Cave of Sorrows - Live on Kickstarter

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The old school RPG Cave of Sorrows went live on Kickstarter today:

With your help we will be able to bring to life my dream of bringing back the old school feel of playing a CRPG.

Cave of Sorrows is not your eye-candy type of rpgs rather it focuses on gameplay and excitement, and replayability. Although the graphics are very well made and nice to look at, it is not the main focus.

So what are you waiting for help us out! Lets make this happen together.

About the Game:

Cave of Sorrows offers many hours of true role playing, hundreds of monsters to do battle with, all turn base. plenty of classes, and races. It has well over 30 dungeons to explore including caves :) about 15 villages and 3 main cities. Full customization of all of your character. In game map. The story is very deep and exciting with many twists and turns.
More information.

Looks good - backed. They had me at dungeons and dragons clone to be honest!

They could probably do with adding a few more digital tiers to the campaign though.

There is no background on the development team. Other than stating they like game x; how can we tell if they are capable of producing a good game (or a game at all) ?

Looks cool! We need more RPGs that use a deeper D&D-style ruleset.

@you, They showed a previous game they made, Mines of Grimvale, so maybe that can be some indication of whether they can deliver a good game.

Only $2500 needed? Even Flappy Bird needed more.

Only $2500 needed? Even Flappy Bird needed more.
RTFC! ;)
They're almost done and need the money for voice overs.

Backed.

We have added some of our new voices to the kickstarter page, scrolls down the page to hear some of them. let us know what you think. we have to get around 200 different sayings finished and lots of voice acting.

It was my impression that it was common knowledge that it were voicer overs (among others) that made "modern" computer games expensive.

It's those same guys AGAIN.

These are relentless shovelware artists. They've released multiple games in the last few months, most essentially the same game. This is their third Kickstarter in as many months, each one claiming to need just a small amount to complete or "improve" a game. The first one was cancelled when they were caught ripping off graphics from other artists. They've also been busted posting glowing reviews for their own products. Avoid.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragongamedesigns/humans-and-monsters

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragongamedesigns/isinica-clash-of-magic

If it is the same person then it is very dishonest to not create the kickstarter under the same person name.

I guarantee you it is the same bunch. Look at each KS I mentioned and you will see they are produced by "Ellis Studios". Then look at this new one - fourth line down, the link to "Full Size in-game Screenshots" - it's Ellis Studios again. Sometimes they also call themselves Dragon Game Designs.

I assure you, I would not be so hostile to an indie if I weren't convinced they were shady.

You will see in the Humans and Monsters KS, they wanted $250 dollars because: "The main reason I need funding is for a great game trailer along with some good graphics designer. " That was in October.

Then, in Isinica, it was : "We need to raise about $250 for promotion and marketing of our game." That was in November.

Now, under another account name, it's $2500 to add voice acting to the latest effort. All are essentially respins of the same game, and they are selling at least three other games that are more of the same. That is to say nothing about the asset stealing, and then calling the artists liars when they were called out on it. I suspect that is part of the reason they changed the name.

@dragongamedesigns, could you clarify this?

Thanks Ripper. It would be good to hear from the devs on this.

Ughhhhhhhh... Another ellis studio game...she makes them really fast and they arent good. I bought two of them, they looked cool at first glance, but wound up being an unfinished mess...
Its frustrating, she had potential to make something decent but rushes through all the projects, i wouldnt back this, you'll be disapointed...

There is no background on the development team. Other than stating they like game x; how can we tell if they are capable of producing a good game (or a game at all) ?
Like Ripper said the developer uses different names, but has made other RPG games.

Link - http://ellisstudios.org/games.html

Edit: I wouldn't mind paying less then $5 on Steam or other service, but wont back any of them. Also FYI everyone it's another RPG Maker game using the latest engine.

I guarantee you it is the same bunch. Look at each KS I mentioned and you will see they are produced by "Ellis Studios". Then look at this new one - fourth line down, the link to "Full Size in-game Screenshots" - it's Ellis Studios again. Sometimes they also call themselves Dragon Game Designs.

I assure you, I would not be so hostile to an indie if I weren't convinced they were shady.

You will see in the Humans and Monsters KS, they wanted $250 dollars because: "The main reason I need funding is for a great game trailer along with some good graphics designer. " That was in October.

Then, in Isinica, it was : "We need to raise about $250 for promotion and marketing of our game." That was in November.

Now, under another account name, it's $2500 to add voice acting to the latest effort. All are essentially respins of the same game, and they are selling at least three other games that are more of the same. That is to say nothing about the asset stealing, and then calling the artists liars when they were called out on it. I suspect that is part of the reason they changed the name.

Thanks for keeping on top of this rip.

crpgnut should comment. Apparently he has played all of their games, says they are worth $5 each or so. Not sure if he finished them and I don't know enough so won't comment further.

Regardless of their business practices, the Cave of Sorrows game looks interesting and like a game I would like to play. IF it is not broken. That's all I really ask.

Back
Top Bottom