome mobility here with the jetpack and the evasion roll. Both have a limited pool and sort of a cooldown mechanic but it should be easy enough to manage your overall mobility and to apply kiting strategies.
Just don't get hit to avoid the one-hit/one-shot death. Easy.

The environment and world looks atmospheric. I like.
Still not sure how I feel about the scifi element, but let's see how it works out.

Moar Elex news (all credit are belong to WoE):

- You can follow (German) RPC live presentations of Elex on LetsPlay4charity at 11:30 CEDT (09:30 UTC) on Saturday and Sunday, May 27th and 28th.

- Elex is the cover story of German print mag's PC Games' upcoming issue. They got to play the game for five hours and, contrary to Gronkh, were able to try out all three factions via pre-made save games.

- The release date appears to be narrowing down on August according to the PC Games article. The THQ Nordic producer mentioned September a few weeks back at PAX so it may be coming out a little bit sooner than expected.

- Speaking about PAX, there is a video roundup on WoE with lots of footage from the event.

- Finally, there is also some pretteh new 4K res screenshots, secondly it's been announced that Koch Media (yep, the same Koch Media as the ones who own the Deep Silver label so that's kinda funny in an incestuous way) is going to distribute the game (physical boxed versions) in DACH, Italy & Benelux, thirdly there is a Collector's Edition on Amazon for PC, PS4 and Xbone and fourthly there's also some new faction artwork.

Back
Top Bottom