The Outer Worlds - Review Roundup

So far I haven't seen anyone saying it crashes to desktop every 10 minutes like FO3 did on release (on my old machine).

There is however some consoley whatnot eyecancer giving effect called chromatic aberration you'll want to disable and there is no ingame option for that, so you need to edit an ini file:
https://www.thenerdmag.com/how-to-disable-chromatic-aberration-in-the-outer-worlds/
In folder: Users/(Username)/AppData/Local/Indiana/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor
File: Engine.ini
Add [SystemSettings] to the bottom of the file, if it isn’t already there
Under [SystemSettings], add r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

There are some reports the game refuses to save your progress (no autosave and manual save option is grayed out). It's most probably user level of the profile instead of administrator.

About performance, I've found the exact rig setup you have. IIRC. :)
https://steamcommunity.com/app/578650/discussions/0/1693843461182414318/#c1693843461182854011
morness 5 hours ago

i9900K, 2080Ti, 64GB RAM. Flawless 4K. My display can't do more than 60Hz, so vsynced it, and playing in borderless.
One of these days I'm gonna buy a space shuttle to use when in need to buy some groceries. :)

Last edited:
Yes but he asked about Obsidian's past releases. Now most recent were Unity games and this ain't one. Before that Obsidian was helping in some mmo noone cares about and prior to that they made a Bethesda engine game (F:NV) and checkpoints horror for Sega.

As F:NV is the closest to Outher Worlds stylewise (not completely sure, depends if the wild world trait is active by default or is cut out by Sawyer) and uses the same engine FO3 did, Gamebryo renamed to whatever so we pretend it's not Gamebryo any more, I had to mention FO3.
Note also that those frequent FO3 crashes I had at release were patched later and F:NV never crashed on my side. Although both games had numerous other bugs of which 90% were catastrophic engine related - Outer Worlds doesn't use Gamebryo luckily.

Anyway, I didn't have time to peek at ACG review so dunno what's so called helmet issue.

How stable does it seem from a technical standpoint? Is it a significant improvement compared to Obsidian's past releases? I was originally going to wait for a few patches first, but now I'm thinking of jumping in sooner.

I skim read a lot (~20) of reviews and none of them mentioned any problems, while several specificially talked about how bug/problem free it was. I've only played 5 hours or so, but I haven't experienced any problems either.

Whenever you transition to a new area, your currently equipped weapon comes out automatically. Whenver you press x, your weapons comes out. It doesn't happen with major NPCs because there's a discrete interactive space for that, but for generic NPCs like "colonist", "guard", etc. you end up sticking your gun in their face.

And @JDR13;

This is definitely not the case for me. I was curious so I just started up the game right now.

I went in and out of three loading areas as well as buildings. I went to guards, generic NPC's, named NPC's, etc. (EDIT: To be clear I am talking non-hostiles here)

My weapon never once "automatically" drew. So maybe its a setting you have or something else.

To be sure I transitioned twice at Edgewater (the town) where their are non-named guards. Weapon never came out.

I can control the weapon by drawing and sheathing. Have not had to worry about waving my weapon in anyone's face.

Not saying your experience is wrong either - mind you - just that this is not a universal thing as I do not get that same behavior.

EDIT TWO: Side thought. The middle mouse wheel is linked to going through weapon rotation. I notice I very often use the mouse wheel to try and pull back the view (probably because of my literally thousands of hours playing FO4 and Skyrim and having the mouse wheel tied to that). So it is easy to draw the weapon if you hit the mouse wheel. Just a thought it might be happening to others without noticing it.

And @JDR13;

This is definitely not the case for me. I was curious so I just started up the game right now.

I went in and out of three loading areas as well as buildings. I went to guards, generic NPC's, named NPC's, etc. (EDIT: To be clear I am talking non-hostiles here)

My weapon never once "automatically" drew. So maybe its a setting you have or something else.

To be sure I transitioned twice at Edgewater (the town) where their are non-named guards. Weapon never came out.

I can control the weapon by drawing and sheathing. Have not had to worry about waving my weapon in anyone's face.

Not saying your experience is wrong either - mind you - just that this is not a universal thing as I do not get that same behavior.

Interesting. I believe you that it's not universal and not happening in your game, but it's happening to quite a few people, based on comments on the sub-Reddit. I'll take a look at the settings and make sure it's not something I could have fixed on my own.

Right now, my biggest complaint would have to be the lack of a living world. Walking into building after building in town only to find them empty of people is a letdown.

Interesting. I believe you that it's not universal and not happening in your game, but it's happening to quite a few people, based on comments on the sub-Reddit. I'll take a look at the settings and make sure it's not something I could have fixed on my own.

Well, he's playing the PC version and you said you're on Xbox, right? That might be the difference.

Technically, Wisdom, Joxer, and Ripper are my alt nicks.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask for the past 13+ years, Hey @Myrthos;, is this allowed?

Right now, my biggest complaint would have to be the lack of a living world. Walking into building after building in town only to find them empty of people is a letdown.

I've never been on board with this. Having a bunch of cookie cutter automatons walking around that have nothing unique to say and no interactions just dilutes the whole experience as you walk up to one after the other and get nothing out of it. I like the more focused approach. As I'm sure you can tell, I never downloaded those generic NPC population mods for Elder Scrolls games. In Witcher 3, I had to train myself to ignore 95% of the people walking around. And please don't tell me it's "unrealistic" to have so few people in a town. There are thousands of ways in which a game (any game) doesn't reflect reality 1:1. Because it's a game.

I've never been on board with this. Having a bunch of cookie cutter automatons walking around that have nothing unique to say and no interactions just dilutes the whole experience as you walk up to one after the other and get nothing out of it. I like the more focused approach. As I'm sure you can tell, I never downloaded those generic NPC population mods for Elder Scrolls games. In Witcher 3, I had to train myself to ignore 95% of the people walking around. And please don't tell me it's "unrealistic" to have so few people in a town. There are thousands of ways in which a game (any game) doesn't reflect reality 1:1. Because it's a game.

That doesn't really have anything to do with what he said though. He didn't say there should be a ton more NPCs, he said a lot of the buildings were empty.

You don't need a gazillion NPCs, but going into buildings and finding no one in them certainly doesn't help the world feel more alive.

That doesn't really have anything to do with what he said though. He didn't say there should be a ton more NPCs, he said a lot of the buildings were empty.

You don't need a gazillion NPCs, but going into buildings and finding no one in them certainly doesn't help the world feel more alive.

I did make a bit of a jump there, but in order for buildings to not be empty, there would have to be more NPCs. And budgets and time being what they are, if there are more NPCs, they're probably going to be the kind of NPCs I described. I would love for the game to be bigger/longer, but it's been well documented that this wasn't a particularly big budget game.

For what it's worth, I don't remember a lot of buildings with zero NPCs in them anyway, unless they were homes. People don't spend all day in their homes. There are NPCs standing around in town, working at the cannery, etc. There are some buildings that are overgrown and abandoned, and in that case the lack of people is kinda the point.

Try entering during night. The bar is full of people for example as they're not working night shifts.

Thus I'll make a complaint. Will developers get rid of the silly day/night cycle already? It's irritating!

Also another complaint. Lockpicking needs enormous amount of ress. And usually the reward past the lock is a letdown cheaper than lockpicking mats. Is that Sawyer's brilliant balancing striking again?

Also another complaint. Lockpicking needs enormous amount of ress. And usually the reward past the lock is a letdown cheaper than lockpicking mats. Is that Sawyer's brilliant balancing striking again?

Once you get some points into it, most containers don't require any picks.

Most containers don't require any picks in my game. Only a few do. And doors.
And then I need to waste 5638834657863457896345 different and hard to gather stuff to open a rare locked door only to find some cheap food and a pistol behind it.

To be honest it's the first planet. Maybe the ultimate balance by Josh Sawyer isn't the same on other planets.

Doublepost bcs I have to. Basically you want to pump up lockpicking (stealth) asap to at least 50. I have no idea wtf system is that but okay.

I love the humor!

Last edited:
I downloaded it with a game pass membership. Was able to squeeze about 2 1/2 months worth of ultimate membership for $6, so I'm pretty happy. Playing on PC right now. No crashes in the 6 to 7 hours I've played.

I like ot so far. I'm working on gunning at the moment. I started off going to persuasion route, and I'm glad I did - there are a lot of early game speech checks. Stealth/lockpicking is around 40 or so. I'l have to bump that up to 50 based on Joxer's recommendation.

Also, the game is very, very easy. I recommend bumping it up to hard at least.

Back
Top Bottom