Last game(s) you bought

It's interesting to hear how much you like it, as some folks tend to maintain that we're all just wearing the nostalgia goggles. I still think it's great in many ways, and extremely immersive. I'd love to delete it from memory and start it again.
I'll try. Please note that I'm probably biased, I started with NWN and I'm quite nostalgic about it, and you could argue it's not that far from BG compared to recent games.

I've been tempted by BG a few times, but each time, after checking videos on the gameplay, I felt the aged graphics and an older D&D edition would quickly repel me. Time was also scarce, many other good games were available, and it just didn't happen. Even though I'd occasionally meet an RPG fan who would soon ask "Have you played BG?" ;)

So the perception I had was not so engaging, I had no doubt the core of the game was great but it gave the impression of being too outdated. I can understand this "nostalgia glass" notion new players have about it.

One can also read how annoying the pathfinding was (be that exaggerated or not), and how lame Beamdog's port was (it's not true), so that added to the hesitation. Until I recently saw their new beta 2.6 and all the problems it solved. That's when I decided to make the jump, because why not? On top of that, it went on sale, 8 EUR - you only get two or three sandwiches for that.

=> So far, I'd say playing BG is adopting it. I didn't have to be patient and "endure" the first hours before getting to like it, it came straight away. Despite the apriori, despite a failed attempt at Baldur's Gate Reloaded (the "port" to NWN2).

I only struggled (just a little bit) with D&D 2E, because I didn't know they were counting down instead of up, and so the explanation of THAC0 and AC in Beamdog's manual wasn't making any sense to me, along with a few other things ;) But I found the original manual, got a cup of coffee, and it became more clear.

The combat wasn't great at first, I'd lost the habit of RTwP, and frankly.. it's not always easy to see what's happening on a few pixels, and it's usually happening fast! :p That could also discourage someone new to the genre, or too spoiled by modern games, but it just requires a little getting-used-to.

IMHO, one has to like the cRPG genre, and not be discouraged by a few paragraphs of text to read (oops, I realize that's what I'm doing to you now - sorry for the long post! :biggrin:). Given that, this game has more than enough charm to make up for feeling aged. But again, perhaps I was already biased.

The story is engaging, the humour is fun, exploring is interesting. There are many little things that show the game is a labour of love, too. It even has day & night! And at night, try to find this shop keeper! He's sleeping :)

It's simple, this game puts a big grin on my face every time I play it.
Damn true but this post is how modern players feel.
[. . .]
This was taken from a post about BG3.
Wow! Well, I'm not entirely surprised. Perhaps if he tried it.. and perhaps it's not for everyone either.

Let me know if you think the same. Larian has an approach that makes the genre much more "affordable" to a larger audience: you can mess with the world, long texts are rare and there's voice acting anyway (and a very good one at that). It's less intimidating.

I've often heard people saying Larian's games are more combat than story (I may have said so myself). There is a story but it's diluted in dialogs, in lots of other things to do which are more casual. Or said differently, when I'm tired, it's easier for me to play D:OS2 or BG3 than Pathfinder, BG or NWN. But not as rewarding ;)

Excellent post. Thanks.

Wow! Well, I'm not entirely surprised. Perhaps if he tried it.. and perhaps it's not for everyone either.

Let me know if you think the same. Larian has an approach that makes the genre much more "affordable" to a larger audience: you can mess with the world, long texts are rare and there's voice acting anyway (and a very good one at that). It's less intimidating.

I've often heard people saying Larian's games are more combat than story (I may have said so myself). There is a story but it's diluted in dialogs, in lots of other things to do which are more casual. Or said differently, when I'm tired, it's easier for me to play D:OS2 or BG3 than Pathfinder, BG or NWN ;)
That's a little to long to discuss in full in this thread. So suffice it to say I'm a RTwP supporter and a fan of past Larian games. Basically everything pre-Original Sin.

1. Divine Divinity
  2. Beyond Divinity
  3. Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
  4. Divinity: Dragon Commander
Your right about the Original Sin games focusing more on combat and environment effects over story. Still they have been improving with every new release lately.

Anyway I love most RPGs released today despite my grumbling on the forum. The threads on Baldur's Gate 3 don't reflect my entire opinion on the game either.

Only played about 1h so far. So far it's easier than regular souls games. Haven't died once, for one. As you as you can manage hit/dodge/hit/etc you can manage, so far. Seems it's more souls-like in mechanics, not in the difficulty.

But it's obvious that it's not as polished as other indie games. It's a little rough, but perfectly playable. I'd recommend maybe watching some more release gameplay if you can find any.

Remember when I said it's easier than Souls games. Well, I just reached one of the seven acolytes, one of the 7 main boses, and he killed me in 2 hits. So, yeah. Nevermind. And I do very little damage. I'm gonna half to dodge roll until my ears bleed, with the current weapon I have.

I didn't purchase this, but I got a key for a Wolcen expansion, I guess because I sponsored the game way back when. I've still not even played the base game, but I will get around to it someday.

I didn't purchase this, got it as a birthday gift yesterday, Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition. It looks like a souped-up RPG maker game, so I'm looking forward to trying it out if I ever complete Cold Steel three!

Really starting to question my ever increasing gaming backlog. I wonder if I'll ever get to at least the best of them.
Don't remind me, I'm trying to forget about this problem :D (and then, there are the books…)

And to help with that, I just bought Disco Elysium. I'm so easily corruptible.

Don't remind me, I'm trying to forget about this problem :D (and then, there are the books…)

And to help with that, I just bought Disco Elysium. I'm so easily corruptible.

I'm not sure when it's coming out, but there's an expanded version of DE coming, with full voice acting. Since you've already waited this long, you may want to hold off until that's released.

I'm not sure when it's coming out, but there's an expanded version of DE coming, with full voice acting. Since you've already waited this long, you may want to hold off until that's released.

I believe the final cut of DE is coming out in march 2021. I'm also waiting for that to have a serious playthrough. It's an exquisite game, from the little I played.

Thanks! :)

That's the Final Cut they announced recently, right? Luckily the upgrade will be free for all owners of the game. They announced March 2021, apparently, I'll probably get a peek before.

Bought from the excellent GoG winter sale:
- Silent Hill 4 the room (don't judge me!)
- Batman Arkham Asylum

Contemplating buying Arkham Knight - played it on PS4 (not the premium content) and it is a Batman simulator masterpiece, from the atmosphere, the story, the characters, the action, and I even enjoyed the driving aspects.

Okay okay, because discount + more discount by uPlay points, I bought AC Vikings.
Gold Edition ofc.
It won't get my goty vote (Helix microtranactions), but I've plodded through all of potential candidates in this year so I can go play some ingame loitering, right?

Back
Top Bottom