Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda

I think you could add "steady revenue stream" to that as well
Who can blame the Microsoft stands to gain 5 billion or more on Game-pass a year. That's more then any single game or games combined can make in one year.:evilgrin:

And it doesn't look one iota different, much less better. I've never bothered to install it and they gave it to me for free. All they did was update it for 64 bit support, and break script tools in the process. Supposedly it's "more stable" but it crashes just like any other Bethesda game.
They added a few graphic upgrades, more bug fixes, and paid creation mods. So yeah not much but it was definitely upgraded to run better then the classic version at least.

To summarize they took Fallout 4's upgraded engine and upgraded Skryim's.

That's true, but you're missing the whole point. Those mods do not exist for the 10-y/o console versions of the game, so this bug-ridden mess will forever look and run like shit unless it is remastered.

It's going to look like shit even if it is remastered if you compare it to any modern game. I don't see a big audience for such a thing who would not already have access to it on PC.

Last edited:
Are you actually purchasing the games on Gamepass? If not, I don't quite understand the fear of losing them. I assume dates for any games being removed will be shown ahead of time so that the subscribers know in advance.
I can't speak for @JFarrell71;, but to me it would be a bit of a waste of money. I only have time to play at most 10 hours a week, usually less unless I want fights with the wife about being married to the computer and not her.

This means I play one game at a time, and I can't finish a game quickly if it is going away. I have the same problem with TV/movie streaming. Too little time to make streaming worth the recurrent cost. For now at least.

I can't speak for @JFarrell71;, but to me it would be a bit of a waste of money. I only have time to play at most 10 hours a week, usually less unless I want fights with the wife about being married to the computer and not her.

This means I play one game at a time, and I can't finish a game quickly if it is going away. I have the same problem with TV/movie streaming. Too little time to make streaming worth the recurrent cost. For now at least.

Isn't it only $10 a month or something like that? Still, I get what you're saying. I expect most games will be on there for at least a year or more though.

Isn't it only $10 a month or something like that? Still, I get what you're saying. I expect most games will be on there for at least a year or more though.
Yeah, I don't know how much of a problem it would actually be, since I don't have it. This isn't so much a decision based on facts, as it is a decision based on a feeling that it would, at the very least, annoy me, and at worst make me a bit stressed. And maybe I would miss the chance to play something I would've liked.

And it doesn't look one iota different, much less better. I've never bothered to install it and they gave it to me for free. All they did was update it for 64 bit support, and break script tools in the process. Supposedly it's "more stable" but it crashes just like any other Bethesda game.

Never bothered to install it... but it doesn’t look different or better and crashes like any other Bethesda game?

lol I love these “experienced” opinions.

So… you can't think of any way I could experience the game without installing it myself, huh?

Not enough to make an informed opinion. Especially when those with firsthand experience can sense the ripe stench of sensationalized posts full of confirmation bias.

Most will argue their point to the grave though, since factual and/or statistical statements aren't what's important, but their ego.

It's equivalent to being in a relationship and saying "you always" or "you never". These are extreme exaggerations, because anyone in a rational state will admit that people don't actually "NEVER" or "ALWAYS".

64 bit support was big for modders though...it was a major block for a lot of mods that you had to use third party tools to make them work.

If Microsoft is not done buying yet I would like them to buy the Ultima IP off of EA. I'm sure one of inXile, Bethesda or Obsidian would do that IP more justice than EA ever would.

This x100...oh and get spacex to shoot Garriot far away.

Not enough to make an informed opinion. Especially when those with firsthand experience can sense the ripe stench of sensationalized posts full of confirmation bias.

Most will argue their point to the grave though, since factual and/or statistical statements aren't what's important, but their ego.

It's equivalent to being in a relationship and saying "you always" or "you never". These are extreme exaggerations, because anyone in a rational state will admit that people don't actually "NEVER" or "ALWAYS".

I've played Skyrim for 500 hours. I know what it fucking looks like.

64 bit support was big for modders though…it was a major block for a lot of mods that you had to use third party tools to make them work.

I assume by third party tool you mean skse? That may well be, but from a user perspective, there wasn't any change that I could discern. I was hopeful that there would be new, Special Edition only mods that would take advantage of some new functionality, but a few years of periodically checking Nexus told me that all people did was port old mods over and keep cranking out shallow waifu companion mods.

I've played Skyrim for 500 hours. I know what it fucking looks like.

U mad, Killer bro?

Apparently none of those hours were spent in SE. Got a huge spoiler for you:

It looks different! And from the hundreds of hours I’ve spent on it on PS4, PC and Xbox One, guess how many times it’s crashed?

1000 internets to the first person who guesses right.

U mad, Killer bro?

Apparently none of those hours were spent in SE. Got a huge spoiler for you:

It looks different! And from the hundreds of hours I’ve spent on it on PS4, PC and Xbox One, guess how many times it’s crashed?

1000 internets to the first person who guesses right.

Zero crashes.

Please send my 1000 internets in the form of trainloads of flashdrives.

Zero crashes.

Please send my 1000 internets in the form of trainloads of flashdrives.

I seriously have a buttload of flash drives. Just tell me where to mail them.

Just going to drop in my 2cents on MS buying Buthesda...big fish got eaten by a bigger fish,suits them right.

Microsoft bought Zenimax Media. Much bigger fish than just Bethesda Softworks :)

One of the original founders did an interview.

Bethesda founder discusses sale to Microsoft - Inverse
The surprising news that Microsoft will acquire Bethesda parent company Zenimax for $7.5 billion raises a whole slew of questions. Will franchises like Doom, Fallout, and Skyrim become Xbox exclusives? What does this mean for upcoming games like Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI? And what does Zenimax even gain from moving under the Microsoft umbrella?

Microsoft and Zenimax executives are saying silent for the most part on what this deal means for Bethesda, but the company's founder Christopher Weaver (who left in 2002) is free to speak on the subject. In 2007, Weaver was Zenimax's largest shareholder with a 33 percent stake in the company. Today, he says he holds "a pittance of the stock." Nevertheless, he remains an interested party, to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom