Siege of Dragonspear - Released

There were a few voices complaining about sexism in the Witcher. The scale of the fuss and the impact on the game were insignificant by comoatison. This mess goes far beyond half a dozen bloggers moaning.

Yes I agree Witcher didn't get the same amount of hate SoD is getting and I think thats down to the huge marketing budget W3 had to steam roll over all the negative reviews. I will say the same thing for DAI, which also had even bigger marketing budget to steam roll over all the negative comments.

But I will say this again, the over reaction isn't limited to one side as well. If you go to Blizzards forums recently you can see what I mean about the other side going at it just as venomously...

That doesn't seem to be the whole story, however (I have not played SoD yet). From what I have read, they have also changed the personalities of original BG characters significantly and broken the 4th wall a.k.a cracking a joke at GamerGate. The transgender dialog is by far not the only issue people are taking with the SJW stuff. There is an article here that sums it up rather well in my opinion.

They didn't change anyone personalities anymore than BG2 did. They fleshed out all the characters. In other word, gave them more than 10 lines of dialogues.

That blog is complaining about Safana being "pro-woman", looks like someone never pissed her off so she would leave the party in the original game. Her quote then is "This party needs new leadership, preferably female, most likely me" in BG1, but before you get there you get plenty of "women should be in charge" quotes from her. Safana was always DA2 Isabela (or Isabela was always an expy of Safana), nothing changed here.

As for breaking the 4th wall. Nothing will ever beat Larry, Daryl and Daryl asking if you want an autograph.

Cool post I found:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/740818/#Comment_740818
And just to add, with reference to critiquing the quality of writing in Siege of Dragonspear, I shall repost an observation I made on another thread about my current no-reload run of BGEE. (I am now in the city itself, if anyone is interested, and going strong!)

In my current no-reload run of BGEE I broke into a womans house in the middle of the night by forcing the door open (I know, I'm not proud of my actions). The woman's immeadiate reaction was to tell me to keep the noise down. I then proceeded to ask the woman whether she had any information on the mines. Her response wasn't to call the guards, or scream at me to get out, or to beg for her life, but instead to tell this well armed bunch of adventurers and killers that men have been dissapearing from the mines, and that her husband works their but hasn't been home for weeks.

Now, I know its a game. I know its not real. But when confronted by a bunch of well armed burglars who have broken into my house in the middle of the night, I know what my first thought/reaction would be. And it wouldn't be to ask them to keep the nosie down, and then have a conversation about my husband/wife's workplace.

Is this an example of bad writing? Has the forum been inundated by posts over the last few days that this example of bad writing needs removing. That it needs to be rewritten. That it breaks people's immersion in the game? That it ruins their overall enjoyment of BGEE and warrants a score of 0 out of 10 for the whole game on so many game review sites?

Anyway, as I said when I posted this observation earlier, I didn't dwell on the incident, took the ring back and she was happy. Job done!

Actually, and what I didn't admit earlier, was that I had already cleared out the mines and had the ring in my possession, and I smashed down that poor woman's door to trigger the quest and then immeadiately give her the ring. It was still job done though!

Can you imagine if we all went mad and posted screenshots every time we discovered a line of clunky writing in an RPG? It would be the greatest megathread we've ever seen, even without D'Art!

Does that poster realize that quest is from vanilla BG or was it just a very sarcastic post?

The game is now rated "mostly positive" on Steam. Positive (166) vs Negative (68).

No it isn't

Yes you are :)

Always keeping in mind that I actually didn't like BG all that much. BG2 is a different story though.

Ehhr, it looks like my memory served me correctly after all

"Minsc /ˈmɪnsk/ is a fictional character in the Baldur's Gate series of Dungeons … Minsc classifies Boo a "miniature giant space hamster"" sounds like quite modern writing to me.

Ehhr, it looks like my memory served me correctly after all

"Minsc /ˈmɪnsk/ is a fictional character in the Baldur's Gate series of Dungeons … Minsc classifies Boo a "miniature giant space hamster"" sounds like quite modern writing to me.
"Miniature giant space hamster" is from "Spelljammer", one of the AD&D settings where you sail from world to world through space (phlogiston). It's all magical though, which means you can connect it to any other D&D world like Faerun (Forgotten Realms) or Greyhawk.

tumblr_m0jg1wkbDO1qmlmz6o1_1280.jpg

"Miniature giant space hamster" is from "Spelljammer", one of the AD&D settings where you sail from world to world through space (phlogiston). It's all magical though, which means you can connect it to any other D&D world like Faerun (Forgotten Realms) or Greyhawk.

tumblr_m0jg1wkbDO1qmlmz6o1_1280.jpg

Wow, I see, then I understand. It is always good to ask and learn something new. Had never heard about that one before.

Back
Top Bottom